close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

start position in GSSF

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Kerrville Dan, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Kerrville Dan

Kerrville Dan

I’ve been reading Andy Stanford who recommends an intermediate position in the tactical draw called the weapon-retention position. This position is one in which the muzzle is pointing to the ground in front of the shooter with the arms in close contact with the body (arms not extended). I find this position leads to quicker sight pictures once the arms are extended to the target in the tactical draw.

I’m wondering if something like the weapon-retention position is legal in GSSF as a start position. The low ready position with arms extended that I usually see in GSSF creates the bowling action mentioned by Stanford as one raises the handgun to the target. I’d prefer to start with the muzzle pointing to the “spot” but with the more compact body position without the arms extended.

Question: Do the GSSF rules specify and define “low ready” position or just muzzle pointing to the spot? Can someone point me to the specific rule in print?

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

To the best of my knowledge the limitation on keeping your arms in tight will be if you can keep the muzzle basically at a 45 degree angle aimed at a spot (usually 15 yards down range) and still clear the table/drum/barricade at the shooting position. If at low ready you muzzle intersects the above mentioned shooting barricade, you'll be called on it.

3. 40blaster

40blaster

ood Question. I have RO'd a BUNCH of GSSF match's and have seen bout every thing. One guy insisted on starting with the muzzel of his gun resting on the table, I explained the rule and then shruged my shoulders and let him have at it. I feel if there is no advantage gained and safety is not an issue then lets start shooting. It's supposed to be fun, right?
    Then there are guys that like to hang their rear sight on the first target, arms extended straight out, and they tip the barrel of their gun toward the forty-five degree angle or toward the post, some even with their finger on the trigger. They don't shoot on my stage unless they get it right tho I do offer to let them take their score sheet to a different RO. Most of Jacksonville's RO's are USPSA certified Range Officers and have a good understanding of what to do with somebody who wants to do it a little bit different.
    Anyway, the bottom line is you must do what the RO tells you and forty five degree angle is the rule. But, by all means ask first, then, if it's not a problem most, will say "OK have fun, load and make ready."