static electricity is it a issue ?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by catwrench, Feb 27, 2010.

1. catwrench

catwrench

Waiting for dillon loader to show up and i noticed a static charge in the rooms around the house,i am thinking this could creat a problem when reloading.so have any of you guys had to deal with this and if so what was your salution. just to play it safe what i had in mined is to run a ground wire from loader to electrical ground circuit. is this over kill please give me your opinion .

2. n2extrm

n2extrm

IMHO and experience the worst issue I ever had with staic is the powder can and will stick to plastic surfaces. For instance the powder funnel or measure. Some folks will take a dryer sheet and wipe these surfaces to prevent static build up and "cling". I think you will be fine and the ground wire is over kill. If you ground it to a pipe or something I guess it would not do harm in anyway. But I never ever heard of anyone having a problem.

3. catwrench

catwrench

thanks just didn't know how big of issue it was , and i will give dryer sheet ago jim

4. Spoklahoma

Spoklahoma

5. mnhogrider

mnhogrider

I've had static problems with the powder funnel on my 550B where the powder flakes will get sticky inside the funnel and will drop the charge sloppy. Some will drop out of the funnel as it's coming out of the case and it'll spill on the shell plate.

I take a piece of dryer sheet and wrap it around a pipe cleaner and run it through the funnel before starting a loading session. It takes care of it.

This only happens in the winter with things being so dry. I don't have this problem in the summer.

6. kendric98

kendric98

7. BHP9

BHP9

You can take off the plastic tube from the powder measure and wash it in soap and warm water, dry it very well before use.

I use the used dryer sheet method.

8. catwrench

catwrench

Thats the way i will used dryer sheets

9. AltiDude

AltiDude

Look what happened to the Hindenberg. Oh the humanity!

10. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

My progressive reloaders are grounded. Its not hard and it cant hurt, might help.

Static can be a real issue with powder dispensing machines like the RCBS Chargemaster.

11. BHP9

BHP9

I use dryer sheets in my Chargemaster and it eliminates the static