close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

squirrels

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by paulito, Dec 12, 2002.

1. paulito

paulito

does anyone know any strategies for hunting those pesty little squirrels? i love to hunt them, but i can't figure out how to use the call that i've got. i listened to the tape that came with it and i do it exactly the same. but for some reason i just can't seem to call them in any closer. i'll only use it when i can hear or see them really far off. i'll go back out the next day and there will be squirrels running all over. i think i might just throw it away. any unusual strategies you use or heard of? thanks

paulito;9

2. 40Cal

40Cal Modurbator

Don't call too much. If you're going nuts on the call while there's nothing for them to be excited about they'll know something is up. Also, camo is important, those little rats can see well. I've had great luck just heading out to where I find a lot of acorn shells on the ground and hang out. Some people sit and wait, I prefer to just kinda softly walk around looking up into the trees. It's a lot easier if the wind isn't blowing because you can catch their movement. If the wind is blowing, every three seconds you think you hear a squirrel. Good luck. If you're hunting with a .22 be sure to shoot them in the head, it messes up their guts too bad. I hunt them with a 12 gauge with #6 shot and it's perfect. The shot doesn't penetrate too deep and they die immediately.

3. Pistol Packin' Pete

Pistol Packin' Pete

The call is better used as a locator than an attractor. Sit a bit and call. When you hear a response, note the position and plan a short stalk. You may be able to get one to move or reveal it's location with a call, but you usually can't call them in like you could a turkey or coyote.

4. wolfman97

wolfman97

I read some time ago about someone who had figured out a method of calling squirrels. He makes a bunch of high-pitched calls with a call that mimics a baby squirrel in distress. At the same time, he beats the ground with a branch full of leaves.

According to his story, that gets the adults excited about a baby in distress and they all come running to defend the baby. He and his friend got ten or twelve of them in a matter of minutes.

I read it in a hunting magazine some time back, I can't really recall where. But the guy sells a call for that purpose so, if you hunt around on the net, you might be able to find it.

5. pizzaaguy

pizzaaguy

;2 HEY! You leave my buds alone!;6

Seriously, though, we take good care of
    our squirrels, here. We feed them at least
    once a day! We love to watch them in the
    yard.

6. noway

noway

wolfman,

I've heard that same story. The distress call is suppose to make the squirrel(s) curious and the branch beating the leaves and ground is suppose to simulate a wounded or possible fox or other predator struggling with the squirrel.

I have squirrel call myself, but so far I 've gotten jack with mine. I do best by just waiting and slooooow stalking doesn't do me any good when the ground is as dry as a Iraqi desert ( a squirrel could probably hear me a mile away ).

The only way I've been truely able to stalk has been after a good overnight rain where the brush is quiet.

paulito, one word of advice "patience" is truely needed with hunting the tree rat. The last hunt I did took me over 4hours just to even get into an area to take a shot.

7. Pistol Packin' Pete

Pistol Packin' Pete

I've had my best luck by moving fairly slowly into a known good area. I slip along as quiet as I can, but don't worry too much about alerting them. I pick a good tree to sit under and wait. They seem to come out after danger has 'passed' in 30 to 45 minutes.

8. vaulter

vaulter

I think that its pretty unethical to shoot a squirrel while its sitting in a tree....I only shoot them when they're in the air. :) :) :)
    sorry .40cal...couldn't pass up the chance :)

9. tjpet

tjpet

I grew up using the back of my hand for a call. Purse your lips tight and suck the back of one of your hands until you get a high pitched squeek, much like the noise that some folks use to call a dog. By using the back of your hand it's much louder and can be adjusted accordingly.

Any weapon will do but I used a shotgun when the leaves were on the trees, a .22 rifle after they were down.

If hunting alone a squirrel will sometimes keep the tree he's in between you and him. Toss a rock or two to the other side to get him to run to your side. Works well sometimes but if he's been shot at before he might not budge no matter what.

If you kill one don't move for 15-20 minutes. Another one might pop out.

Find a good stand of mast (acorn trees), use the right technique for your area, and it's squirrel potpie for supper.

10. Sharker

Sharker

We have been squirrel hunting all weekend. This is the middle of the day technique. First we find a good mast of acorns, then look for a close pine tree in the area, and hunt towards it (they seem to run to the tall pines in the middle of the day). When in the mornings and evenings, we just slowly hunt through the woods. I actually only rat hunt to keep my reflexes sharp, and to scout out new spots. Never tried the call, although I just kinda bark back at them and it gets them pretty mad at me.

11. Leigh

Leigh

Never had any luck with the calls, either...but had very good luck (mid fall, leaves on the ground) just still-hunting. I usually try to find a decent-sized black walnut tree (far & few between these days). Early mornings seem best; some mornings they actually run over you! To date, an old H&R 20 gauge 22-inch w/full choke (#4 or #6) has proven to be the best "medicine" for the wiley little tree rat. ;f

12. smeet5150

smeet5150 Southern Son

everyone given you good ideas, I just wanted to chime in that I always like to be looking uphill when I am sitting. It helps to outline the squirrels against the sky.

13. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983

Just get a couple of squirell dogs and tree the little suckers. Oh by the way when you eat them make sure you scramble the brains with some eggs use a spoon to pop the top of the heads off ;f ;f ;f ;f

14. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

A pair of quarters rubbed together is an ole trick for a squirrel call.

I'll try it.

Used to feed the squirrels but then they tried to claim the bird feeders.

Now we have to shoo them away because they will scare off all of the birds.

15. noway

noway

{I think that its pretty unethical to shoot a squirrel while its sitting in a tree....I only shoot them when they're in the air.}

Is this un-ethical to shoot a squirrel with a 35? This squirrel was shot at a distance of 15yrds while sitting
    (joke)

[

16. candh

candh Senior Member

Was out elk hunting (had already bagged and tagged and sent to butcher) but was enjoying the weather and the country before having to return to city, work, traffic, etc... Anyway, wife and I were talking a hike last day of particular hunt and came across a serious travesty.

Two dudes, father and son were frustrated they had not bagged their draw and decided to take it out on a squirrel. Father had a .357 mag (sounded like .38 loads)and son had g19. In all my wife and I counted 47 rounds at the lucky fur ball and the thing still got away.

17. repooc

repooc Millennium Member

I'm convinced that squirell calls are sold not because they work but because people will by them.
    Look for their nests and acorns. Sit still and have patience and they will come. The Ruger 10/22 is the perfect squirell gun.

18. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

The best squirrel hunting tactic I have found is to dress in hunter orange and sit in a deer stand. LOL I see more squirrels doing this than at ant other time. ;)

19. CavVet

CavVet Colt .45 CCW

Duncan left out the worst part; Squirrel hunting is illegal in WA state....flippin kommies...

Pizzaguy, You can move here and relax knowing your friends are 'safe'...

I always took a pocket of rocks with me back east. When they get on the back side of the tree, I throw a rock to scare them onto my side of it. Anything but a .22 is uncivilized!

20. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

When I was a kid I was was told to climb a tree then act like a squirrel.

I became a pretty good squirrel hunter after that.