close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stealing Fire Apparatus

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by FirNaTine, Jan 17, 2007.

1. FirNaTine

FirNaTine

2. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Article doesn't really match your title.....

Scott

3. FirNaTine

FirNaTine

It should match now. Don't know how that happened.

4. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

I'm confused. The firefighters that were in the store were reprimanded and fined. Fined for what? I don't see that they were doing anything wrong.

5. FirNaTine

FirNaTine

They left the apparatus unattended. I know many departments require you to leave at least one person with the apparatus on non-emergency details.

6. Tvov

Tvov

I had heard of fire trucks being "stolen" (you can't really steal them, lol, usually joyriding), but I kind of thought it was an "urban myth".

In our department, the driver of the truck stays with the truck. If he needs or wants to leave it, he must arrange with someone else to operate the truck and get clearance from an officer.

We do leave our trucks parked outside the firehouse, usually on Sunday mornings when we are working around the place. We never leave equipment out overnight, just because of the typical concerns about teenagers messing with it.

7. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

Ah, I didn't know that. We leave ours unattended all the time. Pretty sure I wouldn't like it if we changed. I'm usually the AO so I'd get stuck twiddling my thumbs while everyone else went inside.

8. FirNaTine

FirNaTine

Nah. I am usually the operator also, but I still stick the rookie with babysitting the engine. Heck, some of 'em enjoying sitting up front for a change.

Think about where you can go in an engine, and why it would be bad if the wrong person stole them. I will leave it at that.

9. KyInvestigator

KyInvestigator Sanibel Island!

My service had one years ago...we were on standby when we noted one of our sister units running code-3 right by us....funny how that was happening without being dispatched. After a quick call to dispatch and a check by them with the crew, it was noted that while they were writing reports on multiple patients in the ER, one lonely person decided to take advantage of the idling unit to get back to New Orleans from Gulfport.

On a positive note, an ambulance all lit up and running hot with a novice driver really is fun for the LEO's to catch...and it gives LOTS of ammunition for the jokes that will abound for months at the crew's expense! :rofl:

10. 00blkgt

00blkgt

We leave ours unattended while grocery shopping and training all the time.
    J

11. 4095fanatic

4095fanatic

Same... we don't leave the ambulance running outside the hospital that often (fumes issues), but we leave pieces running un-attended on incident scenes all the time. For grocery shopping and the like, we usually don't leave anyone at the engine specifically to guard it (though if someone doesn't need anything from the store they'll usually stick with the unit). We trust our community... probably going to bite us sooner or later, but I'm hoping my faith in humanity is justified.

12. MellowYellow928

MellowYellow928

Our newest engine has locks on the doors and on the EMS cabinets but in my town deer are the only thing we have to worry about and unless they start performing GTA then I think we're safe :)