Started jogging tonight. First time in 2 years. Recommendations for running shoes....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Detectorist, Sep 26, 2020.

1. CC Glock

CC Glock

You burn the same calories walking a mile as you do running/jogging a mile. Your knees will thank you later! Regardless it's good that you are getting out, keep it up!

2. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

These are my go-to for jogging.
    hermanmunster.jpg

Detectorist likes this.

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I like the sentiment, but doubt the math checks out.

Be interesting to see calculations on that :)

I do agree that walking is good execise and less stressful and less injury prone.

I'm of the philosophy that someone should lose weight to run, not run to lose weight :)

treg likes this.
  4. treg

treg

Coming from a similar weight and down 50 lbs, I've had great success with Salomon trail running shoes.

That said, I've found intense biking to be better on my legs as a major source of cardio. Some jogging is still good to shake things up and use different muscles.

5. Detectorist

Detectorist

Biking is awesome.

6. CC Glock

CC Glock

Give or take 2-5 calories. Research it some. Run a mile in 7min or walk one in 15min it's about 90cal. Only thing you are getting by running would be cardiovascular exercise but then you have wear and tear on the knees and back.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  7. CC Glock

CC Glock

We bike somewhere between 10k and 15k a year. It can definitely become a way of life especially if where you live is bike friendly

8. Kawabuggy

Kawabuggy

I can't help you on the shoe decision, but I did want to say Kudos to you for starting running! I picked it up again in a quest to lose weight last year. I can't remember a time I felt better! If I miss a day of running now, I can feel my body dragging. Yes, it's hard to get into the habit of doing it.. But once you do, a lot of the normal aches and pains that come with age seem to melt away. I LOVE running now. I run 3 miles a day, on average 5 days a week. I hope you are able to stick with it! It took me about 3 months to get used to it and after that 3rd month my body really began to show me that it liked it. Please, stick with it! No matter how hard it seems, if you can make it to that 3rd month (+ or -) you will really enjoy the benefits. I'm no longer winded going up flights of stairs. I can not only keep up with my 28 year old GF, but she is the one usually needing a short break... :) I helped a friend move recently and after boxing everything up we began loading the truck.. He was winded within 10 minutes.. sweating and breathing heavy.. I was perfectly fine. He asked me "WTF?'.. I told him I've been running.. I've never experienced a "runners high"... But I can tell you that over-all, you just feel better in your day to day activities. If you can stick with this... You will truly enjoy the benefits.. I'm rooting for you!

9. Detectorist

Detectorist

I think I'll pass on the expensive running shoes. I'll just keep on using my Sketchers for now.

CC Glock likes this.