Starbucks Store Manager Average Salary $45k + bene's!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Big Bird, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

http://www.ehow.com/about_7486618_average-salary-starbucks-store-manager.html

Not bad for a crummy retail store manager position. A few years back my wife worked for Starbucks and they promoted her to manager in 4 months. Its not that hard... Just give a damn about your work and your customers and show up when you are scheduled.

Of course you have to work your way up into the position and everyone thinks they should start as a CEO these days... But grunt it out for a year or so and you'll get promoted.

One of my best friends from HS works for Walmart and has done so for close to 30 years. He's a store manager in a :big supercenter and makes decent coin for a guy without a college education. Of course he started out part time too. But within a short time he was a department manager, assistant store manager etc... He's done OK for himself and his family. I know...that's not possible at Walmart. :upeyes:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  2. Restless28

Restless28

That's not bad at all.

3. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

I don't envy the managers one red cent of their pay. Think of the hassles they go through on a daily basis dealing with the ever shifting staff, workers not coming in on time, the cranky customers, late deliveries and the always demanding corporate head-quarters folks....:wow:

It may seem like only a cup of coffee, but I sure wouldn't want the job.

By the way....I've never been in a Starbucks.....I'm a Tim Hortons or Dunkin' Donuts type of guy..:supergrin:

4. mrmedina

mrmedina NRA Member

These jobs will make you money, reading over 30 years ago. McDonald's managers were making enough money to join golf country clubs.

No shame in any job if makes you money.:wavey:

5. spork

spork Caffeinator

I have met a few folks who did well enough in retail and the like just by having work ethic. They were quickly moved through the ranks of management and were doing as well as many folks with 4-year degrees and office jobs. I had a friend in high school who started as a theater usher and was managing his own theater within 2 years.

On the other end of the spectrum, there are far more examples of folks of don't "make it" because they feel that they are too good for the work, or just don't care.

6. boomhower

boomhower

The walmart folks make really good money. Assistant Manager at $60k plus bonuses and Store Managers at $100k plus bonuses. Those are what my local Walmart makes and this is in the middle of no-where NC. It's bound to be the low end.

7. CAcop

CAcop

Starbucks has been known to take care of their employees for what they do in terms of pay and benes. The only one that I heard of that is better is Costco. They are two of three places I might look for work when I retire. Depending on if the wife wants to get her PhD or not.

A lot of the people I know in corporate, non franchise, businesses can do well if they work hard and are willing to move.

Twenty years ago when I was in college I worked for Sears. I was considered one of their better employees because I worked hard and did what I was told. I knew tis because even though at part time I ended up with more hours than some of the full time people that were loads. I knew it wasn't anything I wanted to do for a living because I could see me having to work for years at the low end just to get promoted unless I wanted to move wherever the company wanted me too. That and it sucked working indoors all day.

8. kiole

kiole

Your the manager plus babysitter for 16-25 yr olds with tons of drama. Large retail managers and fast food manager can make much more then that 45k.

Local grocery chains here pay a manager 100k+ with bonuses .

9. ray9898

ray9898

Its not an easy job. I know a couple of people who are restaurant managers and both work 60-70 hours a week. They get crappy split schedules because they are expected to order, inventory and receive shipments in the morning along with being there to oversee the operation in the busy times which are evenings and every weekend. The manager at my local Starbucks is there 95% of the time when I am so I can only assume it is similar. They earn their check.

10. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn Got Pignose?

Divide that $45k by hours worked, it's not that much. I suspect 10 hour days are the norm, and 12 hour days aren't uncommon.

I used to talk to a lady who worked there, and I guess when she saw the logo on my shirt, she felt the need to tell me her resume. She had a very accomplished background, but got tired of the rat race, and decided to work at Starbucks until retirement. She said the benefit package was exceptional.

11. Hummerbike

Hummerbike

One of my employees father was a manager at a Super Walmart in Albuquerque. He was making over $225,000 a year. He quit to manage a Lowes for more money. I got this from his son.
    That was ten years ago.

12. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Yeah...its work. Which is why a lot of people won't do it and make $8 an hour.

13. JJohnson

JJohnson Call me Jeff

That $45k isn't a lot more than $8 an hour after you figure how many hours they put in the job in a year.

I always tip the manager of the store I frequent a little more because of that.

14. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

that's obvious!

15. Agsuper1

Agsuper1

My wife started in the country club business 20 years ago with no degree and manages a large club in town. I have two degrees from A&M and she makes close to double my salary.

16. glockdoc21

glockdoc21

I second the above comments about just gutting it out and actually showing up. I'm AMAZED working in a medical field how many people I see call in sick WEEKLY. I've seen a meth addict from a half-way house become an assistant manager in 6 months at a large Sears simple because he busted it EVERY DAY (I was working with the guy in receiving, and one day he shows up in a new Volvo and is an assistant manager...he still helped us unload trucks though!)

17. Glock!9

Glock!9

That is like $10 an hour....

18. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

I knew a girl in high school (not really a girl anymore) that worked at K Mart. She worked her way to the jewelry counter, which she really liked.

I saw her a few years ago and now she is a jewelry buyer for K Mart nationally . She's probably making very good money and she likes the perks from being a jewelry buyer (free samples, world travel).

19. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

You can make more in management at Los Pollos..

20. 4095fanatic

4095fanatic

Makes more than I do as a firefighter/paramedic. Haha. Should've stuck with my winter break job stocking shelves at WM I guess :-D.