close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Squirrel season opening soon

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Bonk, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Bonk

Bonk Millennium Member

In my part of Virginia it opens September 6. Bought my license this afternoon, and have the 20ga all ready to go with some #6's stuffed in the hunting vest. I always like hunting squirrels because they're tricky but not impossible, easy to clean and cook, and you're not out there freezing your patooties off. Well, not until later...

http://www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/regs/smallgame.html#squirrel

2. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan Cool Guy

A 20 guage for a squirrel?;g

I have never had a squirrel run away from a .22 LR, but a 12 guage? Would there be much meat after that?;h

3. ClonaKilty

ClonaKilty

Post squirrel recipes please!

4. noway

noway

{A 20 guage for a squirrel?}

So!

I use a 12ga on my squirrels and actually use the 7/8 or 1oz of #4/6 steel game loads by remington.

I have plenty of meat left and trust me in early fall where most trees still have leaves, they tend to soak up the pellets mightly quickly. Unless you shoot a tree rat at less than 7-10yrds, you will harvest a lot of meat. Shotguns are common with hunting small game animals such as rabbits,squirrels,etc.......

Now for recipes, that easy just start a hickory or mesquite wood fire,dress the squirrel tied it to a stick or metal KaBoob skewer and roast it over the open flames real slowly. Add you're seasoning and enjoy with a nice beer.

My dad likes to actually cut the meat in chunks like Kaboobs and add pork and chicken chunks and marinade the meat before roasting.

5. Bonk

Bonk Millennium Member

I've been using the 20ga because on the farms I usually hunt the majority of the shots are into trees, almost straight up, and it just feels a little safer than flinging a .22 round up there. Other options are my 10/22 and Ruger Mk2, but I try to keep the shots below the horizon with those.

Anyone else use a dog? I bring my Boston Terrier (not the Pug) sometimes, and it's an interesting diversion to still hunting. I put her on a 6' leash and we walk along quietly. I actually find that the squirrels will ignore me after a while and just come out of the trees to mess with the dog, at which point they usually find out the hard way how dumb of an idea it was.:)

6. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

Can't wait to get out and chase some tree rats ;f I've used everything from 12 guage to .410 to .22. Well everything except the 28 guage. I really like the .410 the best for squirrels.

7. Rebeldon

Rebeldon

I only use .22LR or .22Shorts for squirrel hunting. I pop 'em in the head. If you use shot, be very careful when you dress the critters, that you get all of it out. Finding shot in your squirrel dumplings ruins the meal.

Just a reminder...

After you dress the squirrel, soak it in very salty cold water for about an hour. When you wash the meat do not use hot or warm water. Only use cold water.

Don't let flies get on the squirrels, as they will lay eggs on them.

Before you skin the squirrels, thouroughly wash the squirrels to get as much of the loose furr off. And you want the furr wet and sticking to itself rather than falling out all over the meat. The furr is very hard to get off the meat if it comes in contact with it.

8. hcook

hcook

I use a .22 and do head shots. It's quick and doesn't leave blood in the meat. One of these days I'm going to get a .410 for those times when a rifle is less than ideal.

The squirrel I've eaten has been cooked like fried chicken. Mmmmm... My wife makes superb chicken pot pie, and one of these days I'm going to have her substitute squirrel.

9. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

If you do get hair on the flesh, just take a propane torch and quickly braise it over the area where the hair is. The hair will either melt or pop right off.good luck dusting those arboreal rats!;f

10. noway

noway

One other suggestion that would keep the hair contamination down, wear the big dishwasher gloves or medical gloves when dressing the games.

I find that sweating, wet or damp hands pick up and transfer alot more hairs.

So as you make you're first cut and preparing to dress the tree-rat, put on the gloves prior to removing the fur-jacket.:)

justmy 0.02c

11. txgolfer45

txgolfer45

So far, it seems that only shotguns are allowed for hunting squirrels on texas public lands. Suggestions for a shotgun??? Less than $500?

Thanks,
    Scott

12. ClonaKilty

ClonaKilty

I am sure you could get a used and serviceable 20 ga or .410 shotgun for less than $150. Someone posted (on another forum) they had picked up a 12 ga Winchester 1300 for $137 NIB.

Are you looking for a "squirrel only" s/gun or one that can do multiple duty (upland/waterfowl, deer/boar, biped intrusion deflector...??) This will help narrow the advice down.

13. txgolfer45

txgolfer45

Since it will be my first shotgun, versatility will be important.

Scott

14. noway

noway

A remington/mossberg/winchester/benelli-nova pumps can all be had for under $500.00 and very versitale

IMHO: If you plan on really doing squirrels , get a squirrel only gun. I would look at a cheap ( like under 90.ooUSD ) NEF single shot break-action 20ga shotgun.

here's my reason way;

> Light in the hands ( don't need a sling and you won't get tired carrying a NEF 20ga around vrs let's say a 870pump )

> 20ga is more than enough to knock a tree rat down

> 20ga shells are reasonable price & easyto find

> 60-90 USD for a typical NEW NEF 20ga won't break the bank.

Alot of people think you need to spend hundreds of dollars in a SG to hunt rabbits and squirrels.

It ain't so.

Ironically my Grandad and his father hunted squirrels with sling shots when he was in teens. I heard he was good at to about 10-15yrds w/simple sling and ball bearing .

15. ClonaKilty

ClonaKilty

What noway said. Remington 870/Mossberg 500 in 20 ga is good for squirrels, other critters, upland game, trap/skeet. Can get both NIB for under $350.

16. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Mrs Redneck has an NEF single shot 20 ga. ( I opted for the .410) Great little guns with a classy look and a light price!(we paid less than 100 for each!);f

17. noway

noway

{Great little guns with a classy look and a light price!}

I bought one for $50.00 2years ago ( LNIB ) it was actually bought from walmart by this older genetlemen that picked one up.

I bougght it fire one box of rounds thru it tuck it in my closet until my neighbor begged me to sale it to him for his son to get him started.

I gave mine up. :(

Big mistake on the first time I whent hiking thru the wood with a 870 w/5rounds loaded and carry this hugh shotgun just praying to see a squirrel or rabbit.

After the first 4 miles, my arms felt like they where carrying 100lbs weights.

That little NEF 20ga would have been much better.(IMHO)

18. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

[​IMG]
    [color=royal blue]Topper®[/color] *click on image*

19. bhart89

bhart89

I hunt with a .22 also but if I had to hunt with a shotgun I'd take a look at that lever .410 shotgun from winchester or marlin.

20. bbauman

bbauman Millennium Member

Never been a fan of a shotgun for squirrel. Used to use a .22lr but it was getting too predictable/easy so got a .36cal blackpowder squirrel gun. If I miss the squirrel is usually back watching me by the time I've reloaded so I get a second chance. :)

Season started Aug 1 here but waiting for the first hard freeze to kill off the sickly ones.

Had a great recipe, I'll have to try to find it. Remember you soaked it overnight in salt water, then marinaded, wrapped in tinfoil with potatoes and carrots and put in the oven for a while. Was much better than the tough fried like chicken way mom used to make.