Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having issues getting photos of the stars that are "good".

Show me what you got. Tell me about your settings.

I don't get where I can take these pictures often and when I do I don't have a way of looking at the photos on a computer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
What are you trying to achieve, and what are you shooting with?

Here are some early attempts at star trails; I made them about two years ago. They're stacks done in LR3, exposures were on the order of 5min @ f/5, ISO 200. I don't recall what lens was used for the first one, but I'm pretty sure the second two were made with the 14mm on an EOS 7D. I'd have to find the original shots and get the EXIF data from them - it goes away in the stacking operation. They were taken with an interval timer set to bang out the 5 min shots one after another, then stacked using a preset I found online somewhere. I can likely find the info for you if you'd like.

-Pat

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am just not happy with my results. I think some of it is that I can not just play around with it a little every night until I like it. I have to travel out away from home to find darkness. And I think some of it is the locations I can find that are dark. I don't like the foreground.

I have the D7000 and probably use my run around lens (28-300 Nikkor). I could use a faster wider angle, but I will have this lens with me and use it during the day.

I think I understand the tech. Set the sensor for long exposure. 30 seconds gets me a star with a tail. 15 seconds will get the stars to mostly stop. 3 seconds gives the star almost no tail. The lower the ISO the better, but I should do ok with anything under 1000.

I get a considerably different shot between my Raw and JPG, so I probably need to continue shooting both until I understand the results better.

Point at the north star if I want everything to circle it. Android/Google has a nice app for finding the North star.

I am just not happy with my results. Maybe I am expecting to much.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Can you post an example of what you've gotten and don't like? Are you doing any post processing? (I did none on what I posted, other than stacking them.)

You need to shoot on crystal clear nights - if there's any haze, it will show up and muddy things up - fall seems to be one of the best times to shoot.

I believe that there are also programs that will let you stack multiple SHORT exposures to permit you to build up brighter images WITHOUT the trails (similar to using a tracking mount); with these you obviously want a sky picture without stationary things on the ground showing in the frame.

Bear in mind that if you shoot in RAW, you get a raw image (no pun intended) - JPGs have some processing done to them as they're saved by the camera, and thus have more 'pop' than unprocessed RAW images. If you shoot RAW and don't post (and I don't know if you do or not), the RAW images will be flatter and less appealing than the JPGs appear.

-Pat

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I just figured out some of my issues. Instead of working with my JPG. Instead of looking at my Raw in Picasa. I opened up some in Photoshop.

My only issue now is composition.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
This was one of my first attempts, haven't had d3ecent conditions and time since.

Canon 7d
Tokina 11-16
F2.8
ISO 1600
30sec
plus a speedlight or two.

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was one of my first attempts, haven't had d3ecent conditions and time since.

Canon 7d
Tokina 11-16
F2.8
ISO 1600
30sec
plus a speedlight or two.
Let me be the first one to tell you......you suck.:wavey:

Seriously, the more I work at it the more I dislike my shots. I had more luck on my first time, now I struggle to get something I like.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
lol :)

I've had a similar thing happen, that was from our first outing. I've not had the same conditions since and even with a little more experience photos following that one have not been better.

I'm going away camping to a more remote area soon so hopefully I'll get some decent astro shots.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I think I just figured out some of my issues. Instead of working with my JPG. Instead of looking at my Raw in Picasa. I opened up some in Photoshop.

My only issue now is composition.
Not sure how long you've been shooting but www.digitalphotographyschool.com is a great website with lots of articles and a great forum. I've been shooting for a couple of years now and still go back constantly when I need to advice on shooting in different conditions.

As far as compositions, just stick with it and whenever you can bring your camera with so you don't miss "that shot". I also use the gps on my phone to mark areas I find that May be great to shoot at a different time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts