close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Statesville debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by don't tread on me, Sep 10, 2004.

1. don't tread on me

don't tread on me

2. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

The weather was beautiful, it was a great day for shooting!

Now for the match....

This was the slowest moving match I've ever attended. I never bring a chair, I'm never there long enough to worry about sitting down, so I've never worried about a seat, but today was a whole other story. Two and three hour waits were the norm today. I stood up for so long my back was killing me.

Things could have been run better, and it wasn't just the RO's at fault either. On the Five to Glock one of the stages was off. If you stood directly in front of the 25 yard target, which is the center line, the twenty yard target was obscured by the ten yard target. I told Chris Edwards about it, his response, "the center line is on an angle". Even the RO said it was off, but it fell on deaf ears. They also ran the 5 to Glock differently. Four shooters were on deck and they were alternating strings of fire. It was shoot one string, reload, put your gun down, then let someone else shoot a string, then you shoot your second string, and so on. I didn't complain about that, I just went with it.

Other than that it was a good match. The RO's were all super cool. Especially the 5 to Glock RO's. I think some of them were having a rough go of it, but it didn't affect there attitudes. They were all super nice. To the lady working the sheets at 5 to Glock, thanks for the motrin, it really helped.

JEL and Vickie were awesome at registration. That line was moving quick! Thanks for running things so smoothly!

I shot my best match to date. I was in the 80's in Amatuer Guardian, Competition, and Unlimited, all with a Stock 17, so I'm happy with the match.

Don, thanks again for the front sight and screw. I appreciate it. You're a scholar and a gentleman! ;c

See ya'll at Conyers!!

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Vickie, Sally and I are back in Wytheville. It is always great to be able to shoot in Statesville. We had about 30 for dinner Friday night and 40 Saturday night. Team Sidearmor and Team Carver Mounts were well represented at the match and at the dinners. Bonus was seeing Vicky Berens, Jackie Lambert, Scott & Chris again.

Vickie Q. shot her 1st match, Sally her 2nd, and I shot my xx'th. Hot, hot, hot. At least we had chairs.

I entered seven teams to represent Team Sidearmor at Statesville, and hope we have as strong a turnout at Conyers. Three am/civ teams, one am/guardian team, three master stock teams.

Really enjoyed seeing so many of my friends like Jerry, Don T, Don D, Dan J, Bob G, Peter S, Kevin C, DTOM, Dan & Nan, James & Tracy, Oink, Bob & Pat, Mr & Mrs Jim James, Frank K, Glenn M, Steve M, Jason & Michelle, Ron, James & Mark, Hubert, Bobby and Brenda, Rodney & Ray, Buddy. Hope I did not leave anyone out.

Got to meet Mark Sapp--man what a shooter.

Hope to see some great photos in the photo gallery.

P.S. Vickie Quesenberry and I announced our engagement at the Sidearmor/Carver/GSSF/Glock dinner Saturday night. Wedding date is January 1, 2005.

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

CONGRATULATIONS :) :) :) :) :) :)

5. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

CONGRATULATIONS TO DANNY & VICKIE

Our best goes out to you!!! ;Y

Pat & Bob

6. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

It felt good to be back to shooting again. I hadn't shot all summer, so although my scores won't be that good, I had a great time, and so did Bob. Seeing the 'Gang' was great!

I know it was hot when we shot on Saturday, and I would like to make a suggestion for those who put on a match. If it would be any way possible.... Provide some shade for the shooters if it's hot, and if rain is predicted, provide some cover. Those two things are what makes most matches bearable, or unbearable. I know the temperature Saturday wasn't that bad, but with the humidity, is was uncomfortable. There was some shade at the 5 to Glock, and that helped tremendously! But more shade was needed at the other stages.

I'm sure the slowness of the R.O.'s at the stages will improve as the individuals get used to the PDA's. I know the R.O.'s were all working very hard, and my hats go off to them for that. Thanks.

Both Bob and I are looking forward to seeing most of you at Conyers, and maybe I can get in some serious practice before then, and do better.... :cool:

7. TrooperDan

TrooperDan

Statesville is my favorite GSSF match! Just might have something to do with the fact that it was my very first GSSF match four years ago! I guess you could call it my "mother range"! :)

The RO's are always helpful and patient and the range is also very good. This year it was a touch hotter and more humid than I like though! There was a bit of a backup at most of the stages but I think that is the price of sucess more than anything else! Take my advice: PRE-REGISTER! If you are pre-registered I "think" they don't have to scan you into the database; there was about a fifteen minute hold up at the "M" because the scorers PDA was almost impossible to read and to get it to scan. I didn't have any major malfunctions, either mental or equipment but we never shoot as well as we think we should do we? I should have a high 120's.. maybe I'll be High Old Guy one of these days!;Q

Nan discovered that it is better to load ten rounds instead of eight into your magazines for the Five to Glock;P ;P Nan says, "If I'd have known I only had eight I'd have skipped the 25 yard target and not run dry for the five yard!;f Too bad as she was having a pretty good day otherwise. I think she was showing off to one of the Florida bunch on how to load Glock mags!;z

I think the new "push pin" method of handling shooters is generally good but in actual practise it suffers some. On the "M" if you missed the squadding you had at least an hour wait after you showed up, no matter when you signed in. They were squadding at least twenty shooters at a time there.

But I cannot say enough for the RO's and the administration of Glock! The support that Glock puts behind GSSF is truely amazing and is a credit to the company and certainly it's employees that never fail to present a friendly and helpful face to the shooters, no matter the crises of the moment!
    ;c ;c ;c ;c

As always, the true fun of GSSF is meeting some of the best people in the world! I won't try to name them all for fear I might miss one but it was great to see so many old friends again. And now, On To Conyers! See you there!
    Dan & Nan

8. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

Congratulations Danny,

Ok, so how well does she shoot?
    and is she going to register as Ms.DannyR or VickieR or what?

Sorry I missed you guys Saturday.

I sneaked in Sunday morning and shot all 3 stages, and was on the road back home by quarter till ten (which is good because I have a ton of stuff to do before going to work tomorrow).

Ran into Dan, Don & Pharoh & chatted for a sec before rushing to get my name on the boards. Thankfully the Florida bunch weren't standing behind me watching me (try to) shoot, as I was having a bit of problems with my reloads this morning... a couple primers didnt light off the first time, and I had a handful of rounds that didnt quite make it up the feed ramp.

Of course on the way home I stop off at my favorite place and shoot 40 rounds of that same 255 lswc / TG load without even the slightest hiccup, (except - now that I think of it - all 40 rounds this afternoon were thru the same mag, I suspect that one of the other 3 mags is causing me the problems - hmm).

On the plus side, I scored a miss on the 10 yard 5 TGlock targets as I had only loaded up 9 rounds (duh?!) in my G37 mag and that extra 10 seconds just might have dropped me to the top of "B"

I'm looking forward to Conyers (hopefully I can get permission to go).

9. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

that is a weird feeling to come up to the last target with the gun at slidelock

10. Nelybarg

Nelybarg NC Glocker 30

Statesville was my first GSSF meet. I had a great time shooting there. I met a couple of real nice and helpful people such as Fireglock and Pharaoh, both of which had several words of wisdom for me and my friend Conrad. The wait at the "M" seemed horribly long, but the RO's were apologetic and i appreciated that.

I shot about how i expected to considering this was my first match and i hadnt had any time to really practice for it. I have a good idea of what i need to be working on for the future.

Take care
    Neil

11. Hantra

Hantra Keeps It Real

Ditto for me. ESPECIALLY the "M". And I shot on Sunday!

Nevertheless, for my second time, I improved DRAMATICALLY!

And I had fun. ;f

12. JWG_34

JWG_34 TeamCarverMount

CONGRADULATIONS DANNY AND VIKIE! ;Y BEST WISHES TO YOU BOTH!
    Sorry I missed seeing you and the rest of the guys saturday!Hopefully I will see all of you in conyers!

13. Sandman_NC

Sandman_NC

This was my first event & I had a blast! Yes it was a little slow, but fun none the less!;+ I watched some very impressive shooting Saturday....just shows me how much more I have to go to compete.;)

Everyone I met was super nice! ^c I have to give mega props to the armorers that took care of my G17....inspection with new parts too boot! That was so very cool!;f Thanks again guys!;Y

I plan on going to more east coast events in the future & hopefully have a better showing. But more importantly, just have some fun & meet nice people! :cool:

14. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper

I wanted to go, but work got in the way. I hope you all had a great time.

15. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I wanted to go...but had a migraine :(

16. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

This was my first shoot at Statesville. A very nice range! I also brought my friend, Sandman_NC, for his first GSSF match. We both had a great time. Warm, yes. sunny, yes. Could use some shade. I'll bring an umbrella next time.

All the RO's were superb! Even with time between stages dragging everyone was upbeat and positive. RO's, shooters, and spectators included.

Constructive Comment: This match did provide to me both examples of not using the "short (or second) stack" principle properly which resulted in massive wait times.

Assuming you've signed in at all stages.
    Situation 1: "No short stack". No cards collected at all. Shooter sits down at stage with least amount of pins in front of him. Each time a shooter finishes RO goes to board finds earliest person present and calls him. The guy sitting there keeps getting bumped back because every few minutes a group of people walk up and put there pins in ahead of him. So right before you think you're gonna shoot another group walks up and you're down again. True life example: We sat down at stage. We were the only pins on board with one guy "up" and one guy "in the hole". We waited for 45 minutes while computer messed up etc. By the time those two shooters finished seven more shooters have walked up and put pins ahead of us (based on sign in time). This continued (before long there were eleven + ahead of us when RO staff was relieved by staff and they switched to calling in a "short stack" (collecting 5 or so cards, shooting them then calling in another short stack, repeat). It took us two hours+ to shoot and would have been longer had the method not changed.

Situation 2: "Everyone in Short Stack". All cards collected from everyone walking up. Effectively negates "short stack" principle and has same effect as Situation 1. You will wait, possibly all day until every last person to sign up before you has shot. Everytime you get close, someone will walk up and bump you back. Cards are turned in upon arrival. Cards are then put in sign in order. Instead of shooting that stack as is, as more cards are added they keep getting put in time order which is nothing more than following the sign in sheet. The card now is nothing more than a checkbox to make sure you don't shoot a stage twice. True life example: Went to stage and sat for over three hours before making it to line. Can't go anywhere else without asking for card back.

What's right? Sign in time should be priority for shooters present when the "short stack" is being made. Once short stack is made (I'd say in groups of five per lane, although we only have "names" for the first three), that stack is shot, in that order, regardless of who comes up at the last minute. As shooters finish and move out, the next present, earliest timed shooter moves to bottom of short stack. It's not rocket science. If no stack is used a guy could literally sit at one stage all day and not shoot. If a stack is too big (say 10-15) it will still take along time to wait (increasing chance lower timed shooter will arrive to bump people not in short stack yet) that could be better used by moving to another stage first. Also if wait is too long then advantage of signing in early is reduced. Short stacks allow early birds to get into stack quicker (more quickly?;g ). Short stacks allow guys who do wait at a stage to get into short stack in a fair amount of time.

Normally it takes me 3 1/2 to 4 hours to move through the queues and shoot a match. I don't try to cut corners, I don't use radios to cheat(term used loosely!:)) the wait lines, everyone else wants to shoot just as bad as I do and I respect that. It took me over 7 hours Saturday. We got there at ten and left after five. Granted there's (almost) no better way to spend time and no better people to spend it with, but things could run quicker if the "short stacks" were used properly.

I'm putting my application in to Glock to teach this (full time) at all GSSF events. PM me!:)

It's all right there on http://www.gssfonline.com/range_officers/signin_sheet.htm.

17. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

The stacking and pins idea needs some work.

I think that's what caused the really long waits. At the Glock M I got behind a squad of about ten shooters, and waited for a while, but not nearly as long as some that were there before me.

I think what they need to do is limit squading to small groups instead of large groups.

But the bottom line is, it was a hell of a lot better than spending the day at work! ;c ;c ;c

18. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

I'll second that!!

(How come you can say it in so few words and I had to write a book?!)

19. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

NOT A FLAME :) On Sat there where 264 shooters, OK so how long do you think you should wait ???? I shoot 2 guns and my Wife as well, I'm driving 6 hr to shoot once ?? I don't think so. I have shot an IDPA with 70 shooters and it took 4 1/2 hr from start to finish so I really think things went smooth Sat :) SO LETS STOP BEATING A DEAD HORSE!!! IMO Sniper

20. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Not taken as a flame.

Anyway, if no one offers constructive criticsm, nothing improves. It's only negative if people take it that way, or it's presented that way.