Squirrel hunting/ eating?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Just_plinking, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

This is probably going to come off sounding pretty dumb, but here goes.

I've been interested in getting into outdoors skills, and want to try my hand at hunting.

I don't have any friends that hunt, so I'd like to start simple, which brings me to the topic of squirrels.

I've got plenty of them in my backyard, and they like to dig in my garden so I wouldn't mind thinning out the herd anyway.

My questions are as follows:

Is it safe to eat squirrels you find in your backyard (semi-suburban are). Are they more prone to disease then squirrels farther out in the country? What are the risks, and what can you do to avoid getting sick?

How do you tell the difference between squirrels and chipmunks (i'm assuming you don't want to eat chipmunks), I live in north ga btw.

Whats the best way to clean and cook them?

Any other advice would also be appreciated.

I plan On making my boxer pup tree them, and my gf cook them :supergrin:

2. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

I've eaten tree squirrels but not the ground variety. We used Shake n Bake, came out pretty good, heck of a lot better than going hungry, but not as good as cotton tail rabbit.

3. Revvv

Revvv

There is a huge difference between squirrels and chipmunks. You should be able to easily recognize both.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. Revvv

Revvv

5. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Squirrels are bigger
    [​IMG]

Chipmunks are tiny
    [​IMG]

If you are allowed to hunt the squirrels where you want to thin them out they should be good to eat.

6. RustyL

RustyL

The only worry I might see in eating wildlife from the city is maybe flea infested critters...dunno. Those pesky squirrels dig a lot under the oak tree in my front yard, and occationally I find them drowned in the swimming pool.

7. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

I'm getting hungry already! I think my confusion, now that I think about it, is that i've probably never seen a chipmunk.

8. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

Don't know if i used semi-suburban correctly. I meant more rural than suburban.

9. xtreme99

xtreme99 What's a Glock?

When you clean them, make sure to check the liver. A nice red, smooth liver is a signnof a healthy animal. If it has spots ornis very pale, dont eat it, you may get sick. Also, check for ticks and fleas. You dont want to eat something infested with either.

There are plenty of good websites to find out how to clean and cook them. Google is your friend on this one.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2

10. OGW

OGW SAF

Skin squirrels while they're still warm; in other words, right after you shoot them.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  11. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

First can you discharge a firearm where you are?

Second... as shown in the photos, you can't mistake a chipmunk for a squirrel... unless you're Ray Charles.

Third... all wild game should be inspected for disease or health issues before you decide to eat it.

Fourth... so long as you cook the meat throughly you shouldn't have any issues with parasites and such.

Fifth... cook squirrel like you would chicken or cornish game hens. Although there are a ton of ways to cook them up. Me, I prefer them with dumplings.

And finally... if you are going to hunt them I recommend making head shots. Less damage to the meat. Some folks prefer to use a shotgun. I prefer to shoot them in the head. They die faster, taste better in my opinion. That and it makes the hunt a bit more challenging.

12. Happypuppy

Happypuppy

I have eaten them before. I used to work at a ranch during the summers in my teens. These good old boys for Tennessee taught me how to hunt deer...and squirrels.

I would not eat them, but one time they made stew, and as I was eating it I saw these yellowish rodent teeth looking at me. I thought it was a rat... It was not bad it was the texture of dark turkey bit and a bit greasy.

13. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

Thanks for the advice. I plan on using my marlin model 60, or picking up a pellet gun.

14. collim1

collim1

I grew up squirrel hunting. Its alot of fun. Me and dad used to use .22 iron sight rifles and take head shots to add some challenge. My grandfather grew up in the depression and ate alot of squirrel and my dad wanted that passed down to me.

Not a big fan of eating them, they are not bad, but not great either.

Rabbit on the other hand is a fine meat. If there are squirrels in your area then there are lots of rabbits also. I much prefer rabbits.

Look for "wolves" under the skin. Its a parasitic worm, bot fly larvae. You can spot it by the raised bumps in the skin. If the skin is smooth and the liver looks normal its safe to eat. Dad always taught me not to eat the ones with "wolves" in them. They are a pain to skin if you let them get stiff, so skin them and gut them ASAP.

15. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

I use a Marlin 795... pretty much the same gun as the model 60. You should have no problem popping them in the dome.

16. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

Thanks, Just the kind of tips I was looking for. Your are on point on the rabbits. One picked at my garden all last year. My gf didn't want it shot, that furry sun of a gun got fat on my greens, next time I see him it's game over.

17. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

Can't beat a .22 marlin. I think they are lots of fun, and one of the best values out there. I don't often shoot well, but when I do, its with my model 60.

18. frankmako

frankmako

tree rats are good to eat. i use them as meat in a stew. good dark meat. you will have fun hunting them.

19. countrygun

countrygun

We don't have much in the way of rabbits in this area but tons of squirrels, in fact hunting them in the rest of the State has a "season" (if you can believe it) but not our area it's 365 here.

I generally cook them the way Grandma did,

Halved and rinsed off it cold water. Dried off. Roll in a mixture of flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and any other spices you like on game. Melt some butter in a high-sided pan. get it up to browning temp and brown squirrel on all side quickly. turn down heat and remove squirrel. Make a thin milk gravy with the drippings and flour. Put squirrel back in and cover. Simmer until gravy thickens to desired level. Remove cove to speed thickening if desired after ten minutes. Serve with cornbread or fresh biscuits.

20. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

Where's Eddie> He usually easts these ********* things.