Glock Talk banner

Stag Mod2 initial thoughts

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  TexasPOff 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I finally got around to really looking over my Stag Mod 2 today and got some pics of points of interest. First off, the fit between the upper and lower is the best I have eve seen on a production run AR. Stag says when you order a complete rifle from them they match the recieves, but holy cow. There is zero play and I have to use something to push the take down pin out. The upper and lower seams match perfectly, no gap no space whatsoever.
The finish on the whole rifle is perfect, I can not find a flaw or blem. Very uniform and professional looking. All the markings are stamped in and very ledgable. The finish on the buffer tube is even top notch. The lower has a standard trigger set, which breaks clean with very little creep and a short reset. It is heavy, standard AR stuff, but as good as my well worn 6920 trigger and extremely smooth. The buffer tube is Mil Spec, and has the castle nut staked properly in two places. The stakes aren't super heavy duty, but should keep eveything in it's place. It has the obligatory H buffer. The selector is very positive in it;s movent and positions.
The upper has white T marks along the top. Every roll pin is exactly even within it;s mounting point. Small thing, but to me it shows attention to detail. The 14.5 and plus package comes with an M16 BCG MP tested. The BCG has no machine marks on it at all, very well done and for a Phospate coated standard M16BCG moves very smoothly in the upper. The extractor has the updated extration setup witht he o ring etc. All the chrome is in the right places Carrier, firing pin, chamber etc. It has the M4 feedramps anf they are done prior to the lower being anodized and coated. The barrel is 14.5 1:7 chrome lined and MP tested. All marked on the upper front of the barrel. The barrel is finished with a pinned Phantom FH. The front sight block is "F" marked and looks to be dead on no cant. It is held on by the appropriate tape pins. Stag finishes the barrel under them sight base as well. I will be taking her out tommrrow and getting is BZO'ed and get the Micro set up. If she runs as well as she looks I will be very pleased. For a sub 1k carbine this one is very nice. I have always liked Stag (CMT) and this carbine just reminds me of why. I don't expect any issues at the range, but if any pop up I will report back. Now for some photos. I have it dressed in it's KISS configuration, Magpul furniture with Primary Arms Micro Dot on an American Defense QD riser. TXPO

See less See more
#4 ·
Congrats, sweet model 2, another cousin to my models 3 and 8 :)

#6 ·
It is actually the Mod 2 with the 14.5 SBR option. That option has all the same features as the plus package. Update on my range session today. It took a whopping 6 rounds to zero the iorns, one click up on the front, two clicks left on the rear, and 3 more to zero the red dot. As with all my new firearms, I took the rifle down to inspect it, but did not lubricate it. I ran one dry patch down the barrel to clearn any obstructions and went to the range. I ran it exactly like it came from the factory with no extra lube. I was shooting American Eagle 55 gr standard range stuff. 400 rounds went through her today with no issues whatsoever. It didn't take much to zero as mentioned before so the rest was for playing. Now she will get torn down inspected again and cleaned an lubricated properly. The groups were just about 1.5 to 2 inches across roughly. Not too bad for may aging eyes, and this was done at 50 yards. So far the Stag has performed flawlessly and if it keeps up at this rate will replace my 6920 for patrol duty. TXPO

#9 · (Edited)
Yeah Stags have always been a good value. They really stepped up with their plus and SBR options. True it is $100 more for the option but they still come in under what some of the others offer. I actually like the fact that Stag still offers their standard package as well. The well informed consumer that knows he will never need a mil spec rifle has the option to save a little money on their purchase. I give Stag credit for adapting to what some consumers want and offer the Mil spec option. I'm defiantly happy with mine. TXPO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.