Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
The wind serenades a purified man.
5,031 Posts
In all seriousness, stalking squirrels is great training for learning to stalk other game. I use a very old and scoped Marlin bolt action, chambered in 22 magnum. Squirrel hunting is pretty high on my list of preferred activities.

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
11,950 Posts
The squirrels I've seen in Orlando are skinny with thin tails, don't look like there'd be any meat at all on their bony frames. Maybe let one sit for a couple of days and catch a 'gator with it.
You are right the Limb Rats in Fla are generally skinny....I lived just north of El Paso along the Rio Grande for 2 yrs...the squirrels there fatten on the huge Pecan Orchards and are the size of small Chihuahuas!

·
Registered
258 Posts
A suppressor really upped my hunting skills when hunting them tree rats. We have the red fox variety, they eat hedge balls, pecans, and walnuts around my area, and I swear because they eat that diet, they taste way better than a city squirrels. Imo.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Grey squirrels will eat the pine seeds out of pine cones. I have never noticed a different taste of those I shot out of pine trees. Maybe its a Maine thing, or maybe Yankee squirrels taste different than Southern squirrels. They are great down here.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
No squirrels out my way. But I grew up in Ohio and we had plenty of fox and greys. Used a .410 or 20 gauge when the leaves were on the trees. When they dropped we broke out the .22s. Had a Mossberg 340k w/4x Weaver scope that was just deadly. Shot hundreds over the years between me and dad. Mom would panfry them and serve'em up with Dutch oven potatos and a green salad. Man, 50 years later I can still taste them.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No squirrels out my way. But I grew up in Ohio and we had plenty of fox and greys. Used a .410 or 20 gauge when the leaves were on the trees. When they dropped we broke out the .22s. Had a Mossberg 340k w/4x Weaver scope that was just deadly. Shot hundreds over the years between me and dad. Mom would panfry them and serve'em up with Dutch oven potatos and a green salad. Man, 50 years later I can still taste them.
Yep, I am 59 years old and I luv hunting and eating Limb Chickens as much as I did when I was 8 years old.

·
Banned
4,670 Posts
I squirrel hunt 4 months out of the year and practically every weekend. I use CZ's 452 and 512. It's pretty fun stalking those suckers.
tjpet come on down and I'll put you on some squirrels.

Reactions: Kentucky Shooter

·
NRA Benefactor
5,779 Posts
We have tons of squirrels because of the orchards in N California. They aren't edible and they seem know what the range of most rifles. Problem we have shooting here is damaging the trees so we have to shoot them on the ground when they move from tree to tree or try to make it to their burrows. I use an accurized 10/22 and my friends who own the orchard I hunt use a Savage.

They've moved into neighborhoods because of all the trees. They steal dog food when they can and they've learned to use telephone lines to travel from area to area to avoid the dogs in backyards..

My terrier use to catch them, but at 20, blind, and deaf, she isn't very good at it anymore. At my house, I have to use a silenced pellet gun because of the proximity of neighbors. They used to live in my attic until I replaced my roof and put steel wool in all the vents. Darn things now live in my redwoods, my neighbors attics, and raid my mandarin orange trees.

·
NRA Benefactor
5,872 Posts
In all seriousness, stalking squirrels is great training for learning to stalk other game. I use a very old and scoped Marlin bolt action, chambered in 22 magnum. Squirrel hunting is pretty high on my list of preferred activities.

Very true. Back in my Guiding days in the Rocky Mtns we booked hunters.
On the phone I would ask about hunting experience. When a fellow in Pennsylvania said, I have only hunted squirrels.
I booked him for elk hunting. A squirrel hunter knows about stalking and shooting.:drillsgt:

·
NRA Benefactor
5,872 Posts
That's true Dog Soldier, Hunting squirrels has made me a better deer hunter, even though down here we hunt deer from tree stands.
All the Great men in the Frontier times grew up Hunt'in Squirrels.
I am sure you learned the patients of Job. And the eye for choosing that perfect shot.
I can close my eyes in memory, and see a Fox Squirrel's eye shine over the front sight on my Winchester.:drillsgt:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.