GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Glock Sport Combat holster is great for my G19 and G44.

It's too loose for my G48- the gun sits in there ok but doesn't have the detent click or enough friction to keep it in place during physical activity.
Has anyone tried getting an extra holster, compressing (books, vise, etc) the holster to G48 thickness, then using a hair dryer or similar to heat it up "just enough" and then let cool, so it becomes right for a G48?
Might be able to do the same with the mag pouches?

I've reheated other plastic holsters and it worked ok, but not so sure it will work on the Glock polymer.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have mentioned that I find kydex to be less comfortable (too rigid) and also much noisier when you draw- alerts the bad guy if he isn't looking at you as you draw.
I'm still looking for the perfect holster...

·
NRA Life Member
64,143 Posts
Seems like a lot of work for a cheap-o holster. Why not just buy a good holster?

I agree that I don't care for kydex holsters, although "alerts the bad guy" doesn't make much sense unless you are a hitman. Otherwise, you are so unlikely to need to sneak your gun out of the holster against a bad guy who isn't attacking you already that it's like being struck by lightning at the moment you win the lottery.

However, the solution to your problem seems to be to buy a decent leather holster. Kydex is mainly popular because anybody can make kydex holsters in their garage with very little skill or learning curve, so there's a wide variety available, but leather is still what holsters are made from.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nobody has answered your question OP.

The answer is that that type of polymer is generally not able to be modified with heat. There are thermosetting plastics and thermoplastics. I forget which is which, but one can be modified by heat, as long as it isn't too much heat, and the other one will only melt if it gets hot enough to soften. And you definitely cannot shrink it. Best case, you can stretch it bigger.

The solution is that to do what you want, you need another type of holster, which other people have suggested.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Seems like a lot of work for a cheap-o holster. Why not just buy a good holster?
I beg to differ , I have drawers full of holsters both leather and Kydex , both cheap and expensive and I prefer the Glock S/C over all of them for OWB wear .
THE GLOCK S/C IS A GOOD HOLSTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Custom Title Goes Here
1,452 Posts
Seems to me if you move the plastic one way, you move it another as well. If you get the holster to shrink and fit against the side of the gun, you will make it too long/loose for the height of the gun.

I agree with everyone else who says "just get a correct holster for your gun and don't try to modify an existing one".

·
Working Member
225 Posts
Lordy, Lordy, Lordy...why do people hate on the Glock Sport Combat holster?? I've had one for over 20 years. I use it myself at the range 2/3 times every month, as well as for my (dozens and dozens) of students. Darn thing is indestructible!!

Now...as to modifications, I've also done many mods on the Glock SC holster - though none that required heating. Mostly just cutting off the belt wings and attaching "C" clips for IWB.

I'm gonna have to agree with ThatGuyYouKnow and suggest that if you were indeed able to heat it and squash it down to get the detents to fit the G48, you'd end up with too much play forward-and-backward. This is a bad thing!

I've also played with making Kydex holsters (this one is my EDC).
My G17C ECD.jpeg

I understand what you mean about the slight noise it makes when drawing the firearm - but I would suggest that in the midst of a DGU scenario, the slight noise is the last thing you should be worrying about.

Strongly suggest you get a sturdy Kydex holster that's made specifically for the G48 & one that fits you.

Stay safe.

·
Values. Can't be bought.
11,290 Posts
Perhaps a gun cozy will help snug the fit. :couch:

Reactions: Redeemed

·
Philippians 4: 6-7
9,532 Posts
Reheated plastic holsters? Doesn't that kinda tell you that you have the wrong holster?

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
This
It is a real holster and works fine with the models that it's designed for.
It's not for the G48 so makes no sense to mod!

You can get all kind of holsters for the 48 almost everywhere I got mine from Concealment express and I'm very happy with it!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts