Standby mode or Shut down mode?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by m5shooter, Aug 5, 2007.

1. m5shooter

m5shooter

I just got a new PC and I wanted to know what is the best way to keep it lasting for many years.
    Should I use the standby mode or the turn off mode if I'm going to be away and not use the computer for more than 12 hours.
    When I used the standby mode I can still hear the fan running on the PC so I'm concerned that running it all the time like this will cause the part to fail prematurely.
    But I also read that shutting down your computer and restarting it causes more things to fail than using the standby mode.
    Once again this is for being away for 12 hours or more a day.

Thanks.

2. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

It really doesn't matter.

The turn it off/keep it on debate has no real clearcut answer and it's more speculation and theory than anything else.

If electricity matters to you, turn it off. Otherwise, use standby mode (unsure how much electricity standby mode really uses).

However, if waiting however long it takes for the computer to turn on bothers you, use standby mode.

Myself, I turn my computer off every night and it's lasted me fine for the last 6 years with no real issues. Were I to be away from it for 12 hours I'd just keep it off.

3. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Yeah this is a classic "Ford vs Chevy" argument with no real evidence for either side. Since power costs keep rising, I normally turn mine off every night.