close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

stainless steel cookware recommendations

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Jaegergirl, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

i would like to get a "good" set of stainless steel, copper bottomed cookware. by "good" i mean i'd like something that is good quality and will last but i don't want to have to take out a loan (or sell my children) to purchase. i am not a gourmet chef so i don't need anything top of the line, but i also don't want to buy crap that will have to be thrown out in a year or two. i'd say i'd be willing to spend around $200 for a set.

i know absolutely nothing about stainless steel cookware and am looking for suggestions.

thanks in advance.

:)

2. K.C. Dia

K.C. Dia

You may have a hard time finding a copper bottom set for under $200.00. Any reason why you want copper bottom vs a set of cladded stainless steel over aluminum pans? Lots of choices there.

3. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

There is a similar thread below relating to "kitchen hardware", you might want to read.

As for Stainless Steel, I would recommend All Clad, but it is a bit expensive. I have some Emerilware (made aby All Clad) that I have been very happy with.

I wouldn't recommend a "set". Too many pieces you wouldn't use that much. Just pick out two or three pieces your cooking style requires, and spend good money on those.

Be sure and check out eBay, lots of deals in there.

4. Jaegergirl

no, there's no real reason i want copper bottom cookware. i just thought that was the "good" stuff (you'll have to excuse my ignorance :) ).

i just want something that will be durable, have even heating, and would like something that is non stick if possible. every time i'm at a pampered chef party, they rave about their executive and professional cookware and i'm always tempted to just splurge and get it but it's very expensive and i always wonder if it's overpriced.

i've always bought the cheap teflon sets from walmart/kmart etc. and i'd just like something nicer for a change.

5. Jaegergirl

shoot, i was going to do a search and didn't. i'll have to check out that thread. thanks.

and thanks for the recommendation about not buying a set. i just assumed the set would be the way to go but maybe it's not. :)

6. ajkahr

ajkahr

Best cookwear EVER.

Cast iron handles, riveted. I'm a hard-core cook and occasionally cater for large parties (150+).

The true test of a cook is sometimes thought to be the quality of their omelette. I can crank out some kickass omelettes with my Falk pans without one bit of egg sticking to a pan. You don't need non-stick cookware, you just need GOOD cookware.

These pans will last you a few lifetimes as well.

http://www.falkculinair.com/

7. ajkahr

ajkahr

My mother used to do pampered chef. No offense to those who like it, but it makes me vomit.

I've never seen a company so devoted to filling your kitchen with more JUNK.

I like living by Alton Brown's rule. If it performs only one function, get rid of it. I don't care how gadgety or nifty you think it is, GET RID OF IT.

The only think I kept that my mother used to sell is the baking stones. Nothing makes cookies like those.

Everything else is crap.

All-clad is over-hyped and over-priced. It's become a yuppies paradise. Their rivets are too large, unnecessary. And the handles are weird. I don't like that concave feel they have. Give me a good, solid, thick rod of cast iron I can grip well with a towel on my hand and I'm set.

Those slick polished stainless handles will slip on you. If you're into those new silicon pot holders, forget about getting a grip on the All-Clad handles if oil has spattered onto the handle, it will slip right out of your hand and onto you, your floor or your child running around your kitchen... NOT GOOD. Use a good terry towel and you've got a much better chance of holding onto that pan.

8. K.C. Dia

K.C. Dia

[All-clad is over-hyped and over-priced. It's become a yuppies paradise. Their rivets are too large, unnecessary. And the handles are weird. I don't like that concave feel they have. Give me a good, solid, thick rod of cast iron I can grip well with a towel on my hand and I'm set.

Those slick polished stainless handles will slip on you. If you're into those new silicon pot holders, forget about getting a grip on the All-Clad handles if oil has spattered onto the handle, it will slip right out of your hand and onto you, your floor or your child running around your kitchen... NOT GOOD. Use a good terry towel and you've got a much better chance of holding onto that pan. [/B][/QUOTE]

Everyone has their own opinion. I like the allclad handles because they stay cool and you usually don't have to use a potholder. It is also hard to toss food in a cast iron frypan, especially Lodge pans, they are just too heavy. They are good for retaining heat though.

9. ajkahr

ajkahr

Falks only have cast iron handles, not the entire pan. Please read the full post.

It's a good solid pan, not for the limp-wristed.

It's not as heavy as a cast iron pan.

10. Jaegergirl

i may not be able to make a mean omelette on my stove but when i'm camping, watch out!! we use a cast iron griddle over the fire and i have yet to find a better omelette elsewhere. ;) :)

those falk pans look really nice but i don't think i could get my husband to go for it. i mean, if i was a fabulous chef and cooking was my passion, i could probably convince him to splurge. but unfortunately that's not the case.

you all have been very helpful and i appreciate the replies. thanks.

11. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

I agree with the Pampered Chef Crap Pans comment...my wife bought a set half a dozen years ago and I'm gradually replacing them.

I recently got one of the Emeril ware 10" Stainless skillets. Its been a great pan to work with. You said you're looking for non-stick. I think you'll find that eventually you need some of each...particularly with the fry pans. The non stick doesnt brown very well but the Stainless does great.