Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now Folks I Know There Was A Match This Weekend. Don't Be Bashfull. Post Your Stories Here. ---------------- Do It ------------- NOW.:wavey:

Don

·
Registered
787 Posts
Really, we sure would like to hear all about the shoot.

Pharaoh:wow:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I shot my first match today at Oakdale, was lucky to run into Butch, his son and Wig19 just as I got into the parking lot so I was shepherded around by them this afternoon. I was gun #162 at about 11:30 this morning, it looked like we showed up just as the morning rush was ending, empty stations and never more than 3 or 4 minutes to shoot. I had fun and learned quite a bit just by watching Butch and Chris shoot even though I shot pretty horribly myself. I came to the conclusion that I need a G17 after watching Butch put up a second plate run under 3 seconds. All in all I'm glad I went and it was a great way to start my vacation.

·
Registered
13,845 Posts
EAJ i got talked into the 9mm band wagon too and they never worked for me. i discovered this after buying a g17, g17L, and g26. i'm not near as good as butch or even a lot of people that know butch but i've made a few sub 3 second runs on the plate rack with a g22. if what you have is working for you i'd stick with it and try to refine your skills. now if you're just looking for a way to justify another gun then by all means go for it and i for one would say there's nothing wrong with adding another gun to your collection.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Adding another gun is defineatly part of it. The two Glocks I have now are great except for the ammo cost, if I get a 17 I can shoot more for the same price which should help, yesterday was the first time I'd shot in a little over a month. All in all I shot about 155, if I'd shot the 31 instead of the 21 I could have brought it down about 20 but I didn't have any 357Sig ammo or at least one enough to shoot the match with.

·
RetiredDinosaur
11,589 Posts
Yup, was a good day. The morning rush was over, very little waiting to shoot, got EAJ (and myself :) into the new shooter drawing, and got to meet GlockTalker 'Gonad'!

The match went smoothly and the Ro's did a great job....and even better, the plate racks were moved to a different range so we didn't have to shoot up at them!

Unfortunately I dropped five 'C's on the 5 to Glock, which ruined a perfectly nice score for Master Stock.

Would have liked to stick around to shoot bulls some more, but I had a class reunion to get to down in Houston.

Here's EAJ knocking down plates with his G21:

And here's Dwight trying to bribe the RO to add some time to my plate runs:

;)

:patriot:

·
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Butch; Did Dwight have his "Black Socks" on this time. :rofl:

Don

·
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heavens no!

I'm in charge of fashion statments at the Minnesota match!

;)

Good Man. We have to keep a watch on these "Youngins" sometimes.:supergrin:

Don

·
Registered
123 Posts
We arrived fairly late in the day Saturday. Didn't really have to wait in any lines. I shot my best times in both Am Civ and Maj Sub. But I was most satisfied with my performance in Maj Sub. I just know that I could have done even better with the G17, and I know what the issue is.

I have a quick adrenal system and it kind of hits me when I'm doing something I really like to do. So I step up to the firing line all excited about finally getting to up there to shoot and I feel the big rush: thumping heart, twitchy muscles, and fast breathing. It isn't the first time it's happened. I've even shot well that way, amazingly. But I remember one time in Kentucky that the range master said in a sort of soothing voice, "do you want to take a few breaths now and calm down?" This time I know it wasn't the greatest thing for my fine motor coordination. I could see it on the Five to Glock, where I did a few more deltas than in practice.

But I always seemed to calm down really well for my second gun, and I was settled by the time we got to the plates. Happy with that.

My husband prompts me to sign up for Major Sub.(as if I need prompting) I suspect his motives are to increase odds of a prize for himself. I had my own motives, though. I did my best to give him some competition. Still, he was fifteen seconds faster. But I was happy with my time. I don't suppose they will be handing anything out for a time of ninety seconds, but that was a good time for me.

·
RetiredDinosaur
11,589 Posts
But I was happy with my time. I don't suppose they will be handing anything out for a time of ninety seconds, but that was a good time for me.
Did the rest of the crew come along? How did they do?

Sorry I didn't hang around.....I was only a half hour late for my reunion...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Did the rest of the crew come along? How did they do?

Sorry I didn't hang around.....I was only a half hour late for my reunion...

My girls couldn't come, as they are detasseling. And Abby is traveling. But we did bring our new shooter, our niece. She was pretty calm and enjoyed the match. Sometimes she kind of swept the trigger a bit rough, but she's new. At the plates we saw significant improvement. She shot competition and Am Civ., so she had plenty of strings. The first four were quite slow with some plates left. But some light came on and she started lining up the sights better. The last four strings were way faster, even as fast as nine seconds for one string. She got all the plates down, and in fact on three strings she shot six plates with six rounds. She was happy with that experience.

·
RetiredDinosaur
11,589 Posts
She got all the plates down, and in fact on three strings she shot six plates with six rounds. She was happy with that experience.
Tell her I said congrats! Wish I could have stayed and watched her shoot!

Is she gonna keep shooting? Is she hooked? :)

·
Road Warrior
91 Posts
I went this morning (Sun) and there was no wait at all starting at 900. I was done by 1030! Was so nice to see they moved the plate rack this year! It was really akward how they had it the last couple years. Like Butch said, you feel like you are shooting up at the plates. The RO'S on the Glock M never told my group that the center steel was a ringer and not a knock down. So when I went I hit the steel, kept going, got nervous when I didn't see the steel fall and came back to it at the end and hammered it two more times until my gun was empty. Thank god he was able to find the split time and they got the right score. When my friend was shooting, the new RO held the timer so close to his head, he kept hitting him in the head with the timer while he shot! I told him to ask for a reshoot, but he didn't want to make waves. Was a good time. Had two runs of 3.17 on the plates so I was happy.

Now it's already over for the year............:faint:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yup, was a good day. The morning rush was over, very little waiting to shoot, got EAJ (and myself :) into the new shooter drawing, and got to meet GlockTalker 'Gonad'!

The match went smoothly and the Ro's did a great job....and even better, the plate racks were moved to a different range so we didn't have to shoot up at them!

Unfortunately I dropped five 'C's on the 5 to Glock, which ruined a perfectly nice score for Master Stock.

Would have liked to stick around to shoot bulls some more, but I had a class reunion to get to down in Houston.

;)

Hmmmmm?? Butch
Is Dwight trying to take Grady's white legs title away from him? He's in the runnings.:rofl:

Can you say... SUNBLOCK!!:wow:

·
Light left on
3,786 Posts

;)
Indeed, weather was beautiful. Got there early, stayed most of day between Dwight & MISTER Parker & Co being there early, then Butch arriving later, and we all ended up together at the plates. I tried to help Dwight by tossing some sub-standard pressure pieces of tree bark at the plates if he missed one the first time by, but a person really needs a piece of +P+ Sequoia to knock down the steel. MUCH improved plate location - thank you OGC!!!
(although I understand from someone that the left-side rack went down on Sunday at some point and they were forced to shoot the right-side whose plates didn't seem to fall as well when struck solidly)

Thanks again to Dwight's Dad for his gracious hospitality post-match, which beat the Machine Shed hands-down! :thumbsup:

Was good to see Tim again and meet his lovely daughter, Randy & Dean, meet EAJ, as well as also get my own new shooter embarked on his GSSF journey. (and of course sign the sheet) ;) Didn't shoot my best or worst; had a very good time.

(and top up the vehicle with MN gas that is $.27 less a gallon. Remember WI is now only 11th worst, so it's called 'Tax Heck')
:rofl:

Probably no more matches (but I suspect some needed practice) until embarking on Lewis & Glock Expedtion IV. Thanks to Oakdale Gun Club, whose facility is one to be proud of as well as Scott and all the GSSF staff.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Good buddy and I went for our first match. Neither of us had ever seen the courses let alone run them. Top it off we hadn't practiced in about a month as our shooting range got whacked by a tornado.

First off, everybody we met was friendly and extremely helpful. All the range officers were great. The facility is very nice and the weather was perfect. The Glock personnel were great fun.

I shot Civ and Comp with my 19. First run was awful as I learned the (apparently) age old lesson of slower hits are way better than faster misses.

We arrived around 0900 Saturday and were done by 1200h. Thought I was settled down and doing pretty good running a six for six plate string in 6.14 or so....until I see the 3 second runs above!!!:faint: Total for comp was 118. Don't even ask about my civ score. The light didn't come on until I was home looking at the score sheets. I can see where I've got lots to learn. As my buddy said, "We were tadpoles...out of water!"

Great time and will have to try it again....fingers are crossed for the raffles and new shooter awards...cause clearly I'm not shooting anywhere near the marks for top 10.

·
Light left on
3,786 Posts
Good buddy and I went for our first match. Neither of us had ever seen the courses let alone run them. Top it off we hadn't practiced in about a month as our shooting range got whacked by a tornado.

First off, everybody we met was friendly and extremely helpful. All the range officers were great. The facility is very nice and the weather was perfect. The Glock personnel were great fun.

I shot Civ and Comp with my 19. First run was awful as I learned the (apparently) age old lesson of slower hits are way better than faster misses.

We arrived around 0900 Saturday and were done by 1200h. Thought I was settled down and doing pretty good running a six for six plate string in 6.14 or so....until I see the 3 second runs above!!!:faint: Total for comp was 118. Don't even ask about my civ score. The light didn't come on until I was home looking at the score sheets. I can see where I've got lots to learn. As my buddy said, "We were tadpoles...out of water!"

Great time and will have to try it again....fingers are crossed for the raffles and new shooter awards...cause clearly I'm not shooting anywhere near the marks for top 10.
Glad you had a good time, that's first priority. :)
Your first time Comp Div of 118 is nothing to be ashamed of at all; don't worry about the lightning runs from Master Class shooters that are talked about above - you're not shooting against them anyway. (FYI: Many people shoot the Comp Div first, as a warm-up or adrenaline dump for their Am Civ runs - try flip-flopping the order next time.)

One important thing you already know; you can't miss fast enough to win. You did very well and had fun; mission accomplished. :thumbsup:
Check out the schedule for other GSSF outdoor matches that may be within your travelling distance.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks Wig19! Funny thing...the RO would ask which div I wanted to shoot first. About the third time I told him "I can't tell the difference..". Like I said, the light went on later that night, so what you're saying does make good sense. Thanks for the tips. Already been looking at close matches...looks like Wisconsin may be a possibility.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts