Steam cleaning your Glock???

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by THEFROZENTUNDRA, Jul 18, 2007.

1. THEFROZENTUNDRA

THEFROZENTUNDRA Glock Power

I have had my G21 for almost ten years, and I shoot probably 500 rounds each year. One of my friends had heard that you should have your Glock steam cleaned after so many years. I had never heard of that myself. I clean my Glock after every shoot. Is steam cleaning an option? And is it recommended? Any other way to throughly clean your Glock?

2. Gecko10

Gecko10

Steam cleaning is a new one on me. Gun Scrubber, Brake Cleaner, Simple Green or even Dish Washers are the usual detail cleaning mediums.

If your 21 is a carry gun then most people would recommend that it be completely detail stripped once a year or so, depending on how much you shoot, cleaned and parts inspected.

I use hot water and Simple Green for this sort of cleaning.

3. vafish

vafish

Same here.

I can't imagine steam cleaning hurting a Glock, but I've never heard that it was mandatory.

Simple Green is a great degreaser with none of the toxic issues of break cleaner or gun scrubber. You just need to flush it good with hot water afterwards and dry the gun well. A hair dryer works great for this.

4. coverdog

coverdog Platinum Member

A dish washer is a excellent way to introduce lead to the interior surface of the dish washing machine and transfer it to dishes later. I guess a little lead won't hurt the wife and kids, right.

5. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

We tested a steam cleaner and an ultra-sonic cleaning tank when I was in the Marines. The steam cleaner worked great did no harm if you dried and oiled ALL parts of the weapon imediatly.

6. Torontogunguy

Torontogunguy

I bought a gun from an MP last year and he said that they were using an ultrasonic cleaner regularly with soap and water.

7. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

The ultra-sonic was realy cool. You would hang the weapon in the tank, turn it on and watch crud just fall out of it. These were M16A2, M9, M1911, M40A1 that were inspection clean but we lost it when we put in a M249 SAW. It just kept bleading carbon. The only proplem was the origional solvent was hard on plastic. It turned grey and stickey. The company that got it after us used a different solvent without problems.

8. PzGren

PzGren

Steam cleaning?! Maybe I could just drop it off at the drycleaners?

Seriously, this is unheard of and will not be necessary. What should the steam exactly do?

9. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Steam cuts grease and oil and gets into every little place that dirt and carbon collect. It would be a bit extreme for daily cleaning but some times it is nice to get all of the crud out of a weapon.

10. PzGren

PzGren

While it might cut grease and dirt, how will it be carried out? How would it be economically applied and how would the gun be economically dried and relubed?

I used an ultrasonic tank, chemicals, all kind of commercial gun cleaning solutions and oils, and - of course - the physical method called brushing with lots of elbow grease:).

Even took the G3 into the shower with me.

11. THEFROZENTUNDRA

THEFROZENTUNDRA Glock Power

Yea, I told my friend he was crazy when I heard that about steam cleaning. I may try the Simple Green and water and dry it with a hair dryer. I'm not a big fan of putting metal in water if its not needed, but I bet a hair dryer will quickly dry the metal components in the frame to prevent rust.

12. vafish

vafish

I wouldn't worry to much about your Glock rusting.

I fell out of a canoe on a trip with mine. It was 3 days before I could detail strip and re-lube it.

Not a bit of rust.

13. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

When we did M16s they are so hot after the steam most of the water evaporates imediatly. Hit them with an air hose to blast the water out of the springs and pins then spray with CLP. It was the fastest I ever cleaned a 16. I might not do it on a fine english double but on a combat weapon it works great.

14. Gecko10

Gecko10

Point well taken!!!!!!

15. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Actually, dry cleaning is an option that used to be used by military armorers, not sure if it still is. Basically just using dry cleaning fluid as a solvent.

16. Matrix62

Matrix62

I have a 2 gallon bucket of the "poly dunk kit" for my Glock. 30 minutes of soaking will get it real clean.

17. Newbee1970

Newbee1970 Guest

Has anyone heard of a bath in CLR? I was recently asking about how to clean a polymer frame, and a range instructor told me the shop gives their glocks a bath in CLR.

18. Steve in Az

Steve in Az Walther PPQ

I guess I'm a little strange, I use gun cleaning products.

;)

19. bayshtyshorty

bayshtyshorty

Yeah, I may strange too...solvent and a brush? NAHH :tongueout: :supergrin:

20. noway

noway

ditto

I've own glocks for a tad bit over 14years, never once have any gun of mind need any heavy cleaning.

Now if I was a SF-ranger,crawling thru mud,muck,sand,etc........than maybe.

I think alot of people worry to much and like to make things harder than what it really should be. 10mins on my frame with a nylon brush and rag, and about 10mins on the barrel and 1 min lubing it back up and in the gun storage she's goes.

Steam not needed ;)