close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

St. Paul Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Jul 27, 2002.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Post your reflections here.

2. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Well, it was HOT, and HUMID, and fun enough that I'm going back again today. I shot Stockmeister yesterday and did improve over last years score :) maybe I'll shoot unlimited master for the heck of it (and the practice).

3. DannyR

Butch,

That's the spirit.:cool:

4. Rastus

Rastus

Like Butch said, very hot & humid. Had a lot of fun and think I did better than last year. It's still more challenging than it looks.

I saw many good shooters and one of them ahead of me took 6 plates in 3.08 seconds if I remember correctly. I find this type of behavior intimidating.

5. Jakk

Jakk Millennium Member

That might have been me. If you remember though, I trashed my next run due to two "dud" rounds. This was my "what not to do" GSSF match. I had been loading ammo the night before I drove up to the match. I had run out of small pistol primers for my .40, so I switched to small rifle primers. I use rifle primers exclusively for my IPSC guns, so I thought nothing of using them in the Glock.

Apparently the primer cups are hard enough that the Glock won't always make them go bang. Not a good thing. The rest of that ammo is going to be for practice only. I think I had about ten misfires while shooting in four divisions. (about a 2.5% failure rate. Not good)

In spite of all that, I managed to shoot a personal best time. It was still a very fun match. Hopefully, I'll be able to make the Hallsville match this year.

6. Rastus

Rastus

Jakk, I don't remember the face, only the number. Anyway, congratulations on your personal best.

7. Spentshell

Spentshell

Wow, I think I may have doubled my score from last year!;f It was fun and the weather was great! Picked up some 17 round mags! :cool: Now its time to make ready for GREELEY!

8. ripplingh2o

ripplingh2o

This was my first GSSF match; been waiting for it for the past 6 months. All the Oakdale volunteers were absolutely GREAT, the courses of fire were challenging to say the least, weather was "sticky hot" and all in all it was a wonderful weekend. I must also commend the Glock Armorer...I'll bet he cleaned over 200 handguns and answered 5-times the questions...what a PERSONABLE PROFESSIONAL. But, I must admit, I was alittle disappointed at the noticable lack of "GSSF commraderie". Folks I'd pass by on the trails leading to the different stages would just pass by without saying a word. I know, if I would have greeted them they would have responded in kind. I guess I may have been expecting too much. I'll certainly be back again next year. Thanks Oakdale and the GSSF for making this all possible.

9. Spentshell

Spentshell

10. Hank Bodmer

Hank Bodmer

I was there also and at first I always smiled and said hello to the people I met between stages but then a guy from Minnesota told me that smiles are one of the many items that are taxed in Minnesota. So its more of a Minnesota problem than a Glock problem. Now that I'm back in North Dakota I can smile without being taxed.;)

11. goneglocken

goneglocken

I also shot on sat.shot stockmeister for a warmup,then shot unlimited with some good plate times 3.09-3.06-3.65 and conservative 3.90.Should end up aroung 65 secs for entire match with penalties,can't remember my past scores as I haven't attended a GSSF match for awhile.How does my total compare to other unlim's? Jeff

12. ripplingh2o

ripplingh2o

:) Hi Spentshell!!!! Thanks for the greeting. Gee, I wonder if GSSF has matches in North Dakota? :)

13. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Great, fun match; my first. Hot as Hades (us northerners don't hold up too well in high humidity), but at least there was shade at all the bays.

Now, my only complaint. They had three 5-to-Glock target set-ups, and at about 10:00 AM Sunday, two of the three timers went kaput. One timer, three target arrays makes for a lot of non-productive waiting in extreme heat. That's why I did poorly. Yeah, THAT'S THE TICKET!!! Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Anyone got an old timer they could donate to GGSF for backup duty?

I DON'T want to end on a sour note. I had a GREAT time; can't wait to do it again!!!

14. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Hah! On the way to the match Saturday morning, I stopped at a gas station and got a new nine volt battery for my Peltor muffs. Can you guess where that battery is now? Yup, it's in one of those timers...

And Robb! I'm sure I said Hi to ya! I was the guy wearing the wet, blue T shirt and carrying a black gun bag with 'GLOCK' on it... :) (and Sunday I was wearing a white hat with a B17 bomber on it)

15. DP177

DP177

I had a great time!!! I shot in the competition and AmLE categories on Saturday. My first time shooting in the comp class and I was really just using it as a warm up for AmLE. I wish I could have taken the best from each and put them together for one really good run (something about rules, go figure). I think I had my personal best string of four plates in a match on my comp plate run. I had one that was 2 something and the RO said it was their first 2 second run. I didn't get too proud though...I knew Butch was waiting on deck behind me. He cleaned up on his runs and blew my time out of the water.;h
    The best part was that my dad shot with me on Saturday for his first GSSF Match. We went back on Sunday and watched my brother and sister-in-law shoot too. I must say that things seemed to run a lot smoother on Sunday. They got off to a slow start on Saturday but by the afternoon things were going good and Sunday seemed real good. Thank you to all the RO's. Now comes the hard part...waiting for the results!!

16. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

I agree it was going very smoothly on Sunday, about noonish when I went through. Good job, ROs and organizers!!!

Dang, Butch, I wish I'd known all they needed was some batteries; I even had some in the truck! When they told me the timers had "died", I assumed they were really DEAD (or seriously malfunctioning), not just short of juice. Oh well...

Oakdale has a nice little outdoor range complex, too. Quite surprising to me, considering how close to a large population center it is.

17. MikeM

MikeM Millennium Member

Just wondering, did anyone connect? I only did with one, but I knew him when he was much younger! :)

18. Jeff

Jeff Millennium Member

This was my second year and it was just as much fun as last time. Though I blew my chances of repeating a top 15 finish in A-class after I managed to actually miss each of the farther D-1 targets once each on the Glock-M stage. Oh well, I'll just use the two "mikes" as motivation to do better next year.

Everything ran very smoothly and the RO's were all very friendly, helpful, and humorous (especially when they saw how dissapointed I was in my two misses :) ). Wait times for each stage were very short or non-existant. I dragged my dad along again this year (he wasn't sure he wanted to try it again after his performance last year) and we walked right up to the Five to Glock stage as there were absolutely no shooters there. We waited a short time to do the Glock M stage and then had a "medium" wait for the plates. However, the waits would have been shorter had all of us not had to sit around while one competitor shot at leat 4 different guns. Good for him, but a lot of the people waiting behind him thought he had one of every model Glock makes! I heard one guy ask him "What Glock DON'T you have?"

The armorer was the same guy from last year, and he's very good. He never makes you feel like you're wasting his time even when there's a long line of people waiting for him to give their guns the "once over."

Overall, kudos to the Oakdale Gun Club and the GSSF for another year of fun. I'm already eagerly anticipating next years match.

19. DannyR

Jeff,

I've fired warning shots at D-1's myself, so I know how you feel.

20. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I seem to recall in rules it said you only shoot TWO guns and then wait until your name called again if their is a line? Of course if he is a RO or worker he jumps the line.
    Forgot to add I didn't make it as I was up in Grand Forks. :( Was looking forward to it for months. :(