close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Starting GSSF in my state

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by freeman4ever, May 23, 2002.

1. freeman4ever

freeman4ever I'm a Member

I have perused the GSSF website and have been unable to find any information on how to start up GSSF in my state. Since I am located in Hawaii, it's a bit difficult to carpool 3,000 miles across the ocean to get to my "nearest" match.

Does anyone have any information on this…or someone I could get in contact with? Currently, we only have Bulseye and IPSC but it appears that there would be strong interest in GSSF.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

2. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

well.....

it would cost a boatload of $$$$ for glock to ship everything to hawaii to put on a full blown GSSF match.

as such i doubt very much that you could get enough people to sign up to make it worth it to glock.

but a a smaller 3 night GSL league type of thing - put on by a local dealer - would be another thing altogether.

i forgot - do you still have gun dealers in hawaii?

i would think that you might start out talking to your local glock stocking dealer (with a range onsite or good relations with a local outdoor range). See if maybe he can work something out with the glock people.

in the mean time - have you considered starting up an IDPA club?

insert your name here http://www.idpa.com/clubs/states/hawaii.htm

3. freeman4ever

1. Why would it cost Glock money? I guess I was assuming that GSSF could sanction the league here and we would set up the course identical to those found in those states that have GSSF matches, i.e., 5 to Glock, Glock the plates, etc. (as we do with IPSC matches). Never having competed in a GSSF match and the lack of information on this subject on the GSSF webpage (procedure, required infrastructure) leaves me with zero information.
    2. Never having competed in a "small 3-night GSL league", I am unclear as to what you are referring to.
    3. Hawaii has quite a few large gun dealers, as well as many smaller ones (FFL).
    4. We have a huge range built in the crater of an extinct volcano (perfect 360 degree barrier) set up for rifles out to 400 yards, pistol (metal) silhouette, pistol paper target, trap, skeet, IPSC, Bullseye, and Cowboy firearm activities.
    5. I have not looked into starting up an IDPA league, as I am a strong believer that the Glock is superior to most (if not all) handguns in its class, and would like to expand its popularity here (we already have a strong following). Since IPSC already has very stong membership, I doubt that those competing would have interest in IDPA matches (politics involved), although that's an assumption.
    6. Thanks for even considering a reply to my post Rusty. You are the only one that chimed in, which really has bothered me a bit...as I assumed someone would have more information on the subject. Waiting on replies to this post has been disconcerting.
    7. If the information is not available, I will have to resign myself to IPSC matches (not that that's all bad). I would like to see more camaraderie among Glock owners...as opposed to the 1911/full-race/red-dot/38 super/$3,000 pistol owners, who currently have the greatest number of participants in IPSC (don't get me wrong, they are all fantastic guys).

Thanks again for your time Rusty.

4. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Glock owns and operates GSSF. GSSF runs the outdoor matches. They typically send two people to run a match, hence the cost of operating a match in Hawaii.

To have a match you need a range with accomadations for 350-450 people, space for 8 bays, two sets of plate racks and about 20-30 volunteers to help RO the match and provide support. Contact Chris Edwards, he decides who, when and where matches are run. You can contact him 770-432-1202 ext 223.

5. freeman4ever

I will contact Chris on Tuesday. Hopefully considerations can be made.

Thanks again,

-Aaron

6. GJM89

GJM89

Jerry, I think that Chris Edwards should ask us to go and help with that match,whata ya think???:D :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;p ;p

7. Fireglock

I could work that into my schedule. ;f How about you?

8. GJM89

GJM89

I'll have to check my dance card but I think I'm free, I'll even pay for my own meals.;9 ;9 ;9

9. Fireglock

Yeah, I could do that! ;f But only because it's for a good cause.

10. GJM89

GJM89

Exactly, that would be some super lube on fri. night, and then a luau for sat. night dinner, I bet we could even get ms. vivki to go for that??;f ;f ;f

11. Fireglock

I would say that's a possibility. ;f

12. freeman4ever

Man, you guys really lit this thread up!

If you ever do make it down here, it's everything that you've heard...but so much better in person.;f

13. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Freeman,

There would be no shortage of volunteers from Glock or GSSF. I would even volunteer my assistance if someone would just pay my expenses.:cool:

On a more serious note, GSSF does not sanction the outdoor matches, which are not a league type match. GSSF administers the matches in person. GSSF sends at least two employees and all necessary equipment to each match. The equipment often includes plate racks, poppers, a supply of targets, timers, clipboards, registration forms, tents, etc. There are presently 27 GSSF matches held each year. Some states have two matches. California has three. That means there are no matches in over half of the states. If you get a chance, check out the map of the USA found under "Maps & Results" at www.gssfonline.com

The GSL (Glock Shooting League) is a series of three indoor matches that is sanctioned by GSSF. GSL is normally a 50 shot match similar to PPC except that all shots are fired from an upright position. I think any indoor range with 25 yard lanes can apply for that series.

14. freeman4ever

That sucks. We have everything except the "two employees". If GSSF wants to reach-out-and-touch everyone, something has to change.

Okay, this may be possible. We have an indoor range that I believe qualifies. The only problem is that they cater to the Japanese tourists (rentals) in Waikiki (as you all know, Japanese citizens are not allowed ANY firearms). This may cut into their profits. I'll have someone follow up.

Thanks Danny. At the rate this is going, I may just have to stick with IPSC.;1

15. bt22

bt22

16. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Freeman,

I know you are disappointed, but try to understand Glock's need for administration by Glock/GSSF staff. Ther are 10 pistols and about $2,700.00 is cash prizes awarded at each GSSF event. All stages must be set-up according to strick GSSF guidlines. Any disputes must be resolved by GSSF staff. RO's must attend a 30 minute meeting with the GSSF staff regarding operating procedures. Contestands must watch a GSSF Video before they are allowed to compete in their first GSF match.

17. freeman4ever

Danny,

As it stands right now, I don't beleive that we win much more than twenty-bucks in a pistol match anyway. The idea was not to have people "win" stuff (although that's a BIG PLUS!). The idea was geared more towards having "Glock Only" matches.

It would seem to be a simple compromise of not having Glock pay a dime...but rather, recognizing a GSSF match (in a state that GSSF currently does not frequent) without all the goodies.

Oh well, I still need to give Chris a call.

18. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

if what you want is a match for glock pistols

you really should look at IDPA

you could start the hawaiian club and get your name on the IDPA website on this page http://www.idpa.com/clubs/states/hawaii.htm

and you could set up and run your own monthly match

didnt you know that they are thinking about renaming IDPA to the glock defensive pistol association (GDPA)

glocks rule!

lol - sorry Mr. Wilson

even if you got one GSSF match in hawaii, it would be one weekend out of the year.

and your would have 51 long weeks to wait to get your results (oops, I meant wait for the next match)

have you thought about moving to south carolina?

19. freeman4ever

IDPA sounds like a good idea, as we do not even have a Hawaii contingent yet.

However, I am pretty sure IDPA would frown upon us trying to make the matches "Glock Only".;f

As for moving to South Carolina, well, any state that is more "gun friendly" than Hawaii would be a strong consideration. Of course it would be hard to leave this weather.:cool:

I have yet to contact Chris...however, the more I think about it, pursuing IDPA sounds like a better idea.

Baby steps.