Starbucks. Enough already!

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Chad Landry, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

This whole thing was amusing at first, but now it's becoming annoying.

A nuisance, even.

No one ever gave Wal Mart this amount of **** for choosing to honor state laws.

The Brady bunch are making me want to get up and start farting in their general direction (again).

2. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

I could not agree more CJ. I am getting really sick of seeing all the articles that have been written about it. It is a business's decision to allow or not allow firearms on their property. Not the damn Brady Bunch's decision, as much as they would like it to be.

They really need to learn to quit minding everybody else's business.

3. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

When Starbucks started, it was run by an anti. They gave a certain percentage of the profits to Handgun Control Incorporated. The management changed and that no longer happens.

Starbucks was firmly in anti territory until recently and it's being seen as a major blow to the anti gun crusaders. That's the only reason this is such a huge thing to them. Their own people are turning on them.

4. Chad Landry

I know it, Dan.

I'm just really sick of their wanting to dictate how the Pansie coffee house runs their business.

They're so freaked out about this that it's getting on my nerves. And not much gets on my nerves this much.

5. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

:) This'll blow over in about another week.

When McDonald comes out there'll be another bout with it all, though. Maybe when the WA case gets to SCOTUS.

There's going to be more of these for a bit until the dust settles, though. Might as well get used to that. HCI is in full panic mode and they have no argument but they have a LOT of really good noise makers.

6. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Does this have to do with the guy carrying openly into a Starbucks?

This would not have been an issue if the guy hadn't made it an issue. I'd assume that most companies would prefer to go "out of sight, out of mind" but some people who want to push the issue make it an issue when it doesn't need to be forcing companies to make a decision when all was well before.

Sorry if I've gotten the wrong situation, I referencing the guy who was OC and the trooper confronted him. If not, how about posting the reference article.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  7. Chad Landry

The referenced articles are all over the world right now

No, this isn't about one guy

This is about one company

8. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Sorry if I missed something, can you put up an article link to let me catch up? No problems at my local Starbucks as far as CCW is concerned anyway.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Think about the people you see in Starbucks - I figure the antis think that since they cater to a pretty liberal crowd, Starbucks was likely to give in and go anti-gun. Not much chance of Wal Mart customers rolling over for an anti-gun store.

10. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

This isn't "an article" thing, seriously, it's multiple article upon article. It's all over CA and WA. if you do a search on starbucks here on GT you'll see what a bruhaha is going on. Quite a few of them are already posted.

11. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

I see everyone from, high school students, plumbers, electicians, people that just got done running, to people doing business for grocery stores, and even myself having a meeting with government, law enforcement etc. in my local starbucks. Pretty much a cross-section of the population. Doubt they'll roll over.

12. kensteele

kensteele

Different type of crowd you see in Starbucks as opposed to Walmart.

13. AggiePhil

AggiePhil ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Supposedly Starbucks was taking a pretty neutral stance (good for us) at first, but the tide has somewhat shifted back toward them not wanting to be seen as the poster child for open carry. As an example, a certain message board that I'm a member of had a patch made up that resembled my avatar. It went viral and sold out within a couple days. Before they could set up a second batch, the decision was made to cancel the project since it was having a reverse effect as Starbucks was apparently starting to regret their stance due to being seen as the poster child for open carry. Not a good thing.

14. novaDAK

novaDAK

I'd hate to see Starbucks ban carry, all because a few Californians got all huffy over some people doing what they call open carry (unloaded).

I've been OCing (loaded, of course) in several starbucks for quite a few years and have never had a problem. Heck, I know the manager of one well enough that he always takes my order so he and I can chat a bit (if it's not crowded).

Again, I'd hate if he was forced to ask me to leave, due to something 3,000 miles away.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  15. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

16. zysus

zysus

I think this is a classic vote with your $ issue.

If Coffee-bucks decides to go anti again, just don't buy coffee there.

Same reason I buy my guns from local stores. Might cost a tad more but I get the service I want and they support pro views within the local political climate. Also supports local jobs.

17. Monotonous ONE

Monotonous ONE

the whole issue makes me thirst for a frappucino

18. Eradik

Eradik

I've been following the Starbucks debate when threads and stuff would pop up, but I had no idea about this! Makes it make more sense to me why the antis are freaking out, and makes me smile just a little bit knowing that they flopped on them!

Yes, me too!

19. INJoker

INJoker Simply Charming

People just really, really know how to eff up a good thing.

Starbucks, a hippie-liberal coffee joint, decides to make a sensible decision and honor state and local laws over Handgun Control Inc.'s wishes. Instead of the pro-gun crowd quietly saying, "Thank you," and rewarding Starbucks by increasing the number of times per week they purchase coffee there, they turn the whole thing into a headache for Starbucks.

AggiePhil, the very fact that you have that as your avatar is perpetuating the problem. It's because of childish crap like that that company's DO go back on their commitment and ban guns. It makes all of US look like immature gun-nuts.

"Well, we thought we were doing the right thing, but now the 2nd Amendment wackos are holding pro-gun rallies in our stores and selling t-shirts and bumper stickers that portray our stores as being affiliated with the Pro-2nd Amendment movement, which we are not. Our only option at this point is to ban firearms in our stores."

Way to screw it up, people. Way to screw it up.

Instead of making this a small, quiet victory, we've turned it into a circus.

20. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

But don't both sides do that?

If Starbucks decided tomorrow to post "no firearms" signs at all their stores, the pro-gun side would be the one having hissy fits, calling for boycotts, and trying to get the company to change its policy.