GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Señor Member
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you say is the best dog to have in order to keep your yard free of squirrels?

Thanks.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
We've got 4 Miniature Schnauzers. The squirrels need to be one their toes when they are outside. They will go outside and sit at the base of a tree and just stare up hoping for a chance.

·
Banned
4,670 Posts

·
Registered
42,445 Posts
Feist.

There is a reason an adjective is inspired by the breed.

·
2nd Armored Cav
841 Posts
<<<< These two 25 lb. Beasts...They would be Sam and Dave and they are Boston Terriers. The squirrels try and steer clear of my yard, they don't stand a chance. My boys are pretty damn fast and with two of them on a squirrels butt there is no way out. They catch 5-6 a year!

·
rip "Bud"
8,883 Posts
The guy in my avatar weighed in at almost 20 lbs. He kept the squirrels and other critters at bay. He was always bringing us
presents Sure miss him... Been gone to poisoning one year

·
Registered
432 Posts
Full grown collie works. He used to drop the squirrels at my wife's feet in the kitchen.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
Of course some dogs have been specifically bred to be "ratters" but my experience is some dogs just have a high prey drive and are good hunters (and fast).
One of the five Rotties I had could stack e'm up like cordwood ( if I let het). She would actually be crying as she was chasing them. Loved the hunt.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
The guy in my avatar weighed in at almost 20 lbs. He kept the squirrels and other critters at bay. He was always bringing us
presents Sure miss him... Been gone to poisoning one year
Poisoning......... Jesus H.......
Don't know what to say.
If I found out who did it, there would be a life changing problem,

·
Señor Member
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the responses. As to the shooting references: I can't seem to kill them fast enough with my pellet gun, so I'd rather just keep them off the property.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
mountain fiest or cur. my dad has a mix of both and its a small breed (20-25lbs). loveable, smart one minute and kill a coon the next. its a tree dog. my dads trees coon and squirrel. neighbors has a ton of cats with front and back porches. it got loose and effectively kept the cats 'porched' on both sides.

·
Registered
42,445 Posts
Reactions: Fred Hansen

·
Registered
45,279 Posts
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Has been a scourge to varmints for 18 years now. He isn't as fast, but they still scatter.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Any dog or cat with the right attitude will do. :bringiton:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts