close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Squirrel season is almost here!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Bonk, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Bonk

Bonk Millennium Member

In my part of Virginia, it starts on Sept 4th.

The three reasons I like squirrel hunting:
    1. Good warm-up from the off-season before going after the bigger game.
    2. Usually a decent chance of success.
    3. Best of all, you can hunt in light clothing, not freeze your patootie off like during late deer season.:)

I use either a 20ga Mossberg 500 pump shotgun, or a peep-sighted Ruger 10/22.

Anyone else?

2. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

I haven't hunted squirrels for almost 25 yrs... but I just bought a Savage, heavy barreled, bolt-action .17HMR rifle, so I might give it another go. I need to shoot something with it. ;)

It was strictly an "impulse purchase", one of those "I-gotta-have-one-cuz-everybody-else-does" things. :) I was hangin' out at my local gun-shop, and the owner was unpacking a shipment of guns from his distributor, and he discovered that he had ordered the wrong rifle for a customer... the customer wanted a right-handed bolt-action .17, and he mistakenly had ordered a left-handed model. Me being a lefty, I said "make me a deal, and you won't have to return it". ;) He offered it to me for his cost, so I took it.

3. tjpet

tjpet

Used to hunt them a lot as a kid in Ohio and PA. My Dad's rule of thumb was - shotguns while the leafs were still on the trees, .22 rifles after they dropped.

4. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

ruger10/22T

ate alot of squill last year.

squill and gravy!

5. A_Swede_17_1911

A_Swede_17_1911

Im probably going to hunt em this year with my Ruger MK1 .22, be my first time but only .22 I have at the moment.

6. sarge

sarge Millennium Member

My son and I open squirrel season every year, and have for about the last 12 years. We love to squirrel hunt for the same reasons you do. Arkansas season also opens Sept 4th. Our weapon of choice is Marlin 17VS rifles, leaves or no leaves.
    [​IMG]

They are both equipped with Simmons AETEC 3.8x12x44AO scopes.
    [​IMG]

Both will shoot real small 5 shot groups at 50 yards.
    [​IMG]

They bring home the bacon in the morning...
    [​IMG]

...and we cook it up at night. Fried squirrel, corn on the cob, mashed taters, biscuits and white gravy...
    [​IMG]

7. SoDFW Jason

SoDFW Jason Slow Hillbilly

Sarge- What time is supper?:)

8. noway

noway

when are you inviting us over for dinner?

9. sarge

sarge Millennium Member

See the clock on the stove? You just missed it!!

10. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

Headed out with my new squirrel rifle, a Ruger K10-22, 20" barrel stainless steel.

I go for many reasons, most already covered. I also enjoy it because it gives me a chance to scout for deer and turkey seasons and a darn good excuse to get out in the woods. ;f

11. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Sarge, the only pic you didn't show was the "after" pic!;g (you know , after the squirrel was eaten....never mind!)
    Man that is some set up for squirrel, you are the official squirrel sniper!;f

12. trapfan

trapfan Got Glock?

My Squirrel rig is a Ruger 10-22T with a Volquartsen trigger group and a 4X16 50mm Weaver fine cross hair scope. With Winchester Power Point or Wildcat rounds it will clover-leaf rounds at 50 yards if you do your part. With it up on 16 power a big Fox Squirrels head looks like a T-Rex covering side to side in the reticle. When the shot goes off the hit sounds like you just "thumped a melon".

13. WTSGalco

WTSGalco

I love squirrel hunting!
    This year I'm going to be using a NEF Sportster. Last year I used a AR15 with a super accurate Keuhl Presion upper. The problem was that even with a flat top the scope was too far above the axis of the bore making poi estimation at close range tuff. One of thses years I'm going to get a nice tricked out custom Ruger 10/22 with a very low scope mount and have my ultimate squirrel rifle.

14. jtshombre

jtshombre

I haven't hunted squirrels in years, but I have great memories of going out with my dad in Michigan. We don't have many squirrels here in Montana, but they are mighty tasty little buggers! I used a 20 gauge, but then I was only about 12, now I'd probably go with my Thompson Contender with the .22 barrel, scary accurate.

My next hunt is for:

Oct. 10th is the opener, I can hardly wait, have to get that .270 sighted in! Take care

15. vafish

vafish

I think it's all of Virginia!

And I didn't realize it was coming up that fast.

Gotta go buy a hunting license.

16. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

I grew up in SW VA hunting squirrels.

It may be my favorite kind of hunting...or maybe it is groundhog hunting...or deer hunting..or rabbit hunting. Nah, it is squirrel hunting.

We used to open season when the squirrels first started cutting hickory nuts in September. I knew the location of every hickory tree for several miles around. Back then the official season didn't always coincide with the cutting so we hunted with 22 short hollow points. (Much of the time, if we didn't shoot something, there was no meat in the meal). Those 22 shorts don't echo up and down the hollers like a 22 long rifle.
    Even today, in that part of the mountains, they will make fun of you if you admit to squirrel hunting with a shotgun.

I've been away for 30 years but recently aquired several 22s in anticipation of returning to squirrel country when I retire. I have a BLR and an old Marlin that both handle 22 shorts (Just in case).

I did get an oportunity to hunt squirrels in Oklahoma a few years ago. I found a lot of them near Canton and had a wonderful time collecting my limit. However, I did discover they are a different gray squirrel from the ones in Virginia. Maybe someone on this board that is up on squirrels can confirm this.
    The OK Gray squirrels have a reddish trim and the older squirrels are too tough to eat except in stew. I can't recall a tough one in VA.

I have deer and turkey hunted VA a few times over the years and from my observations, I think the fox squirrel population is up.
    Also, I read somewhere that the number of people hunting squirrels has gone way down over the last several years. It is an art that is not being passed on to the younger generations!

So, TAKE A KID SQUIRREL HUNTING!

I look forward to my retirement and collecting a few "Squizzies" for the freezer.

I'm always keeping my eyes open for a retirement job.
    Maybe "Squirrel Guide"?