GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So pa opened squirrel season a lot earlier this year. I've been hunting squirrels 23 years and never knew they got bot flies.

I could have gone to the grave not knowing that and been okay.

I shot one today and found this.
Screenshot_20200926-210521.png

It exited the squirrel while I was watching. I took video, it was horrifying.

I'd rather gut ten deer than see that again.

·
Registered
19,515 Posts
I've seen them with neglected horses and with abandoned cats

Reactions: Road Dog

·
Registered
12,359 Posts
I have heard about it but not seen it thankfully. Did you kill it with fire?

I thought the season for squirrels was 365 days/year.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Growing up in West Virginia we were taught to always wait for the first freeze before squirrel hunting. The flys are common on any animal during the summers.

/
I remember something similar about eating rabbits at only certain times of the year. I was just a small kid; so I don't recall the details. However, I do remember my Dad was adamant about it.

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
I remember something similar about eating rabbits at only certain times of the year. I was just a small kid; so I don't recall the details. However, I do remember my Dad was adamant about it.
Tuleremia on rabbits. Evidenced by white spots on liver. ONLY hunt rabbits after a HARD FREEZE. Wear gloves when dressing (good idea any time) and discard rabbit if there are white spots on liver.

Last Bot fly I remember seeing was on Jackrabbits in Texas. Disgusting sight.

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
It is disturbing when you shoot an animal and then find something like this.

A few years ago I shot a large black duck in the winter only to find it had something called rice breast. Yuck.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Yeah, my dad called them "wobblers". Usually we would not hunt until Thanksgiving but I have seen them. One reason I never ate squirrel.

·
Ornery & Irreverent
11,022 Posts
JEEZE DUDE! Warning in thread title 1st - PLEASE!
<shudder>

·
Registered
142 Posts
Here in VA, squirrels prior to thanksgiving almost always have bot fly larvae. Instead of "wobbles" as above, we call them "warbles".

·
Registered
17,619 Posts
Growing up in West Virginia we were taught to always wait for the first freeze before squirrel hunting. The flys are common on any animal during the summers.
Same in GA. Squirrel season opened here 8/15 but if you shoot one now it is likely you will find one with a larve. The old timers around here called the 'wolves'.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts