close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

State police identify weapons used in sandy hook investigation

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RussP, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce M

Bruce M

Why is that "magazine vs. clip" is a big deal, but (almost) no one seems to suggest that there is no difference in correctness between a "slide" and a "Glock upper?"

2. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Since I doubt any of you addressed your issues with CSP...

3. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

"Or....it's someone that is interested in using correct terminology."

I would say it's someone that is interested in making other people use that terminology.

4. skorper

skorper harborrat

Absolutely.

But what we have here is different. A State Police Agency calls a magazine "clips" in an official press release regarding an emotionally charged case with nationwide attention. And they choose to include an unneccessary descriptor, "high capacity".

No one cares whether or not an investigator calls a magazine a clip or not. But everybody should care about the other point. A HIGH CAPACITY something was now officially used to kill those children in that shcool. This is going to be used against us in every argument from here on out. Those evil HIGH CAPACITY magazines. And there was apparently more than one. Apparently, as the plural clips was used without giving a number.

They chose to use the subjective term "high capacity" when a 30 round magazine is standard for AR rifles. It would have been simpler and more to the point to merely state "30 round clips". Wonder what their reasoning was there. Or were they just unfamiliar with that type of rifle.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  5. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

I think there are more important things to worry about. When you correct an anti about clip vs magazine, you will look arrogant and will waste your time correcting them on it instead of seeing the bigger picture, which is why they don't need to be limited to 7 or 10 rounds to begin with.

6. EdTracker

EdTracker GTDS Lifetime Member

This is the reason behind of my first post.

Thank you Gallium

7. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

I know a retired cop who still calls magazines clips. My latest issue of Rifleman calls a magazine a clip. We may be in the minority by using the correct vernacule.

8. Gallium

Gallium CLM

In the grand scheme of things, he/she did get the message out - dude used an evil black gun with deadly high cap clips to kill 26 too many people, ALL of them innocents, and all of them mostly defenseless.

We are quite capable of being burdened with grief, look for answers, and still demand high standards of people whose jobs utterly rely on standards and protocols.

I tell you, if this were a "jury" trial, and I was on the jury, even this one issue would be enough FOR ME to look at the state's case sideways - as in, to question the precision and accuracy of their work.

Does it lead me to believe in any conspiracy stuff? No, not at all. I've stated before that release of the ME's /coroner's reports will corroborate what the police are saying.

Are we bad, or paranoid, to expect police to communicate with us to a standard to which they are trained and certified? I think not.

- G

9. skorper

skorper harborrat

I do too. A retired cop. He retired while still using a stainless S&W .38 special revolver and was also qualified with a pump action shotgun. I know of no current police officers who are not qualified with an AR type rifle though, or who are not familiar with it. But that's just in our department and neighboring ones. May be different elsewhere.

A plausible explanation for using the term clip may be that the term was seen as more common. I'm far from a conspiracy theorist, and pointing out things of interest to gun people on a gun forum is certainly an acceptable thing to do.

The "high capacity" wording is certainly going to forever be associated with mass killing now, and "high capacity" has a lot of different meanings to a lot of different people. Again, this is all of interest to gun folks and guns rights activists. The anti's are probably happy as hell that the wording made it in there.

10. Gallium

Gallium CLM

If CT has a magazine limit of say...20 rounds, then by all means "high capacity" is a perfectly valid descriptive term to use. Definitions are not static thru-out the union.

What is the definition for an "arsenal" in Texas or Alabama? Compared to Washington DC or NYC?

11. skorper

skorper harborrat

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that appeasing a bunch of gun people on a gun forum is not high on their list of priorities at the moment.

12. RussP

Many in this thread questioned the facts presented, the language used, and because of the words used, the veracity of the agency.

I passed on those concerns about the words used that some find objectionable.

Just wanted them to know some of your feelings about "the words."

It is their choice whether to reply by word or action.

:cool:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  13. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Somotimos all it takos is one lottor to mako a funny. :tongueout:

On a serious note, Dragoon made a bunch of funny statements, as did Patch, and did I...the overall tone of this thread has not been "conspiracy" (not saying you said that!).

Did you send a link to the thread?

14. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I hope they (that agency) is as hungry for the truth as we are. :supergrin:

15. RussP

Damn...and I typed varacity...:faint:
    Did you read the email?

16. JWG_34

JWG_34 TeamCarverMount

Clips?
    A AR-15 does not use clips,it uses Magazines!
    A garand rifle uses clips!
    Just my 2cents worth!

17. Gallium

Gallium CLM

It is odd, when I 1st read it, I thought you only sent the universal URL for GT (www.glocktalk.com). It is right there in the letter, and yes, I read it, and in case I haven't said it today (but surely I have for at least 6 dozen times on GT) I have learning disabilities, no joke.

:cool:

18. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Step away from the TV next time one of those CSI shows comes on.

19. railfancwb

railfancwb

Don't know. He (or she) didn't commit suicide and leave the weapons.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

20. IQof1

IQof1

Some kinda funny how they just happened to recover the same exact weapons they want to ban now......how convenient.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.