Starting the process on getting a dog...

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by TFin04, May 22, 2007.

1. TFin04

TFin04

I'm still in the air between what breed to get, but I figured I should at least spend that time getting my home "dog ready."

Fences:

We have a fence on two sides of out lot and I would probably just close in the rest with standard chain link. Any recommendations on why/why not to do this? What have you learned from installing a fence?

Other than food, vet, toy, bowls and grooming supply expenses, what are some hidden costs you didn't think about before owning a dog?

I have the time, space and energy to own a dog. I had them growing up but have never owned my own. I'm just looking for some advice on things that are not often thought about when getting their first dog.

PS- The main breeds I'm looking at are Boxer/Lab mix and Giant Schnauzers.

2. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

First of all, congrats.

One thing that I recommend is that you read a few books BEFORE you get any dog. I really like the books put out by The Monks of New Skete and Cesar Millan. But since there are many different philosophies on dog training, do a check for yourself and see what would fit your personality better. Either way you need to learn what it means to become a Pack Leader.

Are you looking for a puppy, adult dog, breeder, shelter?

I'm assuming that you have time to walk the dog every day, for at least 45min. I'm a big believer in crate training, so that is something you should at least look into. Also take the time to read the "Ask a Trainer" thread. G20 has some awesome advice and TONS of experience.

With the fence, if would probably do all the way around. Just remember no matter how big your yard is it's never an excuse to not walk your dog. The back yard should only be used as a bathroom and that is it.

3. Bully4me

Bully4me Guest

Decide what temp[ermentyou want in the dog, one that is very active - needing walks and excersize or one more laid back. Go to a dog show and look at dogs and talk to breeders. Dog show dogsa have different temperments than what you'll get as they are better behaved because of lots ofattention.
    Other expenses include boarding when you want to go to GSSF matches ans take vacations. Some hotels allow small dogs but notthe size you mention.
    Mixed breeds can be good dogs but you never know exactly how they will turn out.

4. compassman

compassman

I am happy to see common scenes.

NO PUPPY STORES

YES, definitely look into researching every breed you are considering. Make sure YOU fit the dogs life style. Call a few rescues that handle the breed you are interested in. Rescues are not crappy animal thrown away. There often turned in due to lack of interest. All rescues we receive get free training and come house broken. We have placed many "Christmas Dogs" that were less then a year old or a few months older. We find May and June to be our influx of rescues. People often buy dogs for Christmas only to find out a few months later it does not fit in with there life style. The family is to busy going into summer and realize that they can't keep the dog. My all time favorite is they complain about the vet bills and training. We kept a rescue and we made sure it fit in with our pack. I suppose we let him pick us. We go threw a lot to find a perfect home for our rescues. They are not just handed over. Sometimes older ones are harder to place and when they are people tell us every time they wished they did this along time ago. Rescue foundations also have great information on the breed your looking into. They can give you habbits or quorks a certain breed might have. They can give you information of breeders and much more.

As for buying a Puppy look and research every breeder your considering. There is a list of questions to ask the breeder. Some back yard breeders and show mills are no better then puppy stores. I can e-mail you a list of questions when your ready to buy. Think were you will be in life in 10 years and how your dog will fit in.

When you receive your dog then it will be determined what kind of quality food he will need. He will need training. Every dog should go threw obedience classes and so should the owners. I agree in reading Caesar’s book, but don't think that's all you have to do.

As for crate training I could not agree more. That is the first thing we do with rescues. All of my dogs are crate trained. It serves many purposes. It is NOT as place for punishment. It's a safe zone and replicates there den.

I am also a believer in using the dog. Every dog should have a job or a outlet. Our dogs are trained to race and weight pull. We also trained them for there Cane nine Good Citizen and Therapy Dog. My show dog hopefully will get his Delta Dog. Humans are killing dogs. We have shortened there life span and over bred them. We have made them possessions and took away there usefulness. Humans need to interact with there dogs more then just letting them sit on the couch.

I can keep going on. The best thing is to finalize on a dog breed them let the dog pick you. The breeder or the rescue foundation should match the dog up with you. This is very important.

Quote from our rescue
    "Every good dog deserves a home, But not every home deserves a good dog."

5. Bully4me

Bully4me Guest

What are you expecting from the dog? You need to select the breed based on the breed's personality, temperment and activity rate. Some breeds like terriers are very active, territorial, noisey and want a lot of attention. Other breeds are less so and go with the flow. The schnauzer will require lots of grooming where a boxer won't. Some breeds have histories of certain medical problems. Smaller dogs live longer than larger ones. An additional cost will be to neuter the dog. They do better as pets.
    Suggest you attend a dog show or local AKC club and talk with breeders to get an idea of what breeds are available. Many breeders have retired show dogs they sell off as pets. This is almost like getting a rescue but one with papers.
    We bought our last dog thru puppyfind.com and visited several breeders before selecting the one. She only had 2 breeds and very clean facilities. The puppies were hand raised not just put in a cage until someone bought them.

6. tlish

tlish Guest

here's a list of different breed rescues: http://www.akc.org/breeds/rescue.cfm. we just applied at a rescue, and they provide you with a ton of information and support. they also will ask you enough questions to make sure that they match the right dog to you.

7. WINGS

WINGS CLM

If you don't have one yet, you'll need a California King Size Bed too.!!!
    Don't tell me that your new flopper won't sleep in the middle...

The only thing that saved us from the dog taking over the bed when we had a 180 pound Landseer Newfounland was that after a few minutes he got too hot and moved his dog&pony show to the shower where it was always colder!

8. tlish

tlish Guest

we just adopted our third dog. he is from a pyr rescue. i can't say enough positive about the experience. please consider a rescue dog, you won't be disappointed!