Stable Blu-Ray Wi-fi Connectivity Help Needed

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LoadToadBoss, Jan 8, 2010.

1. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

Posted in Tech Talk as well. I figured GNG would have more viewer than TT gets.

I need help maintaining a stable wireless connection between my router and my Blu-ray player (Samsung P3600). When I first set up the system at Christmas, there was a nice strong and stable connection between my wireless router and the player. After a couple weeks, the connection became "iffy" often dropping in the middle of watching a streaming Netflix movie. I went to Best Buy and they said I needed a better wireless router, so I replaced my Belkin Wireless G (802.11g) with a new Netgear Wireless-N 300 (WNR2000) they recommended. No joy. The signal is still unstable. The distance between the router and the Blu-ray player is about 30 feet an no walls. Other computers at further distances (and behind walls) report a strong and reliable signal.

Bottom line, I would like to have a stable, reliable signal without having to run a Cat 5 cable from the router to the player. Any suggestions? I'm limited on the placement of the router due to DSL coming into only one room.

2. kpuscg04

kpuscg04 ACTA NON VERBA

Do you have wireless speakers as part of your home entertainment system?

3. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

No. Only the router is wireless.

4. Jon91N/A

Jon91N/A

Do other computers using the wireless have the same streaming issues?

5. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

All other computers report a very strong signal. Only the Blu-ray reports no access point and it's closer than other computers and no walls at that.

I called Samsung. They think it might be a faulty LAN adapter that plugs into the Blu-ray player's USB port on the back. They are sending a new one.

6. kpuscg04

kpuscg04 ACTA NON VERBA

That sounds like it might be it. At first I thought you might have interference from another wireless signal (I personally know that Samsung wireless speakers interfere with with Wireless G signals).

The only other thing I can think of is your signal might be getting blocked by either emissions from you television or other electronics or whatever sort of cabinet your blu-ray player is in.

7. Hyksos

Hyksos

Depending how close you live to others or how many networks are in your range it could be a channel issue. All routers are set to run on a default channel, channel 6 I think, its a measure of Hz the signals operate on, someone else router anywhere around you could be causing such a problem. You can change the channel in the router configuration.

If, however, thats not an issue then it may be the unit itself?