close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Statesville 2003 Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Sep 6, 2003.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

This is the first Statesville match I've missed since my first match there in 1999. I'm bored and depressed. Hope you have some great tales to tell. Man, oh man, really missed the Sagebrush last night and chow at the Holiday Inn this morning, and the fellowship with my teammates and friends.

I'll start a thread for Photos later.

2. JWG_34

JWG_34 TeamCarverMount

I shot a pretty good match, It wasnt the best Ive ever shot.
    Stockmeister was the worst, U/L wasnt bad, but it wasnt good either.
    Danny you were missed in statesville, But I think all the team Sidearmor guys had you in there thoughts. All the gunsmoke gang will keep you and martha in our thoughts too.

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Thanks, Jeff. I missed the Gunsmoke Gang too. Also missed my annual chance to spot a NC Whistle Pig.:cool:

4. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

:( ;f ;f ;f

5. Vinh

Vinh

I saw the rest of Team Sidearmor, but I was hoping to meet you, Danny. I thought perhaps you might have finished early. Maybe some other time.

As for the match, I am extremely disappointed with my performance. I shot both the Amateur/Civilian and Competition categories for a little extra trigger time under match conditions. I received a lot of penalties over 20 yards and made a few careless mistakes under 10 yards. The plates really surprised me. I came to the match thinking that I couldn't possibly miss, since I practice with 5" and 6" circles, so 8" plates should be a breeze. But, I did miss, and missed often.

I definitely need to refine my practice sessions. I'm not too sure about going to Conyers so soon, but I certainly hope to make the Lexington match.

6. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

Mrs G-R here, (aka Pat)

We made it home, safe and sound. The traffic coming home was much better than going up.

Over all, I think the new system of electronic scoring will be much nicer. There are a few bugs that need to be worked out, and at some stages it was moving kind of slow, but I'm sure the system will get better as we go along.

The dinner Friday night was a lot of fun. We sure missed you, Danny... Please give our best to Martha. We even had a former President of the United States there! Ol' George Washington was there for the festivities, even though his wife said he wasn't coming.

The weather Saturday was pleasantly nice. Cloudy, cooler, and no rain. I wish it had improved my shooting, I shot like "doo-doo", but that's another story. I'll be working on my grip between now and Conyers.

Bob did fairly well, but even he has room for improvement.

Well, gang. . . . . I hope to see all of you at the Conyers match. I'm making our hotel reservations tonight.

Take care. . . . . See all of you soon!!!

Pat ;)

7. 40blaster

40blaster

What a nice bunch of people working the match Saturday. Each conversation with an RO was pleasant and friendly. The weather was great and FireGlock didn't break my camera(I didn't take a picture of him). I had hoped JJ would get a flat tire or forgot his gun and had to go back home or something but I noticed he was there. Good luck Jay, sorry I did not get a chance to say hay :) Computers should allow GSSF to have scores posted Monday morning now, aint they slick? Tho Jackie might have to start bringing some valium to get through sign up.
    Fun day, thank everybody that was involved.
    Fred

8. triggerpresser

triggerpresser

What about the new PDA system? I understand GSSF used it today. Comments??? Good, Bad, or whatever...

9. wenneker

wenneker Curious Member

Do you mean the PDA thing?
    I think that this was horrible: The scanners did not work and one had to return to the exact same RO who had scanned you.
    Eventually they gave up scanning at some stations.

10. rtr

rtr Glockaholic

for those of us not in the know can you explain the new fangled scoring process?

11. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

It is 0720 and I am on the road....:)

More to come. :D

12. Krag

Krag Guest

I really enjoyed ROing the Five to Glock, despite timer problems (I had 3 malfunction during the day!. Don had so many reshoots that he remained on the shooting line so long we thought he was homesteading!!! ;Q

The competitors were generally (as always, there were a few exceptions :() well mannered and cooperative despite delays caused by the new computer scoring system. By the end of the day we had the system functioning on the Five to Glock without any problems.

I shot the Five to Glock very well but we ROs didn't get to shoot the other stages until late in the day when we were exhausted. This explains my poor performance on the Plates and Glock 'M - that's my excuse and I sticking to it!!! ;f

13. EMillen

EMillen Millennium Member

Boy, stay away from GSSF/GlockTalk for 6-8 months and all kinds of things happen.
    I'm workin' in Knoxville this week, so on a last minute whim I decided to shoot Statesville on Saturday (even had to pay the extra ten bucks for not pre-registering).
    I get there about 2pm, Scott recognizes me (I host the Bluegrass match) and sends me to Jackie. Jackie completely confuses me with questions about the new PDA scoring, are we ready for it? have I seen it? (I didn't know what a pee dee ay was until yesterday).
    Jackie then orders me (yeah, really) to go see how it works. A couple of Cowboy Shootin' RO's on the 5TG filled me in, wow! It's cool, when it works. I felt bad for the RO's, havin' to do the PDA thing AND paper score sheets. Hope it's up & running by November so we don't have to do paper too.
    Any way, I was shootin' by 3 and driving to Knoxville a little after 4. Just shot AmLE, I think I done okay.
    Dan S.

PS- So Danny, you really should try to shoot Lexington this year. After all, you missed Statesville...

14. JWG_34

JWG_34 TeamCarverMount

I dont know about any of the other guys. But I think the beta testing of the PDA was a flop. The young lady working 5 to glock got so fustrated that she told all the ro's, after the competiters that would scan, shot, dont scan any more. And started doing it the old way.
    We spent 3 hrs waiting to shoot 5 to glock, that was the bad thing about it. After you got your barcode scanned ( when it would) You had to stay there. Or you would have to wqait longer.
    The good thing was that when you could get scanned and after you shoot ,you got a print out of you times, hits ,and penelties.
    I guess ,or I hope if GSSF gets all the gremlins out of the system, It will be a lot better, But It seems its going to take a little more time.
    Im waiting to see ,if it slows down response time on the results.
    We will , have to wait and see if this is going to be a good thing I guess.

15. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

I'm Back!!!

Great day in Statesville. My team was up and shooting by 0930 after the trip from Asheville. We were mostly finished by the 10:30 cease fire. At 12 noon we finished the last stage and was on the road back to the mountains by one. My partner from Ga had to be back at work by 8 pm tonight! he had another 300 miles to go after Asheville. Better him than ME! ;f

All three of us had personal Bests. In my case I broke the 80 barrier and posted a 73.11 in the sub compact class. Got my fingers crossed on that one. :)

I must admit however my Am LE and Stockmeister scores were abysmal. I missed a popper and left it standing due to not loading a full magazine. Stupidity to the nth degree. I even had a miss on the 5 to GLOCK stage. Where is KRAG's excuse book. :(

The limited experience we had with the PDA's was great. My scores are direct from the printer and the breakdown was a learning experience. I want this to continue!

This latest trip has reinforced three points that have worked for me.

1. Sunday matches seem to work faster and smoother than Saturdays. I plan to continue shooting the GSSF on Sundays.

2. Shooting the same gun for all of my entries has been the best choice. My G26 is the "Go-to" gun.

3. Shooting at least two preferably three entries gives me the best score. I can "warm-up" on one entry and continue to improve for the better scores on following entries.

Loved meeting "loveGlocks" and "Triggerpresser" It is great to have a face to hang on a handle. Looking forward to seeing the "family photo" here soon! :)

16. myglockisa23

myglockisa23

I got there around 11:30 Saturday, registered, shot 5 to Glock, met Fireglock waiting at the 5 to Glock and learned he arrived much earlier... PDA's didn't work for me except on the plates. I finished all shooting before Fireglock got to shoot the Glock M or plates????? there was confusion when they split the group at the Glock M..... left around 3:30 or later...GSSF staff was friendly as usual....Glock Armorer cleaned by 1st gen G17 (BC prefix) and confirmed it's a keeper... Shot my personal best with it first time out....Any day shooting at a GSSF match is a good day....

17. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Just got home, posted my two personal best scores to date. 114.30 in Competition and a 102.99 in Subcompact. I went in to the match hoping to break 100, and I blew it on my very last string. I got a delta hit on the 25 yard target at 5 to Glock, and I knew it as soon as the shot broke! :( :( :(

The RO's were excellent, even though you could tell they were frustrated with the whole techno experiment. I liked the convenience aspect of it, but it seemed to slow things down. I hope the GSSF staff can get all the bugs worked out of it before Conyers, if not, it's going to be a mess. The RO's on the Glock M were the first group to ever notice my stainless barrel, they asked me about it, and I gladly showed them it was a Glock barrel. When the next shooter came up, they asked about his barrel, and found out it was an after market barrel. To the RO's on Glock M, this Bud's for you. ;c ;c ;c

I had a real hard time with my G17, it jammed once on the Glock M, and when I hit the plate rack, it totally crapped out on me. I could fire the chambered round, but it couldn't cycle another round. So I went to the armorer and he worked the slide and said my recoil spring was worn and he gave me a new recoil rod and spring. Went back to the rack, and the same thing happend again. The RO said he could see the slide dragging. So back to the armorer, this time he detailed stripped it and discovered that my overzealous polishing was the culprit. When I explained that I hadn't polished anything for quite a while and it had been shooting fine, he said that he thought polishing might have exposed the internals to excess wear over time. So he fixed it by replacing every internal part except for the striker! Then he said if that didn't get it, it was going back to Smyrna! :( :( :(

It functioned flawlessly after that, so now I have a lot of new parts to polish! ;f ;f ;f

I got to meet LoveGlocks, and had my picture taken with two of the RO's from the 5 to Glock stage. Frank also snapped a pic of the armorer reworking my G17. When you see the pic of the armorer looking really frustrated while working on a gun, well, it was mine! ;f ;f ;f

18. Krag

Krag Guest

FotoThomas - the 2nd printing of my "GSSF Shooters' Excuse Book" is due for release in early 2004.
    It will be $49.95 per copy; $79.95 for autographed copies; and $39.95 on CD.

It will be available at http://www.sandbaggers.com

BTW, one reason I shot poorly Saturday is that I did not drink heavily enough Friday night. After taking a year's hiatus from GSSF I had forgotten all of the training regulations!

;f ;Q ;P :cool: ;i ;1 ;Y ;V ~1

19. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

First of all........Coach, you where dearly missed by EVERYONE!! Everyone we spoke to has you and Martha in their thoughts and prayers! The match was extreamly well run even with the new PDA scoring devises making there first appearance! A hardy "Job Well Done" to all the RO's at the match!!! For me.........well lets just say is was not one of my better performances and let it go at that!!
    I did have a great time seeing everyone again and I'm looking forward to Conyers in a few weeks!;f
    Dan:cool:

20. triggerpresser

triggerpresser

I shot the match Sunday. Got to the range about 11:15, during the cease fire. Got signed in and loaded my mags, turned in the score sheets and was shooting the 5 To GLock shortly after shooting began again. I meet a few new faces today, LoveGlocks and FotoThomas. It was good to meet you both and put faces with names. As for the match, I did fair today, not what I had planned, but that is not easy to do. Am Civ was about 90.53, if my math is correct. Competition was a little higher. I had a bullet seperate (it was like the jacket came off of the bullet)on the 5 To Glock, it made two holes, wouldn't you know, they we both D's at 5 yards. That really sucked, as I had 5 A's prior to that. The weather was the best I have experienced at the Statesville match. It is usually 95+ degrees, today was great. Can't wait for Conyers... :cool: