SR22 Back from Ruger

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by mac66, Aug 8, 2018.

1. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

A few years ago I bought a used SR22 pistol. It worked flawlessly and became a favorite of my wife and daughter so much so that my daughter claimed it when she moved out. That got me looking for another one.

I found a used private sale one, (made in 2013, first year of production) with 5 mags and an extra threaded barrel for sale last winter and picked it up for well under $300. Upon firing it I soon learned why he got rid of it. It would misfire and often took multiple double action trigger pulls (re-strikes) to fire. Wouldn't fire at all on single action. If it did fire it would often fail to extract (FTE). I noticed that the shell cases were split as well. That indicates the shells weren't seating in the chamber.

Well, dang it! Buyer beware. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Didn't have time to deal with it so it went into the "fix-it" drawer.

Fast forward to last week. My daughter called to visit so I asked her to bring her SR22 home. I swapped the barrel from her SR22 with mine just to see if it would work. It worked better but continued to malfunction. Her barrel also malfunctioned in my gun.

So for the first time owning Ruger guns for over 40 years, I called Ruger customer service. They sent me a shipping label and had me return the pistol even though it was an old gun bought used.

Just got the pistol back today, just over a week turn around. The note with the gun stated that they replaced the barrel, slide assembly, trigger bar, trigger spring, ejector, takedown lever, right safety and insert screws.

Yeah, basically they rebuilt the whole thing. The note also noted that they fired 30 rounds without a malfunction.

I took the gun upon receipt and fired 50 rounds into my bullet trap in the basement (5 mags using 4 different makes of ammo including some old hollow points) I had zero malfunctions!

The SR22 is a fun little gun to play with, even better when it actually works. :supergrin:

Kudo's to Ruger customer service for fixing it without cost.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  2. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

That is really good news! That pistol is smiling. :cheers:

3. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

I read more positive CS reports with Ruger than negative ones...good for them, even better for us Ruger owners

Navy1964 likes this.
  4. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Good service and I'm glad you are happy with the SR22.

The SR22 is a favorite gun.
    I have five. Including the long slide. :)

Ruger SR22P.JPG

SR 22 laser dark 2.JPG
    SR22 7 yards.JPG

SR22 laser dark 7 yards.jpg

SR22 laser dark 10 yards.jpg

Dark, 5 to 15 yards, on the move.

SR22 laser low light 25 to 5  yards.jpg

SR22 Laser low light.JPG

gp23 likes this.
  5. mac66

It should be noted that the original first year of production slide was marked "SR22 PISTOL"

Photo of the original slide...

[​IMG]

My daughter's SR22 (top) circa 2015, is marked just SR22 on the slide with a TM. The new slide is marked SR22 with a circled R and is larger and bolder.

[​IMG]

DJ Niner likes this.
  6. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Interesting.
    Of the three older ones I have handy, two are marked SR22 and one is SR22 Pistol.

The latest long slide is marked just SR22.

BTW, sometime back I had two slide stops to shatter.
    Ruger sent a couple and I bought a couple after market.
    I don't remember what I replaced with what but, no trouble since.

SR22 broken slide stop 2.JPG

SR22 broken slide stop.JPG

7. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

This is why used Rugers hold their value so well. Nobody has better customer service. :patriot:

kjphilippona likes this.
  8. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I've posted this before about the SR22 and how effective a laser/light gun can be, even for new shooters.

I use the SR22 for the first gun when teaching new shooters.

I'll tell a story that will demonstrate what the laser/light can do for the shooter in low light/ dark (that's when lasers should be used).

Three ladies, that had not touched a gun before, came to my place (outside range) to learn to shoot.
    They arrived late, so after all the stuff you tell new shooters, they only had enough daylight to shoot three magazines each. I start new shooters on the Ruger SR22.
    The ladies did about average.

As it was getting dark and I was packing up I saw I had a laser/light equipped SR22 in my gun box.
    [​IMG]
    I told the ladies,
    Usually I don't have new shooters learn the gun mounted laser until they get pretty fair with iron sights,
    BUT, since you are here and it's getting dark and I happen to have a laser/light equipped pistol with me, if you want, I'll give you a quick laser/light lesson and you can try it out.

The ladies were excited.

I told them the drill is...........
    It's dark (which by now it was) and for some reason you confront 4 bad guys.
    4 steel targets, spaced out about 10 yards across the front of the lady, about 10 yards away.
    Stand your ground when I say SHOOT, Hit your laser/light switch and shoot all four targets, back and forth and keep reloading, until you empty your 3 magazines (30 rounds).
    Shoot as fast as you can, but do not miss. I don't tolerate misses.

There was another lady there that I had taught to shoot, who was ready to go for her Concealed Carry License. She hadn't intended to shoot today.
    I told her,
    "Your turn, except since you are "experienced", (but she never saw a laser/light before) I want you to continue moving as you shoot."

Here' s the interesting thing.
    Four Ladies, three BRAND NEW shooters, and one fairly new shooter, shooting the laser/light equipped gun the first time they ever saw one,
    In total darkness, MISSED..................
    ONE SHOT out of 120 shots.
    The Ladies HAD A BALL.

I like the SR22. :)

plp likes this.
  9. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

:ladiesman: The Ladies' Man is a chick magnet!

plp likes this.
  10. NYhunter518

NYhunter518

My SR22 long slide is hands down my favorite pistol I own. It shoots everything with the very occasional malfunction that I mostly blame on cheap rim fire ammo. Mine is carried Daily around the house and farm and has accounted for a ton of dead vermin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

The SR22 is what I stick in I my pocket when heading to the range in the woods.
    (No big critters. :) )

12. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

There is one problem I've yet to solve.
    I don't like littering my backyard range with a lot of fired 22 cases and it's a chore to keep them picked up.

Got to come up with a SR22 mounted shell catcher.
    A stationary shell catcher won't work, since I tend to move around a lot.

13. mac66

M2, I knew you would show up if I posted something on the SR22. :supergrin:Always enjoy your insight.

14. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

Maybe try one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Graco-Models-handheld-brass-catcher/dp/B00J4VIVCK

15. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Thanks,
    I'm looking into it.
    If nothing else they may have something that I can modify to use with the 22's.

A couple weeks ago I made a shell catcher, out of a plastic CCI 22 box, for my Browning 22 lever action.

It's not pretty but it works 100% and can be emptied while still attached to the gun. :)

22 Browning shell catcher.JPG

Grabbrass and DJ Niner like this.
  16. amd65

amd65

My SR22 is one of the early ones with the "pistol" on the slide. I bought shortly after they came out.
    It has been faultless through many, many rounds ...but I usually only shoot CCI products, and the two hot Aguila offerings, Supermax and Interceptor.
    When the takedown levers started breaking, I followed a suggestion on rimfirecentral, and slipped an O-ring on the recoil spring to act as a buffer. It has worked as described, buffering the impact, and hasn't caused any issues. I check it, and the takedown latch after every range trip.
    I like my SR22 so much, it serves as my car pistol, with two mags full of Velocitor.

17. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

I made something similar many years ago when an acquaintance invited me to shoot gophers in his pasture, but didn't want any .22 cases left behind. What's a guy with a 10/22 autoloader (and auto-ejector) gonna do? Make a brass catcher, of course.

I used a spare 10-shot magazine, a short section of wire coat hanger, and an old sock. Threaded the coat hanger through the edge of the sock, bent it so it kept a loop of the sock open over the ejection port, and the toe of the sock would catch the empties. Because it was attached to the magazine, it wasn't a permanent modification to the rifle. Worked well, no complaints, but I haven't needed/used it in years. I'll have to track it down, I'm sure it's in one of my junk boxes somewhere.

18. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Good idea.
    I have to look into that for my 10/22's.
    I can see how the shell catcher might be attached to the magazine to.

Charger with laser.JPG

The husband of one of the neighbor ladies I taught to shoot, told his Wife he didn't want her shooting the 22 around the place. He was afraid the 22 cases might get in the horse's hoof. (very high dollar horses)

19. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

That sounds like a good idea. I haven't had anymore takedown levers break but the added protection of an O Ring can't hurt.
    I think I have some O Rings in the barn.

20. Pops 1

Pops 1

My experience with service was not as good. My SR22 trigger got very hard to pull call service had to pay reduced shipping cost and trigger was just as hard to pull when they shipped it back. Been buying Rugers for years but no more there is too many others out there to buy than a Ruger.