Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the Glendale AZ Cabela’s yesterday and saw what they call two tone Glock 19s and 22s ( I think they were $599). At first glance I thought it was a Glock frame with a LWD aftermarket slide or Robar coated. I inspected one and it was all Glock to include the slide. After the closer look, I noticed it had a very dull finish. I thought it was coated, but the salesman said it was a Glock manufactured stainless steel slide. Did he know what he was talking about? I’ve never heard of Glock making a stainless steel slides. Has anyone seen one of these? SS

:usaf:

·
20,407 Posts
He did not have any idea what he was talking about.

·
NRA Life Member
373 Posts
I've been to that very Cabela's, and I can tell you that's the last place you want to buy a Glock or most any other firearm. Their prices are absurd! They do have some beautiful hunting rifles in the Gun Library, but :holysheep: they're spendy! I've done a lot of business with Gun's Plus on Dysart near Grand in Surprise. Besides my liking to keep my $$$ local, they've never told me any tall tales like you heard at Cabela's.

Disclaimer: This is in not a compensated plug; I'm just a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
291 Posts
My guess is they were HC'ed or NP3'ed or something along those lines.The only two companies,I am aware of,that make SS slides are LW and Caspian.Glock does not make SS slides.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'd also question if those guns were truly new in box or not. Glock doesn't ship guns without a black slide on them.

·
Shellback
5,833 Posts
You need to go in and tell him that you just called Glock, and that they screwed up and forgot to coat them, and he has super rare mistakes, and that Glock told you if they find out who has them, they will recall them.....

Play with him a little.

And obviously, Glock doesn't make a SS slide. They are all Black.

·
Molon Labe
2,605 Posts
Quick question about Glock "tennifer"..

Is it really as corrosion and wear resistant as advertised, and as I've seen in the "torture tests" ? Or is it partly hype?

·
NRA Member
1,115 Posts
Tenifer is applied in a 500 degree C (932 degree F) nitrate bath to give the coated parts a skin hardness of 69 Rockwell Cone (RC). This is extremely hard, by comparison, a metal file's hardness is only 62 to 65 RC, and the hardness of an industrial diamond is 70 RC.
Glock's Tenifer coating penetrates the metal so that coated parts have a hardness of 55 to 60 RC at a depth of .05mm below the surface. From 20 to 30 percent deeper, the hardness is still 48 to 50 RC. Metal this hard is incredibly durable.

Technically, you could take a fine piece of sandpaper and remove all the black and accomplish a finish much like what the OP described. A dull stainless, without any ill effects (ie. rust).

ETA: I have soaked mine in sand and saltwater, and then left it for a week to see what would happen. The only part that corroded with any significance was the recoil spring.

·
Molon Labe
2,605 Posts
Thanks for the succinct explanation!

·
NRA Member
1,115 Posts
;) NP... in all fairness and honesty, I got that information by googling it many times in the past.

·
NRA Member
1,115 Posts
This is a serious question and I'm not trying to be smart. .02mm is not .05 inch. Which did you mean?

.02mm = 0.000787401574804 in

.05in = 1.2699999999986284 mm

-magiaaron

fixed it.... sorry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts