close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Squib - Total Failure!

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by bogey3737, Apr 9, 2010.

1. bogey3737

bogey3737 diablo azul

Visited the range with my Father-in-law today and felt like renting something new. They had a S&W 1911 PD (Commander-size), so I thought I'd give it a go. Bought a box of Fiocchi 230gr FMJs from the range shop to run through it...about halfway through the box, I loaded up a mag and fired the first round.

POP! Just a primer...I don't think there was any powder in the case! I dropped the mag and ejected the empty casing...held the muzzle downrange and saw no daylight in the chamber...uh-oh! The bullet lodged in the barrel, rendering the gun completely inoperable.

Gave it to the rangemaster to deal with and finished off the rest the box with a rented P220 - free of charge, of course.

Sure glad this happened on the range and not in a life-or-death situation!

2. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Squib loads aren't too uncommon.
    When I bought the Kel Tec P3AT I bought a couple boxes of MagTech JHP .380. The very first round was a squib. It made it out of the barrel, but just barely. Of course I couldn't trust the rest of the ammo, so I shot it all.

3. DonD

DonD

My uncle, long since deceased, was held up by some street punk. The creep fired an Ortiges .25ACP at him. The first round was a squib, the guy fired again with little effect but the second shot ringed the barrel.

I would think that premium as opposed to generic range ammo from manufacturers would be less likely to have squibs or other malfunctions. Don

4. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

When I read "Total Failure" I thought you meant the gun blew up.

What you describe is a normal day at most matches I've been to.