Steel case ammo

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Beendare, Oct 18, 2019.

1. soggy_spinout

soggy_spinout G23 addict

When brass cased ammo is as cheap or nearly so--especially when buying in bulk--I don't feel the compelling need to piss off the range masters with steel or aluminum cased ammo. And when I'm shooting outdoors on private/public lands, well it doesn't matter because of the lack of enough difference in cost.

2. MD357

MD357

I used to shoot steel ammo all the time years ago, through various platforms, even using it through a Wilson KZ9 I used to own, with no issues. Now like others have mentioned, not really much of a price difference. I will buy a box or two when vetting carry guns to see if it will run on crap ammo like Tulsa.

3. Bradley T

Bradley T

Yeah, I need to learn how to save money somehow. Let me ask you this.. Do you think some of that steel ammo is loaded a little hotter? Seemed like it was, but I only had that 50 round box with me. Nothing to compare it to that day.

4. cheygriz

cheygriz God Bless Trump

I think it might be. It's military grade.

5. Bradley T

Bradley T

Actually, I'm not real sure. The Winchester had "brass" the box, but that refered to the bullet. That Monarch my friend shot had steel cases and steel in the bullet jacket. The range guy told me that steel bullets are what causes those sparks off the backstop upon bullet impact. I'm not real sure if it matters which it is. The range guy picks up those spent cases and probably doesn't like steel or aluminum, and he don't want steel "almost-armor-piercing" shot at his backstop. Really, Blazer or Champion are so cheap and runs really well, might as well just get that.
    I was Academy yesterday, and on the aisle end they had some of that Winchester Active Duty sitting there. I keep trying to figure out a way to get back out there and get some of that! How's that ammo perform?

6. FL-obiwan

FL-obiwan

I've had good luck with "Brown Bear" in my 9mms. Wolf gives me occasional misfires but since its only range ammo I get to practice malf drills. I also use steel cased ammo in my AK and AR. Never a problem. Again, its only range ammo. I have good ammo in all the appropriate calibers for non range use. As a precaution I frequently clean the striker channels in the 9mms. Lots of crud ends up in there if I don't.

7. Beendare

Beendare Stick and String, SME, NRA life member

Good to know...thx for the replies

8. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

I bought some at WM on rollback...saved a good bit of $. I also bought 1000 rds of AL case 45 acp. For what I use it for, it's fine. I've yet to have any ammo issues with ferrous or AL case ammo and my Glocks. I do notice, like WWB, the Tul smokes up the inside of my slides. No big deal, though...it washes right out.

9. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

When I was loading, I didn't find Glock chambers very forgiving. Ammo that would not go to battery in my Glock would feed and function fine in other brands.
    I was new to reloading pistol, and did get a little short on the sizing stroke. Otherwise the ammo was fine and I still have some hanging around for a rainy day. Well, not shooting 9MM helps. LOL
    To the question of steel cased ammo. It should work just fine. The casings, if like rifle ammo and I don't see a reason it wouldn't be, is mild enough to be about the same hardness factor of brass. It doesn't expand like brass, so expect a little more cleaning time. My next broken extractor will be the first.
    I never used pistol ammo that was steel. I shoot a ton of the Tula that is supposed to be just short of a satanic load, and see no reason to change that. My AR does a fine job with it. Not as small grouping as good brass case, but if you want that, bring your checkbook.
    I clean after range day, so that could be a factor.

10. nmglock

nmglock

Have used it in Glocks with no problems at all. If its cheap enough buy it!

Paul53 likes this.
  11. Schrag4

Schrag4

My guess is they test the ammo by putting the entire cartridge up to a magnet. How would they know which component is attracted without pulling a bullet? I don't see ranges pulling bullets -customers might not like that, either, after all.

12. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

A lot of places use the magnet test. Most don't want the projectile to be bi-metal. They claim it messes up backstops. BS. It can cause sparks and be a fire hazard.
    Most of the ones that don't allow steel, also forbid picking up your own brass. They want to collect and sell it. It is a common practice, like it or not.

O4L and FullClip like this.
  13. GlockyQ

GlockyQ

My experience with steel cased ammo is limited to TulAmmo 115gr FMJ. I’ve fired a total of 2,700 rounds of it through one of my G43’s with no malfunction of any kind. Even though they were relatively weak and very dirty, they all worked as they should.

That being said, I quit using TulAmmo because I can get better quality aluminum cased or even brass cased ammo for less than $0.17 a round shipped free to my door. Besides, my local indoor range, where I started shooting more often these days, does not allow bi-metal bullets. So there is little incentive for buying low quality steel cased ammo.

14. Intolerant

Intolerant

I dont much care for steel case in any ammo brand. But thats just my own thoughts on it.
    I`ve tried some of the russian stuff, winchester forged, both had feed & ejection issues in my G43. My G26 didnt like it much either. Steel cased didnt seem to bother any of my M&P`s though. But at the end of the day, if i`m gonna have to pick up spent cases, i`d much rather it be brass. Its a reloading thing...lol. If you reload, steel case ammo dosent make much sense, to me anyway.

15. DienBienPhu

DienBienPhu Glock pistols designed by Gaston Glock , Austria

I tested Winchester forged in my G19 , G26 , G34 , XD9

just to test function / reliability with no problems, I didnt like the sooty residue on the cases from loading magazines (dry lube) but it does have a copper jacketed FMJ bullet

I dont plan to buy anymore steel cased 9mm ammo, I just wanted to test a few boxes see if it was reliable, I fired over 500 rds of it.

16. Buckeye63

Buckeye63

The only steel cased ammo I use is for my SKS's and Ruger American in 7.62x39

17. cciman

cciman

That Winchester Forged is serious crap ammo. Stay away from it unless you want to practice failure drills.

Wolf, Tula, bear stuff is fine, I use alot of that stuff.

18. notorious_kfc

notorious_kfc

I’ve shot cases and cases of steel ammo without a problem, both 9mm and 223. I have never had a problem.

Indoor ranges don’t want steel cased ammo because they have to sort it out when they sweep up and sell the brass casings

I’ve never seen the Winchester stuff though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. zennashton

zennashton

I use a bit of metal ammo I also bought a box of that Winchester ammo. It all ran fine in my glocks. My sigs hated it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

20. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

It is filthy ammo to be sure, but it functions well in my Glocks as well as my P365. My buddy had issues with it with his P365 but I've been fine with it, running perhaps 150 of that USA Forged through it. Just dirty.