Starting in Helo

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Laxjedi1, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Laxjedi1

Laxjedi1 Member

Hey guys,

Just wondering, what's a good way for a mid 20's guy to get into chopper flying? How much time and $$ is involved? And how you you get a commercial licence? Thanks

2. HA[o2]FA

HA[o2]FA

HOLY GOOD GOD!! I came to this forum to post pretty much the same thing! I am 23 and just out of college, and always thought flying helos would be awsome. Heh, small forum i guess.....;g

3. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

4. CFII

CFII

Helicopter training is much more expensive than fixed wing. The choppers out at my old flight school in CA were 185 an hour plus 50 for an instructor. If rotary wing is the passion of your flying, go for it.

5. FLMarine

FLMarine

Well, I know one way that won't cost you a dime. Actually they'll pay you to go flying. Join the military and they'll teach you how to fly. If you go Navy or Marines you'll not only get your commercial rotor wing, but a fixed wing single engine commercial rating as well. I don't know how much it costs to learn how to fly civilan side but I know it is a lot. All I know is that in the past week I have flown in the miltary version of the Bell 206 for about 8 hours and it has cost me zero $$$$.

6. AME206350

AME206350

Becoming a rotary wing pilot is expensive and the job prospects are not good. (I manage a remote base for a large helicopter company).

The cost is roughly $50000 Canadian (Less in US funds obviously) to get 100 hours flight time plus all your training.

Job prospects are brutal because most companies have a standard where they will not fly with any pilot with less than anything from 600-2000 hours PIC. The things some pilots go through to get their hours built up is amazingly brutal. Some guys find work at flight schools for low $$$ to build up hours, some put themselves at the merciless abuse of less-than-scrupulous operators who know just how desperate you are and have no problem taking advantage of you.

The good news is that helicopter pilots are in high demand once you have the hours and an endorsement or two under your belt.

You have to REALLY want it and be utterly unflagging in your comittment to knocking on doors and working the phones to get your foot in the door with a prospective employer. My advice is make this your personal motto as it pertains to job hunting:

"Restraining order or employment, it's the employers choice"

Once you go through a few hard years you'll make all your money back and be making a good living.

Some guys have just fluked out and fallen into a sweet deal but believe me they are few and far between.

I have been in this industry for over 16 years so I might know a thing or two (or not).:)

If you want to fly helicopters, bite the bullet (figuratively) and go hard until you get it done. We need more of you out there flying.

In fact we're hiring, so if any of you has more than 1200 hours PIC and a Jetranger or AStar endorsement drop me a line.

www.highland.ca

JR

7. seipherdj

seipherdj DiE gAS PuMpeR

Im 21 just got an instrument helicopter rating 3 weeks ago, been workin on comercial and lovin it....have about 200 hours ...by the time im a CFII I will have spent enough money on training to be in dept for the rest of my life ...and only make an estimated $35,000 to $70,000 a year....but hell I got into this for an adventure and not to be behind a desk in 10 years ...godspeed to you

Joey