Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Squirrel question

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by c10bonanza, Jul 7, 2005.

1. c10bonanza

c10bonanza Hobo

When hunting squirrel, how soon should I field dress it after a kill? Do I wait until I am done for the day, or clean each one as I get it.

Should I immediately put it in a cooler on ice?

Hey Sarge...can you post a link to that video again of you cleaning a squirrel from way back when?

2. noway

Davie "Cowboy" , FL
    The sooner the better, but I normally hunt half a day and then had back to the truck to clean & dress the squirrel that I've harvest during the 1st part of the day. Then I head back and try to get the next bunch.

The real question is how hot is your area?

in the winter months up north you can get away with keeping the dead squirrel for a much longer time before the meat get spoiled. Hot areas like SE Florida, which stays pretty warm thru the sml game season, is another story.

I try to get my squirrels dress and on ice as soon as reasonable, but I don't go over 4 hours. The whole animals is small and not as critical as a deer and as long as you take prudent precautions like don't leave the animal in direct sunlight but storage in the shade or in a game a sack you should be okay.

remember the tree-rat skin is very tight aganist the meat, and the sooner you dress it out, the easier it is. It's nowhere as easy as a coon, rabbit or deer ;)