St. Paul MN now requires landlords to provide voter registration to tenants

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TBO, Aug 12, 2018.

1. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    spork, ObiJuan and FullClip like this.
  2. OGW

OGW SAF

FullClip and TBO like this.

3. cbetts1

cbetts1

Any law for them to verify citizenship or legal residency prior to renting? Of course not.

B C, Glockworks, Bus007 and 4 others like this.
  4. Random

Random Banned

I love these thread titles. They're almost always misleading or an outright lie.
    Yeah, there are a bunch of rights landlords are obligated to make you aware of when you sign a lease. In Sept 2015 their city council said "Voting is a pretty important right. People moving here should be made aware of our voter registration procedures. Add these 2 sheets to your" new tenant" packet or provide them with the internet link so everybody knows they at least have access to the information."

By Mar 2016 it was the law.

5. FredSamp

FredSamp

What's wrong with bringing up old news when it can stir up a bunch of anger by people who don't know any better?

Jonesee likes this.
  6. NDcent

NDcent Socially Inept

I take it this is a law pertaining to democratic tenants only? I mean, they must be the only voters too stupid to know how to vote by the time they come of age. :dunno:

7. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

Why the hell is it incumbent on a renter to promote civic participation?

Are Real Estate Agents also hamstrung with this or just people who rent apartments? This is just targeted liberal BS legislation from a municipal government run amok.

Minnesota, is the new California, New York, Oregon and Massachusetts. I don’t understand how folks in the mid-West of this country can fall victim to this kind of liberal governance. I can only assume that it is due to the influence of so many Muslim refugees who’s presence was forced and not welcomed.

I feel for the native folks who now appear to be sadly outnumbered.

Robert Cohen and TBO like this.
  8. Jonesee

Jonesee

As a landlord, who really cares? There was nothing stopping my tenants from using the address of the rental property and a copy of the lease from registering to vote anyway.

As far as another doc at lease signing, another required doc is nothing. I already have to provide a stack of disclosure docs already. Just throw another in the packet.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  9. ObiJuan

ObiJuan

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    TBO and FullClip like this.
  10. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Most likely some law already on the books making it illegal to even ask those questions. It would be hateful, racist and xenophobic dontcha' know.

sombunya, TBO, cbetts1 and 1 other person like this.
  11. ObiJuan

ObiJuan

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    TBO and FullClip like this.
  12. Random

Random Banned

Certain it doesn't and I wish it did.
    I'm certain most of us here have run across people that aren't aware of some of their freedoms.
    Open carry's been legal in Louisiana for years. Don't need proof of sale/ownership when you're carrying and you don't need it to be 'registered'.
    I run across people, old reasonably smart ones, that don't know that. I've had a police officer ask me if my gun was registered once.
    I'm all for our rights to be broadcast, displayed, listed, and explained to us in a clear plain-speak at any and every opportunity. New to my city or state, I'd love for you to know right off the bat "Hey man, don't know if you're considering owning a gun while you're here but this is what you can and can't do."
    Same thing for voting. I don't throw that through a filter and say "Well, if they really wanted to know they'd search it out themselves."
    Some states voter registration is done when you apply for your drivers license. Some states it's a separate process.
    Unless you had another agenda who wouldn't want everyone to know their rights?

pgg00 likes this.
  13. FredSamp

FredSamp

Not only are the Democrats rampantly perpetrating voter fraud all across the country, they're also guilty of encouraging people to vote regardless of their political affiliation.

What next, knocking people off the rolls based on their name?

(Maybe not the best example. That was a Republican thing. Never mind.)

14. DonD

DonD

Or people like you who are absurdly naive, trying to live in a fairy tale world. Don

sombunya likes this.
  15. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

exactly...I saw this article last weekend and thought the EXACT same thing. Actually, since they know a big % of renters vote democrat in the cities, they want as many democrats registered as possible. I really home this one gets challenged in court. this has nothing to do with renting. it's like asking liquor stores to provide voter registration to anyone who buys malt liquor. it's targeting a specific group which affects elections. Hoe about this, the gov provides voter registration to everyone? Oh wait, they already do that.

cbetts1 likes this.
  16. VCoupe376ci

VCoupe376ci

You are missing the obvious implication here or are just choosing to ignore it. Do tell why it should be a landlord's responsibility to instruct renters how to register to vote? What does voting have anything to do with renting someone a place to live? Are there also requirements to tell them how to change their drivers license and auto registration? Are landlords legally obligated to inform new tenants where the nearest grocery store and post office are?

RenoF250 likes this.
  17. VCoupe376ci

VCoupe376ci

Are you implying Democrats are voter saints who play by the rules? :laughabove:

18. FredSamp

FredSamp

You mean I was duped into believing that this happened back in March of 2016?
    When did it REALLY happen?
    Please educate me, oh wise one.

cbetts1 likes this.
  19. FredSamp

FredSamp

That would be silly.
    Just as silly as implying that Republicans are voter saints who play by the rules...

20. RenoF250

RenoF250

Pioneer Press and TheHill both thought it was relevant enough to report it today. I cannot read the PP article but I do not see anything indicating the day it passed in the hill article.

How does the date it passed changed the story? What is misleading?

TBO likes this.