Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by AirMountainMan, Aug 3, 2005.

1. AirMountainMan

Somewhere in Utah
    OK so I went to fix my truck last night and upon leaving a very small squirrel showed up at the door of my brothers shop. It seemed to be interested in us. We tried to scare it away but it would not. So, I took it home and threw it in with the rabbit. I got out today but, is hanging around the house (so I am informed by the little ones).

It appears to be very weak and I am wondering if it will make it. Are there any suggestions on what to give it? I am pretty sure that it is quite young. Maybe recently lost it's mother.

2. MrJinx

MrJinx Cats rule!!!

Believe it or not I have experience with this. As a kid a mother squirrel was killed in the road. My dad had a huge maple (over 80 years old) topped in the front yard. When crew was doing this they found a nest of baby squirrels. They were very young. No hair and looked like baby mice. Only one was alive so we called the vet and asked what to do. Advised to not bring in house since we had two cats at the time and feed the squirrel warmed, dulitted milk through a turkey baster. We put a hot water bottle in a little bed for it and protected it from predators. The squirrel lived and not surprisely was very domesticed towards our family. My brother and I named it Henry and He took up residence in the tree he was born in. Fast foward to when Henry became an adult... we found out he was really Henretta. Even as kids we understood this since "He" I mean she had babies of her own. She would bring the troops to the dorm windows on our second floor and we'd feed them peanuts and stuff.

Good luck. Just be aware that squirrels can't carry zoological dieases, ticks, fleas and other bad stuff. So be careful. Also if the animal is injured its behavior could be aggressive.

3. hangmans joke

hangmans joke

north carolina
    im a licensed rehabber , first off make sure before you feed baby to make sure he/she is hydrated . if you dont rehydrate it will die from feeding it food/ first keep warm ,hydrate. Most squirrels when you get them have already been without several feedings, so it is safe to assume that they are dehydrated and you can start him on a rehydrating solution, Pedialyte is what I use. Give 1cc, or any part of 1cc that they will take, every 30 minutes for the first two hours. After the first two hours, you can go to every 2 hours and give 1cc of Pedialyte at each feeding. If they do not take it all that is ok, but at least try to get them to take part of this amount every two hours. Make sure you keep the Pedialyte in the refrigerator and warm up just the amount you need before every feeding. Pedialyte must be thrown away 72 hours after opening the bottle.

If you do not have access to Pedialyte, you can make a homemade rehydration solution as follows: NOTE: Pedialyte and the following recipe are NOT a formula that the baby should be on for an extended period of time, it is only for rehydration.

* one teaspoon salt
    * three teaspoons sugar
    * one quart of warm water
    * Stir all of these ingredients until thoroughly mixed and store in the refrigerator.
    Next, what to feed your new arrival. A formula of powdered "Esbilac" mixed with water is the recommended choice. Esbilac is a milk replacement for puppies. It can be purchased at most pet supply stores; you should also pick up a 3cc syringe for a newborn or a 10cc. syringe for squirrels four weeks and older. Esbilac comes in powder form and also premixed liquid. If you are feeding one squirrel, get the smallest size can. Naturally the powder will keep longer then the liquid form. But you can prolong the life of both by pouring the mixed formula into an ice cube tray and freezing. This gives you about sixteen one-ounce doses, which you can then defrost and warm in the Microwave oven. This method is helpful if you have a lot of mouths to feed.

The basic formula should consist of 1 cup of water, 1/2 cup of powder Esbilac, and 1/2 cup of whipping cream. The cream is added to fortify the formula, and add a little extra incentive to eat. An alternative small batch mixture would be 2-tsp water, 1 tsp Esbilac, and 1 tsp of whipping cream. You'll have less waste with this teaspoon method.

If your squirrel has trouble with the regular Esbilac, such as diarrhea or bloating. PetAg makes an Esbilac formula with goat's milk. This can be a good alternative.

Be sure the formula is warmed to 98 degrees F. but no higher then 102 degrees. Cradle the infant in the palm of one hand, then administered the formula slowly. Let the squirrel set the pace of feeding.

The frequency of feeding depends on the age and weigh of the infant squirrel.
    The following are guidelines from which you should start, adjust these amounts as needed.

Under one week of age (umbilical cord still attached), will require 9 feeding's. These should be scheduled every two hours, starting at 6 a.m. and the last one at 10 p.m. Quantity should be around 1cc. or 1/4 teaspoon.

Age 2-3 weeks, feed 5 times a day, start at 1 1/2 cc of formula and increase to 3 cc

Age 4-5 weeks, feed 4 times a day, start at 3 1/2 cc of formula and increase to 5 cc

Age 6-7 weeks, feed 4 times a day, start at 6 cc of formula and increase to 9 cc

Age 8 weeks, feed 10 to 14 cc twice a day. Begin weaning onto small pieces of solid food.

After feeding, you must make sure the infant can and will relief itself. To stimulate this process use a dampened Q-tip and gentle rub it across the genitals. It is not necessary that you get results each time, but the pattern should be established early.

This is very important . . .
    Never feed a cold squirrel!

Squirrels are surpisingly affectionate as pets. We had one that fell out pf a tree and knocked himself stupid. We nursed hime back with "Tigers Milk" (cat replacement milk from Wal-Mart) or sweetened condensed milk. Then carrots, apples, nuts, whatever. He had a full coat when we found him.

Our vet said they needed alot of sugar in their diet.

We kept boy squirrel for a few months and he was really fun to be around. Then we took him outside and he ran back to his nest for a family reunion.

Several months later...Boy Squirel came down the tree with HER babies. She was still a fun pet while we had her.

Good luck,