Starbucks Store Manager Average Salary $45k + bene's!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Big Bird, Jan 27, 2013.

1. The Fed

The Fed

I'm surprised but retail managers everywhere get bonuses based on sales and shrinkage.

2. TK-421

TK-421

$45k a year really isn't that much when you realize how many hours they put in, how much work they have to do, and how much stress they have to go through. I bet they make close to minimum wage for the amount of hours they put in. I'd rather have a cushy 9-5 office job at $35k a year than a management job at $45k a year.

3. fallenangelhim

fallenangelhim come get some

I make $45k a year plus benefits as a department manager at Whole Foods.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. Phaze5ive

Phaze5ive

1. I wish these sort of reports would stop pushing the AVERAGE, and report the median.

2. It's $45k. It's not that much...

5. devildog2067

devildog2067

The mean and the median are mathematically equivalent as long as the distribution is symmetrical. Typically, the spread in salaries within a single corporation within a single country isn't going to have enough skewness to matter.
    The point isn't that it's "not that much." It's more that it's a job which requires zero qualifications except for a willingness to work hard and start from the bottom. You don't need a college degree. You don't need a lot of physical strength. You don't need to be hugely intelligent. All you have to do is show up and work hard.

6. Phaze5ive

Phaze5ive

I understand, but it's more of a trust issue :supergrin: I should have added that they should always list both.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  7. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

45k a year? Is it really that bad out there?

I made more than that when I started in IT.

8. silentpoet

silentpoet

Open carry would prevent this.

9. BSA70

BSA70

The retail manager money anywhere you work sounds good until you put a pencil on it.

I was in the Grocery biz 20 years ago. Teenager stocking shelves. Everyone coveted the management positions.

I started looking at the hours they were at the store and the tremendous amount of stress. It caused me to want to get as far away from retail as I could get.

That guy making 45 k at starbucks. The numbers start dipping and he is out the door.

I cannot understand how they get the big revenue of their high priced coffee. Nobody I know goes into the place!

10. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

$45k a year is the salary for a 0-2 in the military with 2 years service. That's with a college degree and quite a bit more responsibility and time commitment. Not to mention the whole get deployed for a year and get shot at thingy.

11. Phaze5ive

Phaze5ive

You forgot to mention that in the .mil you get free/allowances for food/housing and medical care is free. Also, there are extra compensations when deployed overseas. That $45k in the military is pretty much pocket money if you do it right.

ETA: it also only sucks if you're a Marine or Soldier. If you're an Airmen, Sailor, or Coastie, you're life is pretty much pie even if you deploy.

12. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

They also get:
    -free healthcare
    -free on-base housing with no utility bills or heavily subsidised off-base housing
    -monthly food stipend
    -unifirm allowance
    -28 days paid vacation
    -full pension after 20 years
    - ....I could go on!

So the 45K a two year military 0-2 SM gets is pretty much disposable income.

13. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    :agree:

14. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

The folks at Starbucks get healthcare and other benefits too. Plus all the coffee you can drink!:tongueout:

15. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

the cops patrolling most streets in America dont make that much even after 10 years.

16. CBennett

CBennett

If you asked me to guess thats just about what id have figured id probably have said $47,000..many managerial positions DO actually make that much. Way back when I was in college in the early 90's late 80's mcDonalds managers THEn were making (where I was) in the $30,000 range(low 30's as i recall $32,000 for the local one)

I worked while in College at Footlocker yes the shoe store they were affiliated with Kinney Shoes(through Woolworth Corporation) Footlocker managers were then(1992) making $60,000 a year for a medium size store(Erie PA at that time) and Kinney Shoes slightly less at $53,000 a year..not bad for the early 1990's...

17. Triple7

Triple7

I'm a Assistant Store Manager at Old Navy....I make more than that with benes.... Retail can pay ok...hours kinda suck.

18. collim1

collim1

and they earn every penny of it in the ways mentioned above. Lots of BS with crappy employees and 6 or 7 day work weeks totaling 60-70hrs.

19. devildog2067

devildog2067

It's hard work. I don't think anyone said or implied otherwise. The only point is that it literally doesn't take any skills to get in the door. You don't need a college degree. You don't need to join a union or get a certificate.

All you need is your wits and the willingness to work hard. To succeed, you need some luck, sure. But the point is that even those who didn't have some of the chances others did have some opportunity. There's not a lot of places in the world like that.

That's what being a manager is. You're responsible for your store.
    I go there fairly regularly--depending on the morning, it's worth $1.85 to get an extra 15 minutes of sleep vs. brewing my own coffee.

20. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

sounds too much like the American dream doesnt it?