Stag Arms?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by txgunguy, Oct 25, 2010.

1. txgunguy

txgunguy

I'm looking to purchase my first AR. I'm late to the game. What are the opinions on Stag Arms? Any good?

2. wheels41

wheels41

Stag Arms is good to go. I've not had one problem with any of mine.

3. BlackRifleSAM

BlackRifleSAM

I have a Stag Arms left handed model. I haven't had any problems with mine. Stag Arms isn't the highest grade AR-15 but I would buy another one without hesitation.

4. Jeremy_K

Jeremy_K

I have a Stag model 1 carbine and have no complaints.

5. glock22357

glock22357 Got Ammo???

You get what you pay for.

I have no experience with Stag, but people will add more comments on Stag real quick like. I have a S&W M&P15T and love it as a good, solid mid-tier AR rifle. For a few more bucks you could get a BCM (and spec it the way you want), maybe a Colt, etc.

Again, you get what you pay for.

6. djegators

djegators

glock22357 is right. Why buy a Hyundai for $6000 when you can buy an Acura for $8000?

7. Tucson_1

Tucson_1

I've had a Stag for a couple of years now and have put several thousand rounds through it without issue. Of the mid-tier rifles, Stag seems to have a solid reputation. I've asked instructors about their experience with Stag rifles that have come through their classes and they don't have anything bad to say. The general response was that nothing makes Stag stand out more than any other rifle when it comes to malfunction or breakage. Stag has had a solid reputation for being "best bang for the buck" for many years. It is a solid mid-tier rifle.

8. rkwrichard

rkwrichard

Stag makes a great rifle and their sister company make a lot of the replacement parts used by the military..

9. FatBoy

FatBoy Millennium Member

Stag seem to make a good AR for the money(I don't have one), but as prices have come down, you can get a Bravo for not too much more. Will you need the "extra" that goes into a Bravo, most likely not, but it is nice to have.

CDNN has had Colts in the $1k area for awhile too.

FB

10. Cheseldine

Cheseldine Texan

I can't comment on Stag, having no experience with them, but don't worry about being late to the game. It's the perfect time to buy, and prices have come down a lot.

11. txgunguy

txgunguy

Thanks for all the responses!

12. djegators

djegators

I have put together ARs for two of my buddies recently, and both have been top shelf, and even with goodies like mags, BUIS, buttstock pads, BAD levers and the like, both still came in under $1000. Both guys asked me before they committed to letting me design their setups asked me about brands like DPMS and others. Both guys are extremely pleased with their quality, reliable, ARs.

13. luv2brode

luv2brode

love it when people ask for opinions and ya get more of the "i've never had one" negative reports then anything.
    i own one zero malfunctions and goes thru steel cased stuff wonderfully, got 725 including the holo sight
    i only got 650 in the others, del-ton, no problems from them either, just fyi

14. mixflip

mixflip

(sorry for the long post) I own a Stag and I did alot of homework before I bought it. Here are some important points if you are looking into a Stag. Mine runs flawlessly but then again I am not a hard core shooter. Here are the facts I found on Stag.

Its a mid tier AR. Not top tier like BCM, Spikes, Noveske, Sabre Defense, LMT, LWRC, KAC, ect ect. This means it will not be as close to mil-spec as the top tier guns and also slightly less expensive. The question is...do you "need" top tier for what you plan to do with it? If you are a hard core shooter or an operator outfitting yourself for combat overseas or you just want the very best...then pass on a Stag and get top tier. With the AR market leveling off now, you can get a BCM or Spikes for $1000 which isnt much more than a $700 Stag.

Stag is owned by Mark Malkowski. He is the son of Ted Malkowski the owner of Continental Machine & Tool (CMT) which has been making M16/AR15 parts for the military and civilian market since the Vietnam war. Solid company with a solid history. I think Stag even made the initial M&P15's for S&W before S&W got going full speed on them?

Stag offers a lifetime warranty. Nuff said on that really. If you are going to be a mid tier gun maker you better have a killer warranty, and they do.

Lots of LE agencies use Stag rifles for patrol duty and they serve them well from all I have read so far? That being said they probably went with Stag for their decent price and decent quality. Plus average street cops dont shoot their guns as hard as most folks think. Good balance of price and quality as I said.

Stag uses 4140 chromoly steel barrels, not 4150 chromoly vanadium steel barrels. Do you need a vanadium steel barrel? If you own a select fire lower then yes since vanadium is what fights heat in a mil-spec burst fire use barrel. You cant pull your semi auto trigger fast enough to melt a 4140 steel barrel. Its nice to have but not NEEDED.

Stag does not come with M4 feed ramps. Do you need them? If you shoot burst or full auto...then yes. Rifle feed ramps work perfect with semi auto rifles. Full auto/burst M4 rifles cycled their bolts so dang fast that they experienced feed issues so the engineers added M4 feed ramps to help with fast cycling M4 bcg's. Do you need them? No. Yeah I still want them but its no big deal if you know what you are missing. (or not mising)

Stag batch tests thier barrels, BCG's and bolts. Individual high pressure testing and magnetic particle inspecting each part is "expensive" on large scale productions. Since Stag knows its market (average joes and cops) they batch test as a cost savings and back it up with a lifetime warranty. This might be a deal breaker for the hard core shooter and I dont blame them at all. If it becomes an issue you can always swap in a mil-spec HPT/MPI bolt and BCG for a few bucks later down the road? Or you can just pass on Stag from the beginning and buy a BCM or Spikes ect.

So as you can see Stag is a good company with its fair share of pro's & con's. It all depends on what your realistic wants and needs are. I personally went with Stag for their gas piston model 8 AR15. If I went with a d.i. I'd probably go with a BCM today.

Hope this helped...Good luck...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  15. DD26

DD26 Anti-Anti

My first AR was a Stag. The only reason I got rid of the upper was because I got into a "I need a middy!!!" mood. I had zero problems with it, and the guy who bought it from me reported the same.

I still have the lower and it's still being used.

It's "Continental Machine & Tool".

16. jdodd

jdodd

Why I chose stag as my first AR…

I chose Stag for a variety of reasons including but not exclusive to:

-Local Reputation. They are made here in CT and a lot of shooters use and love them.

-Quality / Price. They are very nice rifles (although not top tier) they are the upper-middle class of rifles. Not quite rich, but close enough to have a comfortable life!

-AWB, here in CT we have our own version of the AWB still in place. This takes out A LOT of rifles out of the running. Only option then is having them modified to be CT compliant and that added so much to the price that I was no longer interested.

-This was my first AR, I wouldn’t go out and buy a Ferrari to learn how to drive stick.

Something to note…

I found after giving my rifle a detail strip that a lot of the reference material I found comparing all the AR brands was wrong. A few things that come to mind are on the BCG such as the staking method. Stag at least on my rifle did a “proper” staking and also the extractor insert was black (as is recommended) not the expected blue. Various things like that made me questions what else was wrong on “the chart”.

I need to contact the shop I bought it from to ask if they modified the rifle before I bought it, it was new but it’s a custom shop. If not then I will be contacting the author of
    ”the chart” and sending them some pictures as I feel it might need to be updated to reflect current designs.

Any questions just let me know,

-J

17. txgunguy

txgunguy

Mixflip, thanks for the info. That answered almost all of my questions. I was wondering the purpose of M4 feed ramps. Yes a top-tier AR would be nice, but the difference between 700$ and 1000$ is basically a case of ammo. And for what I will be doing, the top-tier is not needed.

Jdodd, thanks for that info as well. I have wondered myself how accurate that chart is.

Thanks again everyone.

18. huskerbuttons

huskerbuttons

I have a Stag 2HT. I have over 2000 rounds thru it with no problems. Get some PMags and you're good to go. You won't be dissappointed if you buy it.

19. mixflip

mixflip

Lol, thanks for the correction. I went back and fixed it. See what happens when you go shopping for a centennial hammer S&W ha ha and stay up late on forums...

20. Jeremy_K

Jeremy_K

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010