close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Standard Barrel vs Bull Barrel

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by dragon281tx, Oct 29, 2010.

1. dragon281tx

dragon281tx

I'm currently in the market for my 1st 1911 and already overwhelmed by all the different types of options you can get on a 1911. My main concern of the moment is whether i should go with the standard barrel or the bull barrel. To be even more specific, the pistols im looking at are the stainless TRP (standard barrel) and the railed TRP Operator (bull barrel). I've done my fair share of googling but still not set on one. I've spoken w/ BAC about my situation and have put his opinion into consideration. I want to know the opinions of the rest of the GTers out there. If any of you own both or has handled both TRP and TRP Operator, please let me know pros and cons to both handguns. Or if any of you have experience w/ a 1911 in both standard and bull barrel, please let me know pros and cons to both.

2. knedrgr

knedrgr

I have both types styles, and I like both. If I was to get a TRP, I would go with standard. A full size just looks better with a standard bushing barrel. Plus, it's easier to get a new bushing and get it to tighten up the slide and barrel. The TRP is a nice high end production gun, so things should be relatively tight.

3. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

In a 1911, accuracy comes from your bushing/barrel match. If you shoot a ton, there is nothing you can do with a bull barrel. A new bushing can be easily fit and off you go. That said, I do love my 4" Kimbers with bull barrels, but they only get some practice and the rest of the time they're carry guns.

4. bac1023

bac1023

Generally speaking, bull barrels are more accurate, as they have only one point of tolerance, while a bushing has two.

That said, I'd go with the standard TRP.

5. nolt

nolt DONT PANIC!

not trying to be a politician and sidestep the question but for most people (that dont already know what they want and are asking on the internet) the standard barrel TRP would be a better go, but more due to (the lack of) the rail than the barrel.

6. bac1023

bac1023

I was trying the leave the rail out of it, but its certainly a deal breaker for me.

On the other hand, I do love bull barrels. :hearts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. nolt

nolt DONT PANIC!

i do too bac!
    the only one i have, though, is on the full-rail TRP. :rofl: i dont care much for rails on 1911s either but i do like the full-cover look. i wish the rail on my TRP was smooth like my mono.

my only point to the OP was that, while i certainly respect looking at all the differences in two guns and considering your choice based on the whole of the gun... that the bushing barrel/bull barrel question would take a backseat to the rail/non-rail question in by far most people, and that this is not unreasonable. ie: theyre both accurate and reliable. furthermore if you shoot THAT MUCH then this aint gonna be your only 1911 anyways. :embarassed:

im jealous of that infinity btw.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  8. bac1023

bac1023

Nolt, I you're ever in the market for a custom 1911, I highly recommend the guys at Infinity. That gun may be the best shooting 1911 I own and extremely solid to boot. The 1.5-2lb Triglide trigger is to die for and certainly helps me get the most out of the gun's accuracy.

I also really like Infinity's ordering process. Just use the Gunbuilder to design anything you want and Brandon replies back in a short time with a quote.

Expensive? Absolutely, but I consider them a value in the custom 1911 market. :)

9. nolt

nolt DONT PANIC!

ive monkeyed with that gunbuilder for hours

10. bac1023

bac1023

:cool:

They recently improved the interface. In years past (when I ordered mine), it was a PITA to use.

11. MD357

MD357

The only real world differences will be how you strip your 1911 and some percieved shootability with the heavier bull barrel. Accuracy will be a wash, all things being the same.

If you plan on using your 1911 for home defense then get a rail. If you plan on carrying one or using it as a range toy then get the one without.

12. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8

While I like my bull barreled Kimber Pro, I much prefer the standard bushing setup with a G.I. guide rod.

13. dragon281tx

dragon281tx

Damnit bac i was hoping u wouldnt post any of ur infamous carpet pics in this thread. U make me wanna spend i little more money for an infinity. I remember seriously looking at their product a few yrs ago and my gun builder quote came out to $4000+. BTW is that 1.5-2lb triglide trigger available as an aftermarket trigger for non infinity 1911? Thats the same ballpark i want my trigger pull to be.

14. bac1023

bac1023

Sure, you can order their triggers.

http://sviguns.com/1101.php?indx=5

Whether or not, they do custom work on a supplied gun, I'm really not sure. :dunno:

You're right about the price. Its easy to get carried away with that Gunbuilder. Prices have also gone up a bit since a few years back, but their work is top notch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  15. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

While bull barrels can slightly lower slide velocity and felt recoil, I don't want one on a combat 1911. I want to be able to disassemble my carry gun with just my fingers. I have seen no difference in accuracy between the two systems. Les Baer 1911's are freaky accurate, and 99% use a bushing system.

It does make some sense on shorter barrels, by adding weight to the moving parts to slow things down and reduce stress on them. No point on a 5" 1911, in my opinion.

16. dragon281tx

dragon281tx

Appreciate the feedback guys. Leaning towards the standard barrel for sure. And bac, would the triglide trigger single stack drop in a TRP? Or will I need the experienced hands of a gunsmith to fit it in?

17. bac1023

bac1023

Most of the high end 1911s with bushings can't be broken down without a bushing wrench anyway. :tongueout:

18. knedrgr

knedrgr

Only for those that don't eat their Wheaties in the morning. :tongueout:

19. bac1023

bac1023

:rofl:

20. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

The properly built ones like my Yost can. :tongueout: