close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SSN on GSSF Event Registration

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by mleeber, May 10, 2004.

1. mleeber

mleeber

Hey guys, I have shot several GSSF matches and never really thought twice about putting my social on the registration form but now that I am about to use the electronic form I am a little nervous. My neighbor had his identity stolen and what a nightmare he had to go through. Is this a mandatory field? It is my thought that if they have my name and GSSF number they can look up the SSN in their system if they really need my ssn since it was on the original application form. What do y'all think???

Thanks!
    Mark

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Is it mandatory? Only if you win something. Since they have mine I stopped putting it on every match entry. IF they have it in their files they should be able to look it up. I'm not real keen about sending my numbers through the Internet either. :)

3. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

Without knowing what kind of security GSSF has I wouldn't put my numbers on anything going over the internet.

We see more and more ID thefts at work and the people go through H**L to try and clear things up. Usually at great expense and time.

4. BoomerG20

BoomerG20

I registered last week for Waldorf and did not include my ssn on the online reg form and had no problems.
    The page is not secure as far as I know, it does not have "HTTPS" in the first part of the URL address, and my web browser does not have a padlock in the corner which shows a secure page. Better cautious than lucky... ask at the match if the info is nedeed and update it there.
    Boomerg20

5. Broadside

Broadside

I registered for Richmond using the on-line form and did not have any problem. I did not include my SSN. I figure if I ever actually win anything, I can just print off a W-9 from the IRS Web site and fax it to GSSF.

6. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

You should really avoid putting your name, address, DOB & SSN on anything that is not secure. That is all one needs to steal your identity and start getting credit cards in your name.