close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Star Wars and 4yr old

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ithaca_deerslayer, Mar 31, 2010.

1. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

My son and I watch all 6 of the Star Wars movies. Plus a couple of the cartoon ones.

He's about 4 3/4.

Question. Was there still Sith after the Emperor and Darth Vader die? They were Sith Lords. Always in 2's, supposedly.

My son, brought up this question, and thinks there are still the Sith (in the Star Wars world), because there are still Storm Troopers.

Hmm, very astute, I think. He didn't say it, but I'll say that whenever you have people, there is always someone bad willing to lead them. The storm troopers may just need a new leader to step forward.

There can always be another King of England or another Hitler, in spite of what the anti-gun people say.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  2. Menehune

Menehune

Nope, only two at a time. And they both died within minutes of each other. Storm troopers are just soldiers. Yeah, someone may lead them, but it wouldn't be a Sith.

But then, I have never read beyond the movies. I know that there has been a whole universe created by novels and what would be episodes 7, 8 and 9.

and really, saying your kid wanted to know this...:supergrin:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010

3. Dreamaster

Dreamaster

I don't know what's worse, your misunderstanding of Storm Troopers, or the fact that I'm nerd enough to be able to explain it to you...

If there are any more Sith they are not "known". It is likely that the Emperor took on another apprentice, but even if he did the entire Death Star was destroyed. "The Force Unleased" video game's story is centered around the premise that you play Darth Vader's secret apprentice. In the movie lines though, he wanted Luke as his apprentice, badly.

Storm troopers are just cloned fighters, "enhanced to take orders" by their creators. It was hard to explain to my daughter why they are good guys in Episode II but bad guys in Episode 4... basically, just they do what they're told by their leader. They have no knowledge or ability to use the force, hence none of them are "Sith." If you pay attention in the original Star Wars (Episode 4 from 1978) Tarkin tells Vador "The Jedi are all but extinct you are the last of that old religion".

With the movies ending, the only Jedi left alive is Luke, but we know that Leia is force sensative and he will likely train her. There is a series of books that follow her children who also become Jedi and their attempts to rebuild the Jedi Order. (I have not read them however.)

I hope that helps.

4. wprebeck

wprebeck Got quacks?

For a non-canon answer, please refer to the Expanded Universe. Most of which is contained within a few dozen books. "Canon" refers to the movies - the EU can contradict itself quite a bit. Witness the Karen Traviss series of novels concerning the Republic Troopers versus the Cartoon Network's Clone Wars version of Mandalore and Mandalorians. Although both were approved by Lucas prior to release, the CN's version is drastically different than the books. As in, they bear no resemblance to each other, other than a couple of names.

In any case, throughout the many novels that have been authored in the last couple of decades - Yes, there have been other Sith lords appear. Most notably would be Jacen Solo, son of Han and Leia. He became "Darth Caedus" after being seduced to the dark side.

And yes, I'm a proud SW geek. :tongueout:

5. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

IIRC... the Emperor had made several ready-for-the-soul clones of himself created, and he did NOT die when tossed down the shaft by Vader. He was strong enough in the force to return to another body. Don't know what happened next... :dunno:

6. Goaltender66

Goaltender66 NRA GoldenEagle

It didn't work because Adama destroyed the Resurrection Hub.

7. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Yes... there is always a sith, in order for yin yang balance, good must have evil and vice versa. The thing is a new sith will appear as the Jedi order is rebuilt. There was a whole slew of books written to continue the Star Wars saga and in them Luke start to rebuild the Jedi order, Leia married Solo and they had twins...

So yes, another sith will be created and from that will an apprentice be recruited.

8. RichJ

RichJ

^^^ I would be embarrassed to show that I knew all the Star Wars mythology.

For double-bonus Geek points: How strong is the USS Enterprise's tractor beam? (without referencing the Star Trek Compendium)

9. netmage2112

netmage2112

The Clones\Storm Troopers follow orders...

Senator Palpatine(Sith Lord) was the leader of the senate, twisting and turning the events in Episode's 1-3, essentially playing both sides pitting the Republic vs. the Trade Federation. In the Clone Wars time frame, they becomes Separatists...

In Episode's 4-6, the Senate has been dissolved\disbanded, and Palpatine is now anointed Emperor, and no longer a republic, but an Empire. The Clones\Storm Troopers are simply the standing Army, ready to follow orders.

10. joker42179

joker42179

damn trekkies :upeyes:

11. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Very!

12. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

In what way have I misunderstood the Storm Troopers?

They have done a lot of killing of good people. The Storm Troopers are individuals with brains. Following orders is not something anyone can hide behind.

What would prevent one of them, or any other character, from having learned a bit about the dark side?

Would Leia perhaps go to the dark side to revenge against all the wrongs "men" portrayed against her?

13. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

We all have our hobbies. Mine is science fiction, I have been fascinated with space and sci-fi since I was a boy. My first sci-fi movie was the original Flash Gordon, with Buster Crabb. I was hooked after that.

While you might be embarrassed I just see it as another facet of life. As for the Enterprise tractor beam strength... I would have to ask which model / version of Enterprise are you referring too and even with that I couldn't tell you. I enjoy sci-fi and have some pretty decent knowledge but I am not a fanatic where I need to know detailed specifications. That's my room mate.

14. void *

void * Dereference Me!

I'm probably talking out of my behind here, because I suspect there is far greater knowledge of the SW universe floating around this board, but the force seems to follow family lines at least to some extent, and Jango Fett was not, to my knowledge, force sensitive at all - although I could be wrong about that - and he was the one cloned.

15. wprebeck

wprebeck Got quacks?

Read the "Republic Trooper" series I mentioned, by Karen Traviss. If you hold to that storyline, it goes a long way in explaining how the Emperor misrepresented the Jedi and the Clone Wars. Keep in mind that the Emperor and his close followers had almost everyone in the galaxy fooled as to what they were doing. At war's end, with the killing of the Jedi, "right" and "wrong" were turned upside down. To the extent that the majority of the clonetroopers (and later, the stormtroopers) knew, they were not only following orders - they were killing bad guys bent on destroying the lawfully (to their knowledge) installed government.

It wasn't their fault they were lied to. Sure, many troopers left the Republic even before Order 66 and the fall of the Republic due to fighting what they believed was an unjust war. Many more deserted after they witnessed the atrocities of the Empire. But, for the most part, the troopers believed that what they were told was the gospel truth and just did what they felt what their duty to the Empire.

Kinda hard to fault a man who fights for his country, when he's been lied to for years. He does what he believes is right, based on the information he has at the time. That's what the majority of troopers did in the war against both the Republic and later, the Rebels.

As far as "learning the dark side" for a trooper - initially, ALL troopers were clones of Jango Fett. During the Clone Wars, the genetic material originally used from Fett detoriated to the point it couldn't be used. This resulted in "recruitment" of other troopers, all human due to the Emperor's xenophobic beliefs. Also, certain troopers were "flash" cloned with Spaarti cylinders, which resulted in them going insane. The reasons behind the flash cloning were never fully explained in the series. Karen Traviss and Lucasarts had a parting of ways, and well....several storylines were abandoned. Which sucks, because I had just finished reading all the series over a couple of weeks.

Oh well, we'll never really know, unless someone picks up the Spaarti cylinder thread at some point. That can be delved into without worrying about the other plotlines in Traviss' series.

Anyway - being a Jedi is an inherited trait, except for Anakin. His birth has never been explained as of yet, either. But, one doesn't just "learn" the dark side powers without having Force abilities. Given that the troopers weren't bred with those abilities, it was impossible for them to learn any aspect of how to be a Sith, Jedi, dark Jedi, fallen Jedi, Damothir Force Witch, or any other Force user.

As I said, I'm a SW geek.

16. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

If you go by the books then yes there are others
    Also Dark Jedi's

Read the Timothy Zahn books or you can get the audio book version of them. They're pretty dern good if you're in to Star Wars

17. RichJ

RichJ

Lighten up Francis. It's fun.

I work with a guy who keeps the Star Trek Technical Manual on his shelf at work. Even he has a sense of humor about his geekyness.

18. Trigun

Trigun

Lucus sucked the magic out of the series with the midichlorian BS. Seemed to represent the two different periods in hollywood. The later being the ultra PC anti religion disorder that overrides the desire to tell a good story. But you would think if you could detect the Force with a microscope then, with all the technology they have, science based super powers would cause a massive desire to inject midichlorians into soldiers and anyone with money. Just seemed to blow a hole in the story. They never mention it as a "religion" in the newest films but more than once in the old films. Did they just forget about "midichlorians"? Was it like global warming? The scientific "consensus" was that midichlorians were important but then one massive scandal after another diminished the link to midichlorians. After that, anyone who still believed in "The Force" was made out to be some kind of religious nut? Also, are midichlorians responsible for eye irritation at indoor pools?

19. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Sorry, should have added this... :whistling::supergrin:

Sometimes I fergit you can't see my smiling mug!

20. Dreamaster

Dreamaster

Were they killing "good people"? Or were they doing their best to protect the Republic with their life? Protect it from "rebels" who sought to destroy the empire. War is always a matter of perspective. One of my favorite lines is in Episode III when the emperor says "And then we can have peeaacce."

When we rose up against British rule who was "evil"? We were colonies... we were "children" of the empire, we came here to help grow it and to create greater strength for all involved. What did we do? We betrayed everything we were sent to do... we rose up against our oppressors and declared independence out of frustration for undue taxation?

Yes I am playing devil's advocate but I hope you see the point.... which I think is even more relevant today. Our country has been divided before... we fought an enormous war, killed untold thousands on both sides... JUST to keep us United. Now we see similar trends, appearances of those who wish to usurp our freedoms and those who wish to take it back, by force if necessary... which side is "right"? Which side is just?

/steps off soapbox.