close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Springfield XD/ XDm - What do they do better than their Glock counterparts?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by picturethis, Jan 9, 2010.

1. picturethis

picturethis

Most everyone on here is a Glock fan, obviously. I'm sure everyone who is open minded has considered an XD or an XDm, and has more than likely been offered a trade by an XD owner for their Glock. I was on the fence for a week or 2 about either an XDm or a Glock, and I went with a G22. Both are nice guns, and pretty similar. What features of the XD do you wish were incorporated on the Glock? Do you all like the look of the Glocks better, or do you think the trade off is getting a gun that works better, but falls short in the looks department to the XD. Comparing which is "better" is comparing apples to oranges, but do you ever look at an XD and see a feature on it that you wish your Glock had? Seems like the XD is the closest "copy" to the Glocks, so this kind of thing is only natural. Chevy guys always dispute with Ford guys, and Glock guys always get into it with Springfield XD (or even 1911) guys.

2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I don't think XDs are much better looking than Glocks. Glocks have a certain elegance of simplicity that either appeals to a person or doesn't. I think the XDs look top heavy and even blockier, especially in the subcompacts. The one thing XDs have going for them is the price. Everything else I'd have to give the Glocks an edge.

I rented an XD .45. I did not like it. The grip wasn't comfortable for some reason, especially at the top. I'm not bashing XDs, I think they are good guns, especially for the money.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010

3. Goodspeed(TPF)

Goodspeed(TPF)

Nope, that would be the Sigma by S&W.

I like the Glock series just the way they are. I also own both an XD and an XD(M). -Goodspeed :wavey:

4. Lawman90

Lawman90

They're both an entirely different system, each with it's own purpose. I have a Glock 17, and an XD-45 Compact. The Glock is much easier to detail strip and has less parts prone to breakage (such as that roll pin in the XD series). I went with the XD45c because I wanted a 45 in that size, and it's comfortable to shoot and hold. The G30/SF felt a bit small to me, and the XD45c is closer to the size of the G19.

The cool little gadgets you get with the XD are not (in my opinion) something that should make you prefer it over the Glock, though. The loaded chamber indicator is much better on the XD than the Glock because it sticks straight up versus on the Glock's minuscule jutting out of the extractor. The firing pin indicator is neat, but again, unnecessary. But let me say that the XD a very comfortable gun to shoot, despite it's high bore axis.

Now the Glock keeps it simple and robust, which I like. There's not much else to say about it, and if Glock made a 45 closer to the size of the XD45c or G19 (please don't say G30/SF, already tried this), I would have probably went with Glock. So pick what you like in the gun, and which you shoot best with.

5. rescueswimmer

rescueswimmer

I too looked them over and have to say the xd has some nice features but a glock is just so simple how can you go wrong.

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

The ergonimics of the XDm is outstanding.
    The parts and aftermarket support for the Glock is stellar!
    Trigger on the XDm can be improved upon, but at a three times
    higher cost than working a Glock trigger.

If you want a comfortable, ergonomic, weapon with good features, get the XDm.

If you want a good, solid, reliable as nails weapon, get the Glock.

7. raven11

raven11

two things that come to mind are different grip serrations on the XDm , and the and the package(holsters,loaders,mag carrier, etc) that you get buying a XD

8. Lawman90

Lawman90

I held the XDm40 a few times when I was in the market for something other than a 9mm, and can say I did like the trigger pull on the XDm/XD. That's part of why I got the XD45c, but the reset is awful! The Glock has a much nicer reset for sure.

9. TNGlockman

TNGlockman NRA Member

I love Glocks as much as anybody but I recently bought an XD-45 instead of a G30 because of the way it felt in my hand. The grip of the G30 just felt too big, while the XD felt perfect.

10. kda

kda NRA Life Member

There are some really nice weapons out there but when I was buying pistols for concealed carry and home defense ... nothing mattered more to me than utter and total reliability ... or as close to it as I could get.

I did a ton of research. I ended up with several models of Glock 9 mm. All have been fired hundreds if not thousands of times with never one single issue or cycle problem. Exactly what I was looking for ... simply flawless. And I find them easy to shoot and maintain .. all of this just works for me.

11. Quail Fat

Quail Fat Member

There is nothing I like on the XDm other than the looks.

The trigger still has a long reset.

You can't find replacement parts.

The XDm still has a higher bore axis.

The gun weighs more than the Glock.

You can't get 33rd magazines for the XDm.

The XDm uses an internal extractor.

The XDm frame rails have a lot of surface area, which equals to having more drag.

The XDm is a pain in the buttock to break down to individual components.

I don't fault anybody for wanting an XDm. I think they are nice guns, but the Glock kicks it's rear in most categories.

12. Quail Fat

Quail Fat Member

I owned an XD45c and it was an extremely accurate pistol. The gun was very reliable.

But for 9mm, I prefer the Glock.

13. glockguy101

glockguy101

I have both

Glock 19 and XDM .40

the XDM does not do anything "better" than the Glock.

both are a breeze to fieldstrip
    both are solid handguns and are as reliable as you can get.
    both are accurate

I personally prefer the glock to the springfield.
    my wife prefers the springfield to the glock.

the best to do is either shoot both and choose. or do what i did and buy both. :tongueout:

14. zombie4569

zombie4569

I have owned both...

1. XD's are cheaper (price wise).

2. XD's have one extra step to tear down (lever).

3. They both shoot very similar.

4. XD's are better for smaller, shorter hands.

15. j-glock22

j-glock22

Wow, glad this didn't erupt into another who's gun is better war.

16. itsveryniiice

itsveryniiice

My XD was a great shooter, better than any glock Ive owned, 100% reliable, very nice. Dont know why I like glocks better....one of those things I guess. Same reason I like shooting 1911's better, even though I dont really shoot them any better and 45 ammo is pricey.

17. JurisMyDiction

JurisMyDiction

As an owner of both. The primary diffs are that the grips and grip angles are bigger and more extreme on the glocks (an advantage for me) and that the glocks unfortunately fail the limp wrist test (at least my 17 does) oh and the glock is considered dao, which means it can be used in idpa ssp whereas the xds are considered sao so they are esp. (Hence why I bought the glock) I honestly love both!

18. bac1023

bac1023

Uh, they're completely different handguns.

Basically the only things they have in common is that they're both striker fired polymer pistols.

19. l z rifle

l z rifle

What everyone forgets is that Glocks were made for one purpose only, COMBAT. They have combat accuracy, few moving parts and always have to work. They accomplished that goal.:wavey:

20. Strahley

Strahley

The XD doesn't do anything that a Glock is unable to do, so I have no reason to get one. If I had to get a different polymer gun, it would probably be another M&P (I ditched my old one to get another Glock!)