GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
63,377 Posts
Why do people want to keep their yards free of squirrels? I don't think I've ever heard of that before. People complain about moles and skunks and raccoons and even deer, but never Squirrels.

Reactions: Dave514

·
Registered
3,302 Posts

Give them to the neighbors.

·
Señor Member
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Dogs bred to do specific things tend to be naturally better at those things. Feists have been used to hunt squirrels for a long long time and are very good at it. If your goal is to "keep your yard free of squirrels" then getting a dog bred for chasing squirrels makes the most sense to me. But yes, they are not trained to catch and kill squirrels. You train them to tree squirrels so you can shoot them. However, a dog that is bred to chase squirrels shouldn't be too hard to encourage to kill them. Play fetch with a dead squirrel and reward the hell out of the dog when he brings the dead squirrel back.

And I don't think a dog needs to kill the squirrels to keep your yard free of squirrels. The pressure of danger alone should keep them at bay.
I agree.

·
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
29,109 Posts
Apparently 2010 Brown Civics do a number on them. I found a petrified one in the nose of my car a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
My cocker spaniel keeps those evil birds out of the yard. I'm not sure how he'd do with squirrels, but I'm sure he'd chase them.

·
Señor Member
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Our neighbor had a dog that would bark and chase after the squirrels, listening to that damn dog barking all day was really annoying. Ask your neighbors if they mind listening to a dog barking all day or the squirrels more.

I never understood the issue with squirrels and I've lived in areas where there we a lot of squirrels. Shoot and eat them if they are such a bother.
Read post #28.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts