SRP's for SPP's

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Collo Rosso, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

I thought I'd have to go through this stretch of media induced panic down to "only" 6K SPP's. Rummaging around my reloading shelves I discovered 4K Winchester SPP's and 4K SRP's I'd forgot I had. And it got me thinking.
    The last "shortage", the subject of substituting SRP's for SPP's came up. I don't remember if it was here or another forum, but search turns up nothing. I'm bored and thought this would make good conversation.

DubfromGA likes this.
  2. Ricky baby

Ricky baby

if your firing pin is extended and your firing pin spring is not to light should be okay. Drop your charge (if hot) 10% and test.

Collo Rosso likes this.

3. Rick James45

Rick James45

For my game guns i run them pretty much interchangeable. I also have ran and will run Remington 6 1/2. At one time they were so cheap. My gamer loads are not even close to max. I see more variance between brands. For me CCI SPP run a tad hotter than Winchester. I also will run SPM in a pinch, but a do look at chrono data a bit more.

note: i use stock striker and springs. If something is lightened it is elsewhere. I need 100% ignition even in my gamer stuff. Less is unacceptable.

Collo Rosso and George Kaplan like this.
  4. jmorris

jmorris

And I thought it was going to be an “I cleared the shelves” story.

I use SRP in some of my pistol loads, all of my major 9 loads. Nothing special except work up and if you have reduced the ability of a pistol to impact the primer, you might have issues.

5. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

No big deal using SRP instead of SPP, unless you have a lightweight spring. They are a bit harder, thats all. But not the other way around...

6. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

I've burned up SR primers in handgun ammo. No issues. I don't have any guns that need soft cups.

Collo Rosso likes this.
  7. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Is there an inherent advantage to SRP's for major?

8. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

Well this is a timely thread. I have a Bond Arms 45/410 (3 1/2” bbl)derringer and would like to shoot light 45 colt loads through it but there's a substantial amount (1/2”) of space between the end of a 45 case and where the rifling begins. I have some 454 Casull cases i’ve picked up at the range and i’d like to use them for light 45 colt loads and was wondering if the Casull cases require a rifle primer for proper fit/seating depth or would a spp work as well. I’d appreciate any advice on whether or not this is feasible.

9. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

Cup strength, I would guess.

fredj338 likes this.
  10. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

You mean for an open gun? I've never heard of people doing that, but it's not my area. I think CCI 500's are pretty popular with that crowd.

11. fredj338

fredj338

SRP are designed for 60k psi so should have slightly harder cups. They will run like a sp mag in intensity or brisance.

Rusty Gun likes this.
  12. Benchrst

Benchrst Ban Hamster

Never tried it, guys at Enos suggest that for anything under Major the harder cup could lead to blow-by and face erosion.

Someone posted some pics, should be easy to find.

13. Ricky baby

Ricky baby

Do they also burn hotter Fred?

14. fredj338

fredj338

Yes that was what I said, they run like sp mags.

Ricky baby likes this.
  15. jmorris

jmorris

As above CCI SRP have harder cups. For revolvers that are lightly sprung, in the opposite direction, are Federal SPP.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  16. Samuel_Hoggson

Samuel_Hoggson

SOP for open bolt 9mm. Pic shows Uzi and Glock 19 strikes. Pretty obvious which is which.
    uziglockprimerstrikes.JPG
    Drop charge about 0.5 grains, chrono, adjust.

Taterhead likes this.
  17. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Yes, I know that. But is there an inherent advantage to rifle primers for major? Or is there even an inherent ballistic advantage to harder cups?

The only 2 practical things I can think of are that softer cups are more likely to smear in the press, and it's easier to set one off if you get sloppy manually de-cocking a DA/SA production gun.

But none of that means harder cups actually perform better during firing.

18. jmorris

jmorris

I would suggest you follow book data when it comes to components unless you are comfortable working them up yourself, vihtavuori is the only source I can think of for loads that make major and not over normal operating pressures (35,000 PSI), they use SPP.

Some of the loads used are certainly +P+, in other words over the 38,500 PSI +P designation. At those pressures it’s not uncommon for SRP to be used even in fairly small cases like the 22 hornet, 30 carbine or other pistol rounds like the 454 casull.

I have never noticed a difference between pistol and rifle primers, when it comes to reloading or seating them and have never loaded 9mm major for production as minor loads are all that needed. Also never set off any round decocking a DA/SA gun with any primers hard or soft.

As for performance there are no guarantees any change will perform better than another, only way you can know is to try them for yourself in your particular firearm and note the results.

19. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Was just asking out of general curiosity, I don't have any of these problems myself.

20. fredj338

fredj338

High pressures can pierce primers, so running 9 major, I would say yes, a safety margin for those pushing the 40k psi range, if your pistol will run with harder cups.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020