close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Statesville, NC Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Patricia, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Patricia

Patricia Wild at heart CLM Millennium Member

I'm guessing there will be some interesting stories to tell from this match. Hope you all had fun.

2. Nan

Nan

Yes, ma'am there will be, and I was only there for about 16 hours! I can't imagine what will happen with the folks who spent the whole week-end!

Dinner on Friday was great. Both service and food improved tremendously from last year and the company was outstanding! The service was so good, in fact, that I heard one of the attendees was later kneeling to the porcelain god, but that's just a rumor.;c ;c ;c

Dan and I wanted to shoot early and leave early, since we kenneled all four dogs and would have had to shoot ourselves upon viewing the bill for three days, instead of one. So, we got to the range before the ro's.

Scott was doing a superb job under very shorthanded circumstances. Thanks for everything! ;c

I had my best match ever. Not practicing too much seems to be working! I shot the plates clean for the first time and had no misses. I shot around a 225.

Dan also had his best score ever. He shot around a 112 and was hoping to be in the running for high Old Fart. I told him Fireglock would be high Old Fart. Dan apparently A)forgot about the big birthday (He wasn't high Old Fart last year!) and B)thinks FG should be a master. (Well, that just frosts my Corn Flakes!;Q )

All in all, we had a great time!

3. Nukem

Nukem

Darn –but that’s fun! I shot my G26 and it purred along like a kitten. Wife says I was shooting REAL slow… this was my first match since Anderson last year and I must be a little rusty. ;Q
    Surprising was the number of folks with jams. Every relay on the Five to Glock had at least one person with a jam/problem of some sort.
    We arrived a little after 1100 hours and left at 1430 hours…darn fast for a Saturday. RO’s were outstanding. They really did an outstanding job.
    PLUS got to introduce myself and shake hands with the legendary DannyR…
    ;f

4. jay.shebuski

jay.shebuski

...Well Done! My hats off to the ROs and volunteer range help. Super job!

...Team Sidearmor was there in force!

Had some great conversations covering the current military issue handgun..and also some military occupation specialties..besides the normal Glock banter.

My 17 performed flawlessly again. I should have bought this gun 15 years ago. Maybe if Clint Eastwood would have had a Glock 17 instead of a M29. "Was it 16 rds or 17 rds, in all the excitement, I forget myself....."

...see you in Atlanta!

Jay

5. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

I had a wonderful time but no great shakes in the shooting department. Perfect weather and I showed up at the tail end of registration. Shot three guns and the only wait time I had was loading magazines to feed the guns.

I got to put a face to some of the names of GLOCK Talk and for the first time decided to write down my scores. I can not say how much better it is to come home and add up the numbers for some unofficial feedback.

In the three matches I have attended over the 2000,2001 season I shot my G26 better in every one. This time however my G17 beat it by about 15 seconds and my G34 got me to about 108 seconds. One day I will find some space in the mountains to practice these stages and maybe break 100.

I really appreciated the RO's also. In the 5 to GLOCK stage I was by myself with three guns. The RO had me set one each w/magazines on a table and shot them in sequence. One right after the other. Then we went back and scored the stage. I love showing up late to shoot! :)

6. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

I noticed a certain young man shooting for TEAM SIDEARMOR (dang good , I might add!) without the aid of any SIDEARMOR gear. I'm told the gear is in in the mail and he'll really be a hot shooter the time I see him.

Good luck James and don't wear that shirt to school. Once they firgure out that's a gun in a way too cool holster...

Bob

7. JWG_34

JWG_34 TeamCarverMount

See what happens when you put together a great bunch of guys and gals for a great day of friendly competition. You get nothing but a whole lot of fun.

8. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Well, Martha and I are home. It was a wonderful weekend. We had nearly 30 for dinner Friday night and 20 on Saturday night. Great food and fellowship. Certain folks from NJ and FL provided the entertainment.

While at the range Saturday, shooting my worst match in over two years, I had the pleasure of meeting many of our GT'ers. I offer no excuses for my poor performance. I shot lousy, period. James Young, Sidearmor's newest Junior Male competitor, shot his best match ever, a 185.

Hey, the weather was great, the company was great, the food was great, and I got to shoot 200 rounds. Life is great! I might even get 10th place C-class instead of High Senior.;Q

9. don't tread on me

don't tread on me

Beautiful weather.....wish I could say the same for my shooting!
    Thanks to all the ro's and GSSF staff!Especially Julia Reep at registration!
    It was great to see Team Sidearmor out in force,thanks to Danny R. for helping keep us on track, it was good seeing everyone again!
    Back to practice, Conyers is right around the corner, and I promised Fireglock I'd show him how a G-21 can compete in the Stockmiester cat.Glenn, I'll need your help!!!!!;f

10. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

i tried posting to this thread 5 minutes ago...... puter problems i guess...

or it might be the loose nut behind the keyboard

danny - i think you and i might be battling it out for that c class

one bright note - my seconds added (penalty) is less than my raw time....

but i would have thought that i could have shot alot straighter considering how slow i was shooting....

on the 5TG 25 yard target i had a C, 2 D's, and 2 M's - 37 pts

that was a big chunk of my penalty points right there on that one target

im looking forward to conyers, anderson, and jax

hopefully one of these days my wife will let me spend friday night out with the bunch of you (but maybe this is not something to hope for?)

and hopefully i will get some range time before conyers to work on a few things

11. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

What a very organized match WAY TO GO GSSF and Statesville ROs, I mean GlockMom and I started at 9 and was done by noon with 200 shooters on Sat.
    GlockMom the boys and myself had a great time at dinner Saturday night and Glen I got your back :). DTOM thanks for the key chain that you gave to Aaron he liked it very much.
    Would like to add that the buck a run at the plates for a warm up was nice but I wish I shot as good in warm up as in the match and I know others that wished for the same thing so with leaving three plates in the match I'll see if my 161 is good enought for high B class ?. Sniper

12. don't tread on me

don't tread on me

Sniper,
    That 161 has a good chance of making you smile big in the b class!!
    Are you taking lessons on sandbagging from Trooper Dan????????;f

13. Lew-G17

Lew-G17

Sunday morning was also great. A big thanks to the GSSF Staff and the RO crews, they did a great job. This was only my second match, but my scores improved by about 23% so I am very happy. I compared my unofficial results to the Richmond line up and if I had done this at Richmond I would have earned some $$. Keeping my fingers crossed...:cool:

AmCiv 171.94 Nothing to brag about but not bad for my second match.

14. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

We'll see and as far as sand bagging goes that was the stuff in my shoe cause you know us yankees don't have sand up North.;a Plus with Jerrys mid to low 70s I had to make it look good :).

15. 21 shooter

21 shooter

Had a great time and got to see Fireglock, DEJ/FL, Don at PC, and the rest of the Florida Gang. I was privileged to get to shoot beside the infamous Fireglock on one stage. Due to a bad batch of bullets, his bid for Matchmeister may have been thwarted.:( I got to meet more good folks this year, and put more faces to the GT names.

Thanks to Julia for helping Scott, since he was really shorthanded. I may try to get a shooting class with Tim and Julia if they have time, if not, maybe their grandson can work me in his schedule. He is one to watch for in the very near future. This was my first time as an RO and it was fun. Now I can honestly say, "been there, done that, and got the shirt".

BTW, everyone liked the Carver mount, but I did not do it justice. Maybe with a little practice and more goodies for the pistol, who knows?
    ;f

16. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

We had a GREAT time seeing everyone again and a good trip despite the "War Wagon" (aka Star Ship) breaking down Friday night at the Sage Brush Steak House, but with the help of the manager Kirk, I got the Suburban repaired by noon Saturday by a local repair shop and they were VERY reasonable in the charges!!
    My shooting was as good as my luck for this trip(poor)! But the get togethers Friday night and Saturday night were GREAT!! I'm looking forward to Conyers in a couple of weeks. I hope to see everyone there!
    Dan
    :cool:

17. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Well glockNstein, dip128, rayray and I made the trip up from Florida in 9.5 hours. Hours that were filled with a lot of humor and laughing I might add. Statesville has a beautiful picturesque setting. With the excellent light on the 5 to Glock in the morning the targets literally glow, I just love that. Nice folks for ROs, well one crotchety old guy but the rest were pleasant to a fault, especially Island Girl, a very nice RO, who I am told, can shoot a mean six-gun in SASS. And I finally met Julia Reep, truly a pleasure. Well after such a long layoff things went pretty well for me. Setting aside a complete meltdown in Unlimited, I shot some of my best times to date.

AmCiv 72.79
    Competition 84.64
    Stockmeister 73.73
    Unlimited 112.98

I finally remembered to bring my binoculars and then never took them out of the bag. The only place it mattered was Unlimited and I could see the bleeding without them. I ended up being rushed on the M and plates, no one to shoot between my various categories. As usual the 17L was right on, a clear case of operator error. Of course it could be that 21 shooter and I talked too much about Unlimited that caused the problem!

But obviously the best part of the trip was seeing all our friends (way too many to name) and having a couple of evenings of fun and food, and a little “aiming fluid”. Got to meet Mrs. Coach (Martha, a very nice lady) and to see the second installment of the Philip and Glenn show. I can hardly wait for the third installment! Vicki, we missed you!

18. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

Geez, don't know where to start! Pat and I did well at the shoot'in part. Really enjoyed the Friday nite get-together. Met lots lots of folks we can now put faces on that come here to GT.

Had some new shooters show up Sat and helped to orientate(?) them and show them around.

God willing, we'll both be at Conyers, hoping to visit with the rest of the folks that coun't make it this time.

19. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Well as DEJ/FL said; it was an interesting trip to say the least. But in spite of the "War Wagon" breaking down at the Sagebrush and my "poor" attempt at shooting I had a great time meeting some new faces and enjoying a hilarious get together both Fri/Sat evening with good friends.

Great seeing Mrs. Coach; enjoyed seeing her again. Thanks Julia and Scott for all the hard work. Thanks to the RO's for conducting a good match.

Unfortunately I didn't help "Team Sidearmor" on this trip and definately did not do justice to Bobby Carvers new mount. Guess it was one of those days where I had to scratch and hope for the best. But look out though because Conyers is just aroung the corner and I plan on making up for my poor showing.

AmCiv: 135.43
    Stockmeister: 156.39
    Competition: 148.06
    U/L: 103.01

Not a steriling performance by any measure.

See you all at Conyers.

20. GJM89

GJM89

Well, to add my two cents, or in Jerry's case a buck a kiss (check the photos), Statesville was a great time. It's the first time I've shot at Statesville and it will be added to my future list of match's not to miss. The range was great,except for the "Vines of Death", that tried to grab me when I was at the Safety Table. Only kidding, the range was great as were the RO's. The Glock staff did an excellent job,thanks Scott, especially since they were so short handed having a second match that weekend. Mount Statesville to the practice plates was a REAL pleasure on my knees , but I found the driveway for next year.:cool: Danny you were correct, the Barbacue sandwich at the range was excellent,also tell Mrs. Coach that it was a pleasure to meet her and I'm looking forward to seeing her again.All in all, Great range, Great weather, Great RO's, Great people, if I missed anything I'm sorry. Oh, and Phil, I'm working on a new set of "Glenn's Helpful Hints on Shooting a GSSF Match" if I miss you on Sat. they'll be at the registration table for you on Sunday.;) ;) ;)