close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spyware removal programs...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TED, Mar 11, 2006.

1. TED

TED Millennium Member

I currently am using Spybot Search and Destroy. I think I need more or better programs. I am hoping to find some decent free-ware. Any suggestions, other than Spybot which I already have.

TED

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

If you have Spybot 1.4, you are good there.

Try Ad-Aware and see what all that finds. Just know that it'll detect certain changes you make in the OS, with SP2 installed at least.

I turn off the alerts in the Security applet for firewall, windows update, and AV and AA always points them out.

So I just uncheck them or make an exception for them.

3. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

Microsoft's Anti Spyware is the single best tool out there, IMO, and that opinion is shared with the majority of the IT people I associate with. Spybot is a close second, and ad-aware is also very good. It isn't a bad idea to run several anti-spyware programs, as sometimes one will catch something the other doesn't, and vice-versa, but it's important that you don't enable the "auto protect" feature on more than 1 anti-spyware program. Enabling more than 1 auto protect feature can cause serious problems. -dok

4. Bronson7

Bronson7

Microsft's is good but has noticeably slowed down my system where as Spy Blaster has not (for blocking, that is).
    Bronson7

5. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

I also use Spybot along with Ad-Aware and the Microsoft one. I have a 13 year old son who loves game mods....aka viruses and spyware :p

6. Tom34

Tom34 Obama Must Go!

I've been running the MS Anti-Spyware will no noticeable slowdowns.

There is a new program/update that is called Windows Defender. I guess it is the next generation of the Anti-Spyware program.

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

8. TED

TED Millennium Member

MAybe that is the problem, my spybot is not the current version it seems. I am interested in some of the other programs though. I'm surprised that the Microsoft one seems to work so well.

I though that all they did was make new, better, and bigger, security leaks ;-)

TED

9. antipop

antipop

ted, most people use spybot and adaware at the same time. there are some forms of spyware and malware that just one does not detect.

also, the MS anti-spyware is probably the best thing microsoft has released since windows 3.1

go to www.security-forums.com , register, find the most current version of 'hijackthis'. go over the FAQ's pinned and stickied in their forums/website, and once you have done that run the hijackthis utility, post its log in the appropiate section of security-forums, and they will advise you if there is anything awry.

if you have even just a rudimentary knowledge of your OS and are actually adept with registry editor, you can probably forego posting to those forums, and do it yourself. doesnt take much to see what shouldnt be there.