SRK C Broken Tip Re-conture...

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by deputy tom, Sep 2, 2020.

1. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

IF the tip of your SRK C should snap off, which method of re-conture would be the best for strength? File the tip down from the top or round it up from the bottom and re-sharpen. Which would give the strongest tip? TIA. tom.

2. BSP Topgun

BSP Topgun

That blade looks like it gets thicker the further up the bevel you go so I would sharpen up from the cutting edge.On a folder you would fix it by sharpening from the spine down so the tip doesn't stick out of the handle when closed. A fixed belt sander is the right tool for the job but make sure you keep the metal cool by dipping in water very frequently. Overheating the blade ruins the temper.

3. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

Thanks, that is what I was thinking. tom.

4. tall terry

tall terry

you might try a warranty claim first,,, if it just breaks off in normal use,,, if you know why you broke it,,, reshape it from the edge forward you can get the original ahape, by going back just a bit from the break..

deputy tom likes this.
  5. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

That's what I saw on a video where the author broke his tip and Cold Steel sent him a replacement. Mine hasn't broke off yet but I was wanting to get the idea of fixing it myself if and when it breaks. Thanks for your reply. tom. :cowboy: