StealthGearUSA VentCore IWB Holster ?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Eric2340, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Eric2340

Eric2340 Infidel :)

Has anyone tried one of the StealthGearUSA VentCore IWB Holsters yet?

http://stealthgearusa.com/holsters/sgusa-ventcore-holsters-for-the-glock-19-23-32.html

I'm on my once a year it seems like trek to try a new carry method other than either OWB carry or pocket carry before I give up on pocket carrying my G26 which is not totally ideal, and just go back to pocket carrying a S&W 442 in .38 Spec almost all the time. :( I live in So. Fla and have basically only found pocket carry to be the only thing I am truly comfortable with, mostly with a concealed hammer J-frame, or like currently with a G26 which is not 100% ideal compared to the speed and ease at which I can do it with the little non-snag .38 special. :(

I get one this once a year kick it seems between this holster and that, only to find myself reverting to the one of the two (again, J-fame or G26) as the only thing I find I can really live with for extended time in this never ending heat and humidity. :( Larger shirts and or vests are next to impossible, so the only thing left is IWB which I really do not like comfort wise as is, not to mention I weigh in around 300 lbs or so (no fat jokes or "just loose weight" statements please - it's not that simple if you've never had to live it :( ). I've tried several GOOD IWB holsters before, between Crossbreed's design and some others (Milt Sparks, what not). I found the N82 Squared design to be VERY comfortable, but I did not like the bulk of it :( and did not like the "twist to draw" function either.

I'm tempted to give the StealthGearUSA VentCore IWB design a whirl due to their return policy, but I'd kind of like to hear if anyone has been down this road also if they have with them???

Thanks -

PS - I'm looking to carry either a G26 or hopefully a G19 in it.

2. gadgetnut259

gadgetnut259

I have one and it is (by far) my favorite holster. As a matter of fact, it's the only one I use anymore. When I got mine (for a Walther PPS) they used to call it the Onyx. Now that style is just referred to as VentCore. They are well made and super comfortable. But the absolute best thing about them is that they breathe! If you've ever carried in a hot, humid climate, you know how miserable it can be. The Stealthgear doesn't have that problem.
    Also, they definitely stand behind their return policy. I had originally gotten an appendix carry IWB from them, but later decided that appendix carry just wasn't for me. They let me return it for a standard 2-clip IWB with no problems. Great to deal with.
    Here is a link to a brief review I posted of mine (with pics).
    https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/stealthgear-onyx-review-for-pps-pics.1610065/

3. Dick Danger

Dick Danger

I'm 6'1" 280-300 depending how much change I have in my pockets. Usually I wear 44 Levis but size up to 46 to accommodate IWB carry. I carry a G26 in a VentCore standard, standard, not the mini. The longer spread between the clips seems to help with comfort and weight distribution. This holster is the best IWB system I've ever used. Having said that, I still find the Kramer pancake holster to be the most comfortable holster I've ever used.

I conceal both under Dickies heavy weight t-shirts. For OWB carry I buy the extra tall version and have my tailor hem them to a more appropriate length. I live and work in an extremely casual environment, so that may not work for everyone.

The VentCore rig is reserved for times when deep concealment is paramount. This is a major highlight of the StealthGear system, the ride height is very adjustable, and easily so. On my body, I can get the firearm riding so low the grip just barely peeks out from my waistband. And with the VentCore backing you don't get the swampass feeling from having a kydex or leather panel stuck to your skin. Does that compromise your grip on the draw...yes it does, but not much. And the ability to go commando comfortably is worth it.

My only disappointment with the StealthGear system is in mag pouches. I gave up IWB mag carry long ago. The only OWB option they offer sets the magazines at an extreme rake and they end up poking me in a tender spot. I carry spare mags in a Kramer horsehide dual mag pouch.

One thing to keep in mind, the kydex will wrap around the muzzle a bit. A holster made for the G26 will not fit a G19 without a little cutting.

4. Eric2340

Thanks guys -

As I said I get on this once a year "let's try this holster this time" thing as I have never really found an IWB holster that was really comfortable aside from the N82 Squared, this side of an OWB holster. I really did NOT like the draw system of the N82 Squared plus it's bulk with the clip being mounted on the outside of the shell either. I DID like the padding on it vs leather, hence why I am asking about the VentCore.

Again, I live in So. Fla, so heat and humidity are a constant issue about 10 months out of the year. :( Being 5'-9" at 300lbs does not help either, but let's not get into that right now, I'm working on it. :) Even with using pants / shorts one side larger, I've never really found an IWB holster I was comfortable with, even the hybrid style, but again most of them have been of the leather backed design (Cross Breed, Alien, etc.). I've got a couple of OWB I like, but obviously IWB has some advantages. I HAVE found that pocket carry DOES seem to work better for me, but I am also finding with that I am seeing that a 5 shot J-frame seems work best and be the fastest drawing for ME. Now the only problem with all that is you've basically stuck with a 5 shot revolver :( and pretty much in .38 Spec/+P mainly (I find .357 Mag in such a gun to pretty much work against it's self vs the advantages of the same gun in a .38 Spec).

Anywho, I'd really like to find a comfortable IWB holster that works for ME if possible vs using pocket carry, and that's kind of my point here. I just need something with soft padding and enough of it between me and the gun to make this comfortable so I can live with it. I thinking with VentCore's return policy it might be at least worth trying to see if it's a feasible solution finally for me?

Thanks again -

5. AL Bundy's Dodge

AL Bundy's Dodge

I feel your pain and i think you are going in the wrong direction with the tactical, menacing named holsters

Have you tried a smartcarry worn in the same position a regular holster rides in? The waist strap doesn't even have to be fastened tightly

Or a mic holster? That adds zero bulk and the gun adjusts in you waistband according to your body

6. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I have a couple SG VC holsters both for a G43, one is a IWB mini, one AIWB, both are my most comfortable IWB's (I also have CB MT). Not quite as thin as a CB MT with the horsehide option, but close. Definitely cooler and dryer.

I actually wear the IWB mini in appendix fashion occasionally when I am going to be mainly in the car, the added cant and padded edges makes my leg happy.

7. Eric2340

No, I have not tried the Smartcarry, but I also can't see how it could work in a traditional holster position (side? 4 o'clock?), and forget the way it's intended to be worn (front), that simply is not going to work due to *ah-em* my shape. :)

Mic holsters I've avoided even knowing they are thinner, due to lack of padding on them for comfort in more "softer" spots. :(

I've got a couple of pancake holsters I've tried that I'm not 100% with, and I'm also considering possibly a more traditional Avenger style holster also?

Thanks -

PS - Carry gun is going to be either a G26 or preferably a G19 if possible, but I am sure more realistically it'll be my G26.

8. Eric2340

Again, having tried the hybrid style, especially given the Crossbreed it's self, I was really surprised I could not get it to where it was comfortable given it's reputation. :(

Again, I did find the additional padding of the N82 Squared design very comfortable, and give the similarity between it and the VentCore I may have to at least give it a whirl to at least say I tried it?

Thanks -

9. AL Bundy's Dodge

AL Bundy's Dodge

Well, I'm "padded" too and both of those work for me with even a g17. You can simulate a mic holster by trying mexican carry for a day without a round chambered. In my experience, a g26 grip is too short for this, but a 19 up works fine. I like 2-3 o'clock

Smartcarry, loosely fasten it in 3 o'clock position, pull up and button your pants, make final holster adjustment so grip is above your waistband, tighten your belt.

A year ago i too would have scoffed at these suggestions, but ended up trying them for various reasons. Don't just write them off, They work!

10. gadgetnut259

gadgetnut259

You really do need to try holsters for yourself and see what works. It can be an expensive search, so buying from places with good return policies helps a lot. I personally tried a few "Wal-Mart" holsters, a N82, a SmartCarry (is that a gun in your pants, or are you happy to see me), and a kydex variant. Every single one of those was successfully returned for a full refund. My Stealthgear is staying. But yes, you have to try stuff for yourself.

11. Eric2340

No, I understand that fully, trust me I've been doing this and working at it for years back and forth trying to find "the one" and also have the obligatory "box of holsters" anyone who carries for any amount of time winds up gaining in the process. :)

I'm at the point now I'm still open to new designs (like the various hybrids we've discussed) and just want some real world opinions before a jump and try yet another one again is all.

Someone mentioned the thinner traditional IWB kydex holsters before like the Zorn "skinny" one, anyone have experience with that one??

Thanks -

12. gadgetnut259

gadgetnut259

One other thought...Stealthgear also has their Revolution line now. I don't have any experience with them, but they look to me like a "budget" variation of the VentCore design. Maybe not made quite as nice, but they look to be even thinner (and less expensive).

13. alztybrn

alztybrn

I have the SG Ventcore and carry my G26 in it daily...also 5'11" 265. This is my favorite holster I have used. I live in VA so it is quite warm/humid here as well, and the holster breathes very well...I recommend it very highly...

gadgetnut259 likes this.
  14. Brent917

Brent917

I have one each of the stealthgear, one ventcore one revolution. Both work great with the ventcore being a bit more comfortable.

Also, if you get one for a 26 they will make it with an open muzzle end so that it would work with a 19, 17, etc.