States are seeing increasing cases as they reopen. Shocking. What did they think was going to...

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by cowboy1964, May 19, 2020.

1. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

States are seeing increasing cases as they reopen.

Shocking. What did they think was going to happen?

Cubdriver, ezod98, Lagamor and 6 others like this.
  2. redneck ron

redneck ron Displaced Hillbilly

People could go to work, feed their families, pay their mortgage, go to church, exercise their freedoms?

Top Glock10mm, 1cm, hannstv and 22 others like this.

3. Dave514

Dave514

That's what is supposed to happen. Total cases was never very controllable. The early rate of infection, to not overwhelm the healthcare system, was controllable and we'd like to control who gets it, in terms of the elderly and immunocompromised, but without an effective treatment or a safe and effective (long term) vaccine we ar just going to have to wade through this.

It's time to open up with reasonable measures of protection. Especially during these warmer months.

ETA: Just got word that my wife's great aunt died of the wu-flu. 101 years old. Had 16 kids.

4. thespork

thespork

There is a lot of truth to this..
    The importance is on those "reasonable" measures of protection..
    It will still be wise to avoid large, densely packed indoor gatherings as these have been proven to have the potential for absolutely explosive transmission rates..

Also, wearing a mask which is being shown to dramatically reduce transmission rates.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/wear...ronavirus-transmission-75-percent-study-shows

If we just do those two things it could help lower the transmission to a slow burn, and allow the medical system to keep up... And hopefully give the supply chain time to produce enough remdesivir and other therapeutics...

But, we are a stupid and selfish country so we will probably have to endure a nasty second wave of this thing

DrVlad, PattonWasRight, n2g and 7 others like this.
  5. Dave514

Dave514

Resentment of the government and media is a powerful force that will have people acting against their own best interests. Using the fact that we DO have to get back to work and that the % chance of death IS fairly small to justify their desire to not be inconvenienced.

When the opposite of what my governor demands as well as what the media wants/warns falls in step with what I want to do....well...I'll just shrug my shoulders when it goes badly.

6. thewitt

thewitt

This.

In my "over 60 only" shopping hours between 7am and 9am at my corner grocery, more than half the shoppers were under 30 and I would estimate that less than 40% of all shoppers were wearing masks.

This in spite of the signs on the front door that said "Over 60 Only from 7am to 9am ID Required" and "Masks Required by all entering the store."

I ran into the store manager and asked him why the store's policies were not being followed and she just shrugged and admitted it was hard to prevent people from violating them... I told her I might take pictures of the signs and then pictures inside the store and post them on social media... then laughed and said I would not do that, but I might shop at a different store next time if they are not taking this seriously. I then rolled out the door with my $300 worth of groceries as the 20-somethings went though the self-checkout with their $10 baskets...

7. redneck ron

8. redneck ron

9. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

Source?

I read the complete opposite. That states that opened showed no increases, or actual decreases?

10. Tvov

Tvov

Well, yesterday was the first day of "phased opening" for Connecticut.

Good news! My little downtown was busy, cars everywhere, people walking in and out of shops. Nice!

Bad news! Cars everywhere! Bleh. Back to summer traffic....

WPGlocks, UncleDave, nursetim and 8 others like this.
  11. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

This is the sort of pure stupidity I'm sick of;
    [​IMG]

In my area, the tennis courts are closed.

Tennis courts. Closed.

Gotta be sure people can't get exercise, sun, fresh air, and all those other great things that boost immune systems.

12. Westexas

Westexas

Utter stupidity. Rules made by bureaucrats who think they know Epidemiology but have zero knowledge on the subject. Typical.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  13. redneck ron

dkf and B C like this.
  14. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

Every case of Covid-19 in the US was given to them by someone who did nothing or didn’t do enough to keep it to themselves. Now that these *******s are getting back to work and into restaurants, stores and barbershops, of course they’ll be spreading it around to as many people as the possibly can.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  15. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

Maybe that's the goal...

Top Glock10mm and B C like this.
  16. racerford

racerford

And you survived so far. However did you do it? I recommend continuing to do it, or go into isolation. It won’t keep you from dying, but will keep you from living.

The same is true of every infectious disease, ever. What makes CoViD-19 special to shut the economy down nationwide?

17. B C

B C

18. Rokitt

Rokitt

IF the case count is climbing it isn't because of reopening it is because more testing is being done.

Just some mild fear mongering carry on.

19. pAZ Ron

pAZ Ron

Have the states testing capacity also increased and more testing coincided/overlapped timeline with reopening?

The case count will go up as many more tests are run. What did they think was going to happen?

I don't know how you can separate the two to get a clean measure of reopening affect?

n2g, redrick, nursetim and 1 other person like this.