close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

squirrel .vs. g17.....who do you think wins?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by branden, Jan 25, 2003.

Tags:
  1. branden

branden AMERICA **** YA

Out riding my friends new Prairie 650 ( best ATV ive ever laid my hands on, i might add), and seen a big fox squirrel run up a tree.Thought I would see how my capabilitys were... Well, win. White Box 115 grain FMJ went straight through his ear ( basically blowing his head up kinda deal), and dropped him like a bad habit... I love my G17!!;c ;c

2. Arbee

Arbee

Essentially shooting your 17 in the air? Doesn't sound too safe, but maybe there is something I am missing.

3. Grimsi

Grimsi Restored member

Killing for fun?

Lots of serial killers start out like that...

4. branden

branden AMERICA **** YA

I was on my girlfriends property, lots of it. No one else around for miles. I posted that because I was proud, It was a tight shot, and I havt had my 17 for heck, only 2 months now. Thanks for the minor flaming though.

5. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

The reason i won't guide certain folks on a hunt is because they won't eat what they murder.

Shoot 'clay pigeons', if you want to group your gun.

CanyonMan

6. branden

branden AMERICA **** YA

Are you telling me as a teen you never shot something for the hell of it? If so, I am raising the BS flag.

7. Mud

Mud

nice shot and all but im not sure that is the best reason to shoot the squriel my buddies are into killing **** for no reason but i dunno seems like a waste to me

8. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Hey Branden,

You said..(quote,), are you telling me that as a "teen" you never shot something for the **** of it? if so, i'm raising the bs flag. (end quote).

Branden, what I said, and the others as well, is in no wise, (it seems to me), done in anger, or to make you look dumb.

I know that, "I" did it for a 'minor rebuke'. I'll answer your question for ya. "YES," when i was young i did this, and my Father was very quick to point out to me, that we were 'hunters, not recreational killers.' So, I have never done it since!

branden, that is one reason we don't enjoy the presese of the buffalo like they once were. We still have a fair amount on the ranch country i worked in Oklahoma, my home. But, mostly, they were all killed off. The same with alot of other animals for "just the fun of it." I don't even here the coyotes around here as much as i used to, because of all the government overkill, and the funseeker kills. On the ranch here in west texas, i hardly ever here a coyote anymore.

On an on i could go... Man , 'for me at least,' I like to be outside and watch and listen to what we have left in the wild, and enjoy it, cause there ain't much of it left.

My father taught me, as i've taught my kids, not to kill something, unless it is destroying property, (and can't be managed any other way), (or unless of course we are going to eat it!), or unless something is attacking us! There really ain't much out there that will attack you. :)

From your question, (the quote above), a assume you are a teen, or you would not have worded it that way, you would have called yourself an adult... if you are a teen, how did you get a G17"? (I'm not really wanting you to answer ok!).. Arbee, on his post said.. shooting the gun in the air didn't sound to safe to him.".. well when one is hunting something in a tree, it is hard not to point the gun up. But, he 'does have a point there' with your pistol situation, he was just saying..."be safe!" Those bullets go a long way, and can hit a cow, a kid that crossed the fence and came over on your girfriends property, etc.

I don't see you 'getting flammed my friend', i think 'everyone' has been there, and is saying, this ain't cool!

BTW, I am 51 years old now, so i ain't a teen.

Man, My father wouldn't even let me shoot buzzard's for the fun of it.
    He siad, "they got a job to do, let them do it." I said, "well they are ugly, so who cares." he said.."That is the way it is with alot of "folks" as well son, some people want to push away, or get rid of, or not hang out with, the ones that are ugly, they cut them out like a calf," so you want to kill that buzzard just because it's ugly? Then you will have a hard time dealing with certain people you find offencive."

You know what i found out? He was right!

You asked, I answered...
    Eat the meat, practice on the cans.

Good luck to ya Hoss!

CanyonMan

9. noway

noway

CanyonMan, very will put.

Animals should be killed for food or because it an predators or danger to humans/livestocks. That how us former Texans boys where taught or at least me when I was younger.

{ell, win. White Box 115 grain FMJ went straight through his ear ( basically blowing his head up kinda deal), and dropped him like a bad habit... I love my G17!!}

Either way nice shot but it isn't hard to do if you know you gun & ammo and of course the squirrel will always loose to a G17 if hit.

10. Hal9mm

Hal9mm

wow that sounds like quite the hunting experience, you truly are a talented marksman to be able to hit a squirrel and what great shot placement it only took one round of 9mm.

11. branden

branden AMERICA **** YA

CanyonMan, Very good points, totally respectable. To answer your rhetorical question- I am not a "outcast" but do not like sports. Always loved firearms and hunting, and Glocks inparticular. So I figured I would try a little comp. shooting. So my dad got my a G17 for christmas. Greatest gift ever.

I am sorry if I came across grumpy on my above post. After I re-read my first post, it does sound like a murdered the poor little thing. Sorry Guys!

-Branden

12. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

branden,

Never thought you were an 'outcast' my man.
    It was really nice of your dad to get you the G17 for Christmas.
    No appology needed, (as far as i am concerned).

We're all learning Bud, so just learn from the mistakes, and keep on moving forward......!

As far as i am concerned.... it takes a man to admit he was wrong.
    Especially in public. So don't beat yourself up.

Just go and use your gun in a safe and wise way, and have fun!

Hang in there Hoss!

CanyonMan

13. JHill

JHill

Hey cheif,

Just come to TN--state authorizes many small game to "murder" so as to control populations. Actually, I can't wait till the armadillo makes its way further east. They are now in middle TN.

Nice shot BTW.

14. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jhill,
    we got thousands of acers in Tn. You say, "the state authorizes many small game to murder"....(quote)

Like What? This is news to me Hoss!

As i said, discounting West Texas ranching, our famly property East of Memphis, Tn. runs into the very high thousands of acers.

You telling us we need to thin out what?

I have seen "nothing" absolutely "nothing," that at present, needs thinning out! (or shall we say 'murdered!). Pleasure Killing!

You need to 'holster your gun bud.'

CanyonMan

15. UCF-Tacoma

UCF-Tacoma Super Member

I thought fox squirrels were protected or something.

16. noway

noway

In FL YES. The only huntable squirrels are the grays.

17. Tangle

Tangle

Nice shot Branden!

Lots of animals, elephants, lions, bears, etc. are shot for sport by hunters and they kill them whether someone is going to eat the kill or not.

I'm not aware of any law (or commandment) that says it is murder or immoral to kill animals for sport. We kill mice in traps and don't eat them. Well, a squirrel is a mouse isn't it?

We do need to exercise wisdom so no species is "over-killed" as has been done in the past.

I do have a bit of concern about shooting a 9mm into the air - they can go a long, long way.

That had to be a shot to be proud of!

18. noway

noway

{ I'm not aware of any law (or commandment) that says it is murder or immoral to kill animals for sport. We kill mice in traps and don't eat them. Well, a squirrel is a mouse isn't it?}

Try the Bible & Torah "Kosher" Jewish laws and rituals, where they treat the killing of animals to be sacrified and should not be done in a un-civilize nature nor just for the sports of it, nor causing undue pain & suffer to the animal being slain.

These laws and rituals have been on the books for thousands of years.

btw: I'm not jewish nor religious as far as that goes.

btw: the squirrel are not in the mouse family

19. Tangle

Tangle

Quote:
    "Try the Bible & Torah "Kosher" Jewish laws and rituals, where they treat the killing of animals to be sacrified and should not be done in a un-civilize nature nor just for the sports of it, nor causing undue pain & suffer to the animal being slain."

I agree completely that the Mosaic Law specified how animals to be sacrificed OR eaten had to be killed and even what kind of animals, but those laws do not address sport killing of animals. For example, Esau (son of Issac and Rebekah) was a great hunter. He certainly couldn't kill the animals he hunted accorded to the Mosaic Laws but the Bible never condems him for hunting.

Since I know of no law or commandments in the Bible that prohibits the "sport" killing of animals, I would sincerely appreciate it if you could post verses that address that issue.

Those who are not Jewish or religious, are not bound by those laws anyway since those laws only pertain to believers of that religion.

My point about the mice, was that we often kill rats/mice for convenience/pest control rather than to eat. I see no difference morally or religously in shooting a squirrel or trapping a mouse/rat in a deadly trap.

Mice, rats, and squirrels are all in the rodentia family. You can verify that as I did with a web search.

20. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

I have said quite a bit about this on one of my post above.

But it is a matter of morality! Why kill animals just to kill them?
    Just so you won't think i am an animal protection, or animal rights activist, I have cowboyed on a ranch biggest part of my life, raised in the far regions of Oklahoma panhandle. The ranching is now in West Texas, 'and' family holdings of many thousands of acres of land, East of Memphis, Tn. I have guided hunts,( amoung other things), since the mid/late 70's, and we will not take a guy on a "trophy only" hunt. No thrill killing. We want them to get a 'big one,' of whatever it is. But, if their intent is to "just get the head..."
    Sorry charlie. :)

Noway , a friend of mine, said.."he was not a religous man...."
    That is my good friends business. But i am, and have been for 25 years. But, even before that, i was taught not to kill, just to kill, (i don't care what folks in africa hunts do). God has a way of thinking on this. Speaks for itself.. I will give you just "one" example from the Bible..

Proverbs 12: 27 " A lazy man does not roast (cook), his game, but the diligent,(upright & moral), man prizes his possessions"

There are many more examples, but i believe this one surely speaks for itself.

If something is attacking you, or destroying your property, (and you cannot control it any other way), this is one thing. But, to kill just for the thrill, or the rack, or the 'trophy' and 'not eat the meat,' This not only goes against all that truly represents a real sportsman, but it is also out of character with God's grace to us, to give us the animals for food, in the first place.

If "control," of a species is essential for a benifit to that, or another species, or human safety or life, then we must be responcible to do what we must do... But those "good ole boys" who just want to shoot, kill, and 'get off on it', well, not to hard to figure out is it? :)

CanyonMan