Home > Glock Talk > GSSF > Stage variations

Stage variations

1. It's been a few years since I've shot a match, so I don't know if this has been going on for a while or is new...but what's up with the stage variations? Gssfonline still only shows the "standard" 3 stages, as well as paper-only variations for ranges where steel isn't available.

At the Orlando match this past weekend, I shot a 5-to-Glock unlike any I'd ever seen. When I asked the RO about it, he said there are variations now, and when a match is setup, they pick one variation.

I think it's cool that they're adding some variety. I was just surprised to see it. I'd even like to see some moving targets, but I suspect that (things like the Texas star) would raise the bar a bit too high and leave the newer shooters less pleased with their performances.

Maybe they could keep Amateur class simple, but add some more challenging targets to some of the other classes, particularly the master class ones. We know the masters can do ~2s plate runs...but how fast would they clear the Texas star? :)

2. Guess you have been waaaaaaay out of the loop. These have been in effect for a year. If you scroll down on the fist page of the GSSF Site you will see a hot link to them.

Here check'em out: http://www.gssfonline.com/GSSF_NEW_Courses.pdf :thumbsup:

3. GSSF still seems to desperately need a competent webmaster. Going to the site with firefox, I don't get that link, and much of the content I do see appears to be years old but still marked as new. Go there in IE, and it's got lots of data that I wasn't seeing before.

4. As both a long term GSSF RO and USPSA/IDPA competitor who has first hand experience with the equipment in question.

Much of the original GSSF program was borrowed from the "Bianchi Cup".

When GSSF started, one of the four "standard" stages was the Bianchi "Mover".

It had to be dropped because too few host clubs had the (expensive, sensitive, prone to breakage) Mover mechanism and most of those few that did have it were "single track" movers. Also, the thirty rounds the "Mover" called for on a single target becomes hard to score. Switching targets 1/2 way through each entry consumes too much time.

The matches got too big and the "Mover" became too big a bottleneck. So it was dropped as a standard GSSF match stage.

A "Star" mechanism would be interesting, BUT.

Of the three standard GSSF match stages, "Plates" takes a minimum of 24 rounds. "Five to Glock" takes 30. "Glock M" takes 27. To get a comparable "round count" with a stage set up around "Star"s, you would probably have to use 3 or 4 per stage setup. One for each "string" of fire. (Resetting one, or even two, "Stars" every one quarter, one third, or half way through every shooter's entry would cause a time bottleneck as bad or worse than the "Mover" was.)

Also, at most GSSF matches they set up three or four more or less identical setups of the "M" and "5-2-G" to get people through them in a hurry. To set up that many stages using "Stars" would require about 9 to 12 or more "Star" mechanisms and I doubt any host club would go to the expense of buying that many.

Also, GSSF is primarily intended for NEW shooters, who don't have ANY competition experience, and the "Star" would probably prove to be too much a challenge for them. It would be too frustrating to a new shooter.

Now, if one of you geniuses out there could come up with a "Star" mechanism where the thing spins in the irregular manner of a normal "Star" but the plates simply "fold back" when hit (and you DON'T have to retrieve them out of the dirt and mud!) and then all 5 (or more?) can be reset from the firing line by pulling on a rope like a plate rack, let us and GSSF know about it!

:supergrin:

5. Those are good points, and I agree from experience (the range where I practice has a star), the Texas star would take too long to shoot (for the newbies) and too long in general to reset to be a viable stage at GSSF. They are fun to shoot though :)

Since it works by changing the balance of the star as plates fall, I doubt a rope resettable Texas star is possible.

6. hmmm, with the plate folding back there would be no significant weight transfer, thus no spinning. So back to picking it out of the dirt. But that is an interesting challenge to build!:)

7. The only thing I can think of is to have a spring, from the hub of the star to each plate. The plate rides in a sort of track. The plate has a small hole through it and is held out at the end of the arm by a stud that goes through the hole. When the plate is struck, the plate comes off the stud and the spring pulls the plate back towards the hub.

That does not get you remote reset like a plate rack but it would give you close to the same spinning action, would reset by hand a lot faster, and you would not have to pick the plates out of the dirt and mud.

How about it, ye engineering gurus??!!

:supergrin: